Kindle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...I just got make a manuscript from a proofreader/beta reader today.  Unfortunately, I already posted after getting back everyone's but hers.  She found some errors no one else did.  I'm shocked.  How can so many miss the same half dozen typos.  :-\

I'll wait for her input before posting any more stories.

So I just went back and uploaded the corrected copy, but feel bad for the 2 people who already bought it.  If I knew who they were, I'd send them new copies.

I think I'll slink off to bed.  Gotta to to work in the AM.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Don't feel too bad, you're not alone. I have had many beta readers and gone over it myself so many times I hate my book, then my proofreader found sooooo many errors and then I published and still I've had to re-uploaded my MS about four times now. It could be as small as finding one "breath" that should be "breathe" I'll upload a new version. Two readers isnt that bad. I've had many readers and I too would reach out to all of them if I could. If the story is good and the writing is good, they'll forgive you. Mine have.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Don't worry, we all do this at some point. But there is a way to get the corrected novel into your readers' hands... contact KDP/Amazon customer service via email, let them know you have updated your manuscript due to errors, and they will alert the customer that a new, updated version is available for free along with instructions on how to download the error-free version (and they say it's due to formatting errors, so we don't look bad ;D). Best of luck with your book!

·
Registered
554 Posts
We are humans - and the readers that buy are also human - mistakes happen so I wouldn't worry too much about it. I have noticed one or two in my novel - but am figuring out how to edit it on Amazon....

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
No harm. It was only 2. I'd say with that many, most people won't even notice. Just fix for the next bunch. It's nice to see someone being to concerned for this though. :) I think if you care, that's half the battle.

·
Registered
342 Posts
WriterGurl1 said:
Don't worry, we all do this at some point. But there is a way to get the corrected novel into your readers' hands... contact KDP/Amazon customer service via email, let them know you have updated your manuscript due to errors, and they will alert the customer that a new, updated version is available for free along with instructions on how to download the error-free version (and they say it's due to formatting errors, so we don't look bad ;D). Best of luck with your book!
Oooh! That's why I got the "formatting errors" message from Amazon. I just replied them "WTF, there was no formatting errors!" - a couple of typos yes, but formatting was fine. :D Confusing I say. When a reader gets an email talking about formatting errors, and it still looks fine on their eReaders, I doubt they will go pick up the new version. :) Or maybe it's just me.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I would have an pro/semi-pro editor make a pass through the manuscript...then you can really cry. Everyone sees the manuscript differently. I had several test readers, who found errors (different errors, each time)...and then the next test reader found more errors, and I shook my head. Obviously, the errors became invisible to me after the twentieth reading (I got sick of my book too!). It's a constant process, but be glad you can make the changes quickly, and painlessly. I wouldn't worry about the readers who purchased earlier revisions. You'll find errors next year.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
aaronpolson said:
It happens. The beauty of digital publishing? You've fixed the errors for the next buyer...

and the next...

and the next...

(you get the idea) ;)
Yup, this above.

-jb 8)

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all of the advice and support.  It never occurred to me that KDP would contact previous buyers.  Cool.

·
Registered
181 Posts
It happens. After having done several drafts and pass-overs myself, and had the manuscript run by a professional editor and a beta reader, I still found a handful of typos when I formatted the manuscript and read it on my Kindle.

That included this sentence: "If he had chance, he'd kill us all." [missing "the"]

The thing is? My editor and beta were freaking awesome at all the things they found, both grammatically and structurally. You just can't expect everyone to find everything in one (or even two) passes.

·
Registered
88 Posts
It's amazing what is missed.  I had several editors look at mine, post it on KD and then my wife so a typo on the first page - "fir" and it was supposed to be "for" and someone bought it.  What the...how did that happen to my manuscript?  I wouldn't be surprised if there are even an error or two your editor missed - hope not

·
Registered
80 Posts
I can relate too. I send my books out to 8-12 people to catch mistakes and EVERYTIME they only overlap on a couple of things. It’s strange how one person will catch things 11 other people missed. It’s the monster under the bed...every time you look you can’t see it but you still worry it’s there—lurking.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts