Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today was amazing. I did my first whispernet download while shopping in Buffalo. It was an amazing thing and one that I know now for a fact puts the Kindle ahead of the crowd by miles. I may not get to experiance whispernet very often as we live in Canada but aren't you guys ever lucky to be able to do this daily. My friend who owns the Sony was amazed. We sat at the foodcourt and we watched how fast books downloaded, all the options that I had, sample chapters, the list went on and on. We used to think our ereaders were very similar, not any longer. She is willing to give up her Canadian citizenship in order to get a Kindle. ;D
I think the only thing I didn't like about whispernet, and it probably had more to do with my settings then anything, was I deleted a number of books off my kindle using content manager but while downloading my new purchases all the ones I deleted showed up. I'm still amazed that it was all done in matter of seconds.
Hopefully with version 417 of the Kindle we'll be able to access whispernet here. I mean it only took 3 years for the iphone to show up. :D

·
Registered
869 Posts
Hi, Madrye -

I'm glad to hear of your joy in discovering the wonders of Whispernet!!! ;D

It is pretty awesome.

Marci

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Hopefully with version 417 of the Kindle we'll be able to access whispernet here. I mean it only took 3 years for the iphone to show up.
The iPhone came out on June 29, 2007 so it hasn't even been out for three years yet. When did it arrive in Canada?

L

G

·
She is willing to give up her Canadian citizenship in order to get a Kindle.
:)

I'm sure they'd accept that as a valid reason to want to become a US citizen.

Leslie said:
The iPhone came out on June 29, 2007 so it hasn't even been out for three years yet. When did it arrive in Canada?

L
Um next year?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've had my iphone since October of 08. I know slight exaggeration but it feels that way here.

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
I used whispernet when I first got my kindle in the Houston airport on the way back to Mexico and it is awesome.  However, I am glad I don't have it here, my budget wouldn't handle it LOL but then I didn't know about free books, etc.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Can I confess?

I purposely sat on a bike at the gym near someone who was using the sony...just so that I could connect to the K store and use whispernet in front of her. Sort of mean; but I so enjoyed it.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
sjc said:
Can I confess?

I purposely sat on a bike at the gym near someone who was using the sony...just so that I could connect to the K store and use whispernet in front of her. Sort of mean; but I so enjoyed it.
lol ;D that is meaner than me taunting my friend who bought a sony just because its immediate availablity! still its an impulse I understand.

We like children (jestfully) going:
My ereader is better....lol

·
Premium Member
63,461 Posts
sjc said:
Can I confess?

soooo bad yet sooo good!

Betsy

·
Registered
35 Posts
I love the eReader fans, they bring out the Alpha-Geek in me! I recently got in a debate with a passive-aggressive coworker who happened to be a Sony e-reader owner. I wont go into details but he came across as slightly condescending when he noticed I owned a Kindle. His only real argument was that the Sony was more aesthetic than the Kindle. Needless to say I trounced him in the function over form arena with whispernet, Amazon support, book cost/instant purchase, web browsing, online conversion tools for other formats, email access, etc. I enjoyed the debate and satisfied my inner geek as well.

The Sony is a competent reader... just not in the same league as the Kindle.

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
Bluejarzen said:
I love the eReader fans, they bring out the Alpha-Geek in me! I recently got in a debate with a passive-aggressive coworker who happened to be a Sony e-reader owner. I wont go into details but he came across as slightly condescending when he noticed I owned a Kindle. His only real argument was that the Sony was more aesthetic than the Kindle. Needless to say I trounced him in the function over form arena with whispernet, Amazon support, book cost/instant purchase, web browsing, online conversion tools for other formats, email access, etc. I enjoyed the debate and satisfied my inner geek as well.

The Sony is a competent reader... just not in the same league as the Kindle.
Betsy the Quilter said:
soooo bad yet sooo good!

Betsy
What she Said!

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Bluejarzen:  I hear you.  Something great about having that satisfaction.  It's so rewarding when pit against a self-promotional fool.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Karma's not to be messed with. After bragging to my friend and showing off the Kindle vs. her sony my kindle screen has broken. I'm getting a new one on Friday and I'm sure that Sony's customer service can't compare but I think in the future I'll brag a little less loudly :D

·
Registered
175 Posts
madrye said:
I think the only thing I didn't like about whispernet, and it probably had more to do with my settings then anything, was I deleted a number of books off my kindle using content manager but while downloading my new purchases all the ones I deleted showed up. I'm still amazed that it was all done in matter of seconds.
I love it! There was a guy demonstrating a Sony Reader at Borders a few weeks ago and he wanted to see my Kindle. He was pretty impressed!

You might look again at your content manager- I thought the same thing, "why are these books showing up that I just deleted?" but if you look carefully underneath the title it says, Kindle, Amazon, or SD Card, showing you where it's saved. Meaning you might have deleted it from your kindle but it still shows up because it's saved for you on Amazon.

Or maybe not. But I know that threw me off for awhile. :)

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
When you delete books from the Kindle memory or SD card, they will still show up in Content Manager with an "Amazon" icon underneath, unless you change your settings to show Kindle only or SD card only (only applies to Content Manager, not Home Page).

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
SusanCassidy said:
When you delete books from the Kindle memory or SD card, they will still show up in Content Manager with an "Amazon" icon underneath
IF you purchased them from Amazon. If you bought them elsewhere and transferred thm to your Kindle, they will be truly deleted. That is why you should always back up purchases to your computer made from non Amazon sources.

Steve

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
madrye:

So sorry to hear about your screen; that is awful.  Did you get the $180 replacement option? I hope so; though I don't know how much longer is going to keep that deal...grab it while you can.  All the best with your replacement kindle.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I don't know about the $180 replacement offer but I do know I skipped my sister's baby shower on Sunday to drive to Detroit and back to pick up new Kindle that was waiting for me at my in-law's. (about a 10 hour drive both ways and a border crossing) Now that's devotion to the kindle. They just me a new one which is great and my warranty starts from this month instead of October when I orginally got it.

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
madrye - I guarantee you that it was worth the trip!  ;D if you have not found that out already!  :p

1 - 20 of 20 Posts