Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since the Kindle itself is rather "green" - since you can hold an entire forest worth of books in it! - I was just wondering how many other green things folks may be doing. Here are some that our family does:

- changing incandescent bulbs out for compact fluorescents

- recycling

- composting

- riding/walking short distances (to work, the store, etc.)

- buying organic products

- buying locally (such as farmers markets)

- using electricity produced from renewable/sustainable sources (like wind farms or hydro)

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I studied on line and in the stores about the compact florescent and then made a talk at our neighborhood association and presented a box of the CF L's as the door prize. I am gradually trading out all of my lightbulbs as we speak. I also recycle.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
-changing incandescent bulbs out for compact fluorescents

check!

- recycling

check!

- composting

we did for awhile. Not so much now.

my husband is better about this than me.

not specifically.

yes.

- using electricity produced from renewable/sustainable sources (like wind farms or hydro)

no...but if I had the option I would.

We also keep the thermostat very very low and pile on the blankets.

This summer's big project was to completely clean out the attic and build a whole new floor and insulate it, which should result in significant heat savings in the kitchen.

We have two cars (not SUVs) that get pretty good gas mileage, too.

L

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
recycle avidly
reuse/recycle plastic bags
Use cloth grocery bags
fluorescent lights
no paper or plastic plates/utensils
trying to go organic (hard when i am not the one buying food)
no longer print my notes.
decrease use of paper towels (only use it if the dog 'goes' in the house)
I email my essays to my teachers.
only use the SUV, if we have to.
one of the two house has solar panels.

We are trying to go more green, but...
Also in Vegas, if you don't use all the electricity that your panel make, you can sell that electricity to the power company.

·
Registered
829 Posts
incandescent bulbs  (turn off lights when not in the room etc too)

Cloth grocery bags

Drive a hybrid car

cloth napkins

washable rags instead of papertowels  (but I do always have a roll or two in the house for emergencies where rags won't do)

recycle

I buy organic sometimes but not all the time

·
Registered
273 Posts
- changing incandescent bulbs out for compact fluorescents

yep

- recycling

not available here, would if I could

- composting

no space, very small yard

we combine trips, hubby stops by the store on his way home (if needed)

some

yep

sadly not available

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
cloth bags, cloth napkins, cloth grocery bags...yes, do all of that. Good reminder, Kirstin!

L

·
Registered
35 Posts
Cloth grocery bags, when I remember to bring them.

I drive a VW diesel....but I get great gas mileage!

Weather permitting, we ride our scooters to work. They get 65-70mpg!

Here's one. We live in the mountains and it gets pretty cold. We don't really use the furnace (natural gas) but we burn firewood all winter. Would that be considered better or worse than the natural gas since we're sending the smoke into the air?

I changed out the lightbulbs a couple of years ago.

We get all of our bills online and pay everything online.

I no long buy books! ;D

Watersaving toilets.

No dishwasher or loads of laundry unless they're full.

·
Registered
509 Posts
I switched to draught beer in a cup so I don't have to throw the cans and bottles out the car window like I did before.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Teninx said:
I switched to draught beer in a cup so I don't have to throw the cans and bottles out the car window like I did before.
I thought you were tossing them into Lake Winnepesaukee... ;)

L

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
Teninx said:
That's so heartwarming. Not many people would go that extra mile.

I've been using compact flourescents for years. They first came out as a single circle, so I've been using that type and now the compact ones for probably 25 years.

Cloth grocery bags and if I forget to bring them to the store, I recycle the plastic ones.

My a/c is set at 78 and heat at 72. Sweaters and blankets work just fine. And considering I get cold if the temp drops below 70, sometimes hats and gloves.

Definitely recycle, but I'm not a fanatic about it. I don't recycle peanut butter jars because it wastes too much soap and water to clean them.

I refuse to go organic. They just use that as an excuse to jack up the prices.

I've been very careful about how much gas I use since 1974. I try not to make unnecessary trips and combine where I can. Anyone who went through the two hour gas lines in '74 with no guarantee of getting gas, restrictions on how much we could buy, and watched prices double, probably got into that same habit.

So my green score is probably 6/10.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
gertiekindle said:
I refuse to go organic. They just use that as an excuse to jack up the prices.
Well, more and more organic stuff (at least around where I am) is coming down to be competitive with "regular" prices. But even if it wasn't, after doing research on the crap that goes into so much of the food we eat, making the switch was easy. Between the chemicals we ingest and the stuff we breathe in (or absorb on contact) from our homes, cars, and office buildings, no wonder so many people have so many different sorts of health problems. D'oh!

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Wicked said:
I drive a VW diesel....but I get great gas mileage!
Diesel is actually extremely fuel efficient, and VW has been working on a new engine that'll be emissions compliant in all 50 states. I've thought about buying one and making biodiesel, but I'm still holding out for an electric car! LOL! Actually, if work were only about 5-8 miles closer, I'd ride my bike. <sigh>

Here's one. We live in the mountains and it gets pretty cold. We don't really use the furnace (natural gas) but we burn firewood all winter. Would that be considered better or worse than the natural gas since we're sending the smoke into the air?
Well, you'd probably be better off - both in terms of efficiency and emissions - with a pellet stove or one of those outdoor wood-fired heating units (some of which also provide hot water). There are ads for them in Mother Earth magazine, but don't have one handy at the moment. Unfortunately, just burning wood in a fireplace isn't really all that good, much as I hate to say it (I, too, love fireplaces!): a great deal of the heat goes up the flue, the combustion is very inefficient (so a lot of the potential heat from your wood is lost), and wood smoke is technically pretty bad in terms of particulate pollution. :-(

Watersaving toilets.
Ah! Forgot that one. We still need to install dual-flush toilets. But in our next (and final!) house, we'll probably have composting toilets. I know, everybody's thinking, "Ewww!" LOL!

Oh, and yes, several folks have mentioned cloth napkins and rags: that's a big one, actually!

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
My a/c is set at 78 and heat at 72. Sweaters and blankets work just fine. And considering I get cold if the temp drops below 70, sometimes hats and gloves.
We don't have a/c and the heat is at 60. When it gets really, really cold we might go to 64. Never higher. Seriously.

Layers of clothes are good.

L

1 - 20 of 48 Posts