Kindle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking of having some of my books published by Amazon.

I looked through their instructions and it didn't seem like the process was too bad.

However, I was wondering if any of you have done it and if it was very difficult to go through the process?

·
Registered
434 Posts
I would say everyone here with a book cover in the signature has self-published with Amazon.  The getting-it-up there is straightforward.  The real work is writing a book people want to read beforehand and letting people know it exists after it goes live at Amazon. 

Lots of good KB threads on every step of the process.  All the best!

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
It's not too hard, especially if you aren't overly particular about exactly how the book looks. If you have just text-based books (few or no images) it's not too bad. It gets just a little harder if you have images, tables, want a clickable table of contents, jumpable chapters, etc. Some people do it all themselves, and some people hire someone to help.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Create Space is awesome--their help line is amazing. I've only had trouble with the Kindle-format and even that finally was resolved.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
RedAdept said:
Not exactly an endorsement... :D :D
:) I should clarify that *I* am extremely particular, and so yes, there's a learning curve. I wouldn't want someone to interpret my statement as meaning that I don't care how it looks.

Getting images to appear as large as possible without problem (or using images in general); getting the jumpable chapters to work; getting the TOC and cover to be listed when someone clicks on Menu-> Go To -> Cover, or Menu-> Go To -> Table of Contents; getting the book to open for the first time on the precise spot you'd like it to open... these are all things that can cause headaches the first time until you've figured it all out.

·
Registered
768 Posts
The technical process of self-publishing a book to Amazon is not that complex (but can be time consuming) and there are a ton of resources out there to help with the task.

It's my understanding that unless your book is of one of their imprints none are published by Amazon. In fact, in CreateSpace it specifically prohibits authors from representing it that way. CreateSpace is printing a book you sell and in the case of ebooks listing a book you (or a publisher) created.

So to answer how easy it is to get a book published by Amazon? You'd have to look at the submission guidelines for their imprints and consult with authors who were published under those imprints. Konrath is one of them, I believe. Maybe some other authors at KB have too.

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
I love publishing via Amazon.com  Maybe some other authors have had issues with them, but I think they are great.  If they ever asked me to sign an agreement with them, I would in a heartbeat.  I think they are fair.  They have always responed to my inquiries quickly and easily.  They pay on time. 

Just remember, you are in charge of the editing and rewrites, to make sure you do that and make sure you format correctly.  I had a formatting issue recently and it about gave me a heart attack.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts