Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Often we writers struggle to come up with the 'right' title for our novels. But we have to have a care in case we pick a title that probably does more harm than good. I had a novel published in hardback by Hale of London a couple of years ago. I called it THE THIRD SECRET. Felt pretty good about that too. But once it had been published I discovered that Steve Berry had written a best seller by the same name. I don't think my book could ever have competed against that, never mind how good the book was (it's brilliant, actually). So, now I am planning to bring it out in paperback and Kindle, but with a different title. It will be called ROSELLI'S GOLD. I just hope none of the big guns have used that one. I blame no-one but myself for that mistake by the way.

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
I don't like the title of my first book. It's too common, but I love the title of my second.  ;D  I also love the title I've come up with for my third, which will be Deeds of Mercy.

·
Registered
5,262 Posts
I haven't picked one yet. Without exaggerating, I'd say I have around 50 possible titles on my title list, none of which feels like "the one". The two things I haven't settled on, the title and the protag's name. But at least I got the important stuff out of the way.

·
Registered
3,548 Posts
I love my titles and I'm glad I decided to do a 'Justice' series. Third book is written, fourth is being constructed at the moment!  ;)

·
Registered
925 Posts
At first, Multiples of Six was going to be the trilogy title, with subtitles to distinguish each book in the series. Then, when I had it on paper, I hated how jumbled it was. So, I thought on it a bit and came up with corresponding titles to books 2 (Divisible by Six) and 3 (Power of Six [still not sure about that one]). Looks much neater on a cover! :)

·
Registered
415 Posts
I love the title for my book "Revelations" because it's perfect for the concept, the theme and what happens in the story.  However, I happened to google it one day (a few months after it was out and there were so many books by that name.  Seemingly hundreds of biblical commentaries, then books that contained the word revelations by other established authors and then about 45 pages in on the google search came my book.  (Just kidding, not 45 pages, but many pages in)  By that time I couldn't bring myself to change the title but from now on I will try to think of more unique titles that somehow still fit the stories.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I play around with titles all the time, and usually it's one of the last things I come up with.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I like most of my titles, but the one I'm not happy with is the one a publisher insisted I change from Screwing Cupid (it was meant as a pun because the heroine was out to get him) to Dating Cupid. The bubblegum title I'm sure is the reason the book didn't do as well even though it's received excellent reviews. My most popular title is Delicate Freakn' Flower which readers have told me made them buy it without even reading the blurb :)

I think titles are super important because if it doesn't grab a reader's attention, then you're screwed, good story or not.
Eve :)

·
Registered
918 Posts
Demonspawn I like, but didn't realize there was another book entitled that.  :(

Dead Living I like also.

Mind Slide is my favorite title.  I think just the title alone gets the imagination going.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Finally decided on a title for my first book this week, but now I'm second guessing it.  Didn't realize a nice title would be so hard.  I figured I'd have something in mind by the time I finished the first draft, but no such luck I guess.

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
I'm happy with my current title, BADWATER, because Badwater is an iconic spot in Death Valley, where the action takes place. It's also an ironic play on words because the bad guy threatens to poison the national park's water supply. I also like it because it's short and my fingers don't get tired typing it.  ;D

My next book, in revision, is titled VOLCANO WATCH. Not so sure about that one.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
When I got towards the end of A COVERT WAR, I had still not figured out a title. It wasn't until I was reading through my work that I came across the phrase in one of my character's dialogue pieces. It sort of leapt out of the pages at me. Job done, and it satisfied the point of the story.

·
Registered
3,651 Posts
I highly recommend crowdsourcing something like this on Twitter. It really engages people and you can get some great ideas. I changed the subtitle of my forthcoming title (non-fiction) based on some great feedback.

I do this with covers too, and people love it. It's a nice way to build a little bit of excitement about an release and to get people interested.

Also, it's a non-spammy way of saying "I have a book out soon."

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
EveLanglais said:
My most popular title is Delicate Freakn' Flower which readers have told me made them buy it without even reading the blurb :)
Yes, I love this title. I like to tell my husband I'm a delicate flower...but he always tells me I've got some weed in me. ;)

1 - 20 of 45 Posts