Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I don't have my Kindle yet....

Votes: 23 17.3%
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This will be my first Kindle- and while I've heard they are really easy to use I'd like to know what you all really think........and if you find the kindle easy to use NOW- what gave you trouble in the beginning?

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Depends on how you want to use it.... If you want to do just what Amazon intended it to do, purchase and download books from Amazon and read them, then it's very easy.

If you want to start loading books from other sources, make custom screensavers, etc., it takes a little more technical knowledge.

G

·
Atunah said:
Poor caveman, I can see his eyeroll from here :D

easy easy easy, it really is. Turn it on and you are off.
That's not good. Sounds like if the Kindle is on she is off and there for can't do anything. Bad wiring?

·
Super Moderator
67,325 Posts
Atunah said:
:D

Or like the car commercial. When you turn it on, does it return the favor? ;D
I'd say, definitely. . . . ;)

Ann

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Pretty Simple.  The only 'hard' part was waking the thing up.  The combination of alt/font was a little strange.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Very easy to use. In my area WN is not very good - even when I have 4 bars and plugged in to charger it doesn't want to download. Just put it on my computer and transfer. Not a BIG problem for me.

I love my K1 (Dewey) and look forward to spending many more years with him!

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
No whispernet -

It took a couple of times to learn how to download but that was finding the right place on Amazon, they have since made it much easier - even a cave man can do it, the hard part was remembering to put the books in the document folder of the kindle.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I gave one to my mom for Christmas..she is in her 70's and isn't afraid of gadgets but isn't the type to figure things out herself.  If you are on this board, I figure that you are more comfortably learning/researching things yourself than she is. 

I sat with her for 15 minutes, going over whispernet, sleep mode, reading and deleting books.  She was off and using her Kindle.

She tried reading the manual a couple of weeks later but said she found it confusing, so i typed up some basic instructions for her. 

She still isn't to the point where she is comfortable buying books herself (via her Kindle or the Amazon site), so she just emails me if there is something she wants.  ::)

But she loves her Kindle  ;D

G

·
^^^ I can see how the text keyboard could be hard for some older or less healthy people to use.  Thank goodness for the option to buy and d/l books via computer.

·
Registered
5,981 Posts
My advice, is don't push all sorts of buttons as soon as you turn it on. I did that, got lost in the user guide, got flustered, hit more buttons, and managed to freeze it. I restarted it, looked puzzled, my fiance hit took it from me, got it to the home page, and all was good.

You will be excited when your Kindle arrives. Take a deep breath and proceed calmly through the users guide. It will take you no time to figure it out.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts