Kindle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking the other day how different my Kindle experience is today from when I first received my Kindle in Feb 2009.  I didn't know anything about DRM on books, had never used to Calibre, didn't have Collections just pages upon pages of books, always purchased books from Amazon and no where else and lastly I just read.

Fast forward and I LOVE Calibre and couldn't live without it.  I manage everything within this app.  Books are organized under Collections (thanks Amazon for this functionality) and my all of my books within a Collection are numbered so I know which books are next in the series. I purchase books from everywhere and don't have any limitations on using them on my Kindle.  I listen to music while reading, employ text to speech when driving (especially when I am at a particulary good point in the book).  I learned how to read on the treadmill using with the volume turned down so that the Kindle turns the pages for me.  

I just laugh on how far I have come with this device....any other stories to share?

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
I mentally do the greedy rubbing of hands.  When I got my Kindle in Spring '08, my genre selection was pretty thin (fantasy). Now I have a plethora of books- urban fantasy, epic, YA, etc. It's wonderful!

I read more books, more often and making book selections when traveling is no longer a nightmare. Sigh, ok, putting the iPad down to hug my Kindle. *my precious*
;D

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
I still only use my Kindle for reading books...and actually reading them.  However, it has opened my eyes to the possibilities as an author and as a reader.  I have found novels and authors I would not have found without the Kindle.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I bought my first game for the Kindle back in October. Now I have so many games on my Kindle that it's cutting into my reading time!

Also, I used to do nothing but read books -- but I tried surfing the web with my Kindle once (while I had an hour to kill waiting for a friend of mine to show up). Now it's something I do several times a week, as a nice way to switch over to "live" news content from the web rather than the "static" text of my e-books.

And of course, that led me to subscribing to blogs on my Kindle, so I could get new news every day...

·
Registered
16,323 Posts
I still prefer to use my Kindle for reading, but it has opened me up to reading some genres and authors I never would have tried before.

·
Registered
78 Posts
My life has changed, too. I only got my Kindle in January of this year, but I discovered another world. Through discussion boards such as this, I discovered that I could publish my books in ebook form. I doubt I would have ever known if it weren't for buying my Kindle, because I wouldn't have known how easy it was or where to go.
Also I've got so many classics and I didn't have to pay for them. I've missed them. I was an English major but I moved back to Hawaii last year and had to give a lot of my books up. So now I have them on my Kindle, and I don't have to worry so much about space- I live in a small one bedroom apartment so I don't have a lot of space. I read faster on my Kindle than with print books, too. I'm meeting a lot of wonderful people on Amazon's forums, here, and other places because of my books and because of the Kindle. I would be totally sad if something ever happened to it, knock on wood.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Jesslyn said:
I mentally do the greedy rubbing of hands. When I got my Kindle in Spring '08, my genre selection was pretty thin (fantasy). Now I have a plethora of books- urban fantasy, epic, YA, etc. It's wonderful!

I read more books, more often and making book selections when traveling is no longer a nightmare. Sigh, ok, putting the iPad down to hug my Kindle. *my precious*
;D
Haha Jesslyn you made me laugh. :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts