Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've enjoyed success on Amazon primarily through Select and free promos, but have yet to see any movement on BN, Kobo, and iTunes once I've moved out of Select. While I've scored good reviews, word of mouth hasn't carried to other platforms. Does this require a grassroots effort? Anyone have any promotional suggestions for non-Amazonian retailers?

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Suppose I'll have to make that leap when the time comes. BookBub = pricey. Although, in another thread, folks seem to make their money back.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
I've had good results with Bookbub too. But honestly, the people that I see do well on those other channels usually go free there at some point, gain some visibility (because it's so freaking hard to do that on B&N, Apple, and Kobo), and then go from there.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
It seems like Bookbub + permafree book 1 of a series is the best bet as of right now. 

Anything else and you'll likely end up dressed in a clown suit, covered in blood, chanting Hugh's name in some dark ally somewhere.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Tbert204 said:
Anything besides BookBub that gets cross-platform visibility? Just wonderin.
Write romance / YA?

For now it seems like Bookbub has the largest *paying* readership that spans all genres and storefronts. That alone makes me think they'll be around for a bit. I haven't heard of any other ideas for getting traction there, but I'll follow the thread to see if anyone has any suggestions.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Tbert204 said:
Anything besides BookBub that gets cross-platform visibility? Just wonderin.
My 1st book has/had a big following over there. There was chatter on their boards about the title. It took a while. I'm starting new on iTunes (2 months in). It's the same thing when starting out, ppl have to find you 1st. Something else I noticed is that B&N and Kobo's search engines SUCK. Provide links to your titles on your website and social media pages. Don't make them have to work hard to find it.

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
chrisanthropic said:
Anything else and you'll likely end up dressed in a clown suit, covered in blood, chanting Hugh's name in some dark ally somewhere.
I call this Tuesday.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
holly w. said:
My 1st book has/had a big following over there. There was chatter on their boards about the title. It took a while. I'm starting new on iTunes (2 months in). It's the same thing when starting out, ppl have to find you 1st. Something else I noticed is that B&N and Kobo's search engines SUCK. Provide links to your titles on your website and social media pages. Don't make them have to work hard to find it.
Ooo, good idea with the links. Hadn't thought of that.

·
Registered
783 Posts
I do about 25% of my sales at B&N, but I didn't have any traction there until BookBub. I haven't been on iBooks long enough to get a Smashwords statement about sales there. I've gotten my congrats you sold 10 books email from Kobo, so not burning that site up ... yet.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That settles it. Time to get on BookBub. Anyone try Freebooksy? I think it has far fewer subscribers but caters to Amazon and BN. Not sure if it does the others.

·
Registered
13,316 Posts
My sales are 60% Kobo, 30% B&N, 5% Sony, diesel and others and 5% Amazon.

My take on matters:

1. Write a series.
2. Price NO LOWER THAN $4.99. People on those sites are not bargain hunters
3. Have a lot of patience. Don't take books off-put them back on-take them off again yatidatida. Put them on and leave them there. It may take as much as a year to gain any traction on B&N.

Rankings at B&N are very sticky. Once a book gets a sale it gets a ranking of in the 400K. It will very slowly drop, but if it gets another sale a week later, it will rise to in the low 300's. Give it another week and it will drop, but another sale will get it to 200. You will see a very gradual rise. If there are no sales for a couple of weeks, the book will not have dropped half as much as it would on Amazon.

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
Ah, YES to the perma free to help a sale. I put up a perma free nonfiction book with the first chapter of my novel in it, and now iTunes sales equal Amazon for that book.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Patty, most of my few Kobo.com ebook sales are in Australia. can you recommend any good Australian ebook sites for me?

Patty Jansen said:
My sales are 60% Kobo, 30% B&N, 5% Sony, diesel and others and 5% Amazon.

My take on matters:

1. Write a series.
2. Price NO LOWER THAN $4.99. People on those sites are not bargain hunters
3. Have a lot of patience. Don't take books off-put them back on-take them off again yatidatida. Put them on and leave them there. It may take as much as a year to gain any traction on B&N.

Rankings at B&N are very sticky. Once a book gets a sale it gets a ranking of in the 400K. It will very slowly drop, but if it gets another sale a week later, it will rise to in the low 300's. Give it another week and it will drop, but another sale will get it to 200. You will see a very gradual rise. If there are no sales for a couple of weeks, the book will not have dropped half as much as it would on Amazon.

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
TL, when you log into https://itunesconnect.apple.com you will be presented with options for looking at sales and managing your books.

Realize that if you want to UPDATE anything, such as price, summary, cover, or book file, you have to go back to the Producer Application, create another packet, and upload it.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts