Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my young adult horror novel The Vampire Underground perma-free for about six weeks. There was an uptick of sales for the two sequels for the first two weeks, but it's slowed down since. I was just curious how it's working for all of you? Is it helping the sales for your other books?

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
My permafree nonfiction that includes a first chapter of my novel didn't do much on Amazon for sales, but over on iTunes, it made my novel sales MATCH Amazon. So income doubled. (The nonfiction gets about 50 free downloads a day on each venue, and sells 3-4 a day of the novel on each venue.)

My permafree short story with the first chapter of my two middle grade novels took a pair of books that weren't really selling at all into slow steady sellers. Not killing it by any means, but at least they are moving. (Short story gets about 25 downloads a week and sells a couple copies a week.)

I'm not yet willing to do a full novel as perma free. I don't have enough out there.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
I had a perma-free short story for a while, that I unpublished earlier this year. Its main benefit was as a reliable BBOS eliminator... until some kindhearted soul gave it a one-star review on the .com, thereby dropping its downloads from five to eight a day to about five a month. I have no plans to do another perma-free title again - but I also don't write series, so whether there's even any theoretical benefit to be had is debatable.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
I have two perma free.

One has been free for over 18 mths, and I consistently get 2000 downloads a month.  The sequel to that is my bestseller, by 50 to 1 to my other books.

My other has been free for about 8 mths, and doesn't get as near as many downloads, and the sequel sells okay but not nearly like my other one. 

So for me, it is working.  And I don't ever see taking them off of perma free.  They are both novellas at 10K each, so to me it is a no brainer to leave them working for me as they do.

I am considering doing another perma free for my YA series.

·
Registered
598 Posts
I have just a short story permafree. The Viscount and the Witch has been free since October 2011.  It's usually ranked around 3,000 on the free list which puts it the 30's for Historical Fantasy Free and the 90's for Epic Fantasy Free.  When it first went free it was up around 120. I've been really happy with it.  The sales have been pretty consistent over time and I'm really happy with it's free status.

G

·
The first book of The Nameless Dwarf is perma-free. It pops in and out of the top 100 for epic fantasy every week or so and nets about 300 downloads a month. It a very positive effect on sales of books 2 and 3.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
SEAN H. ROBERTSON said:
I've been trying for 12 days to go perma-free for 'Cries Of Vampira' book one, which is FREE, but on Smashwords only. Any reporting would be awesome. Thanks! https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/288339 Free on Smashwords
http://www.amazon.com/Cries-Vampira-Horror-Werewolf-ebook/dp/B004CRTF1M/ Not free on Amazon
I found the trick to going free on Amazon, is having it free at Kobo and B&N. Those two are basically the only platforms I've found that Amazon cares about.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
My perma-freebie is also the first of my mystery series. It works much better in the UK than in the USA. At the moment, for instance, I have had over 1,000 downloads for it on amazon UK this month but only about 170 on amazon.com. It's usually at around 300 or less in the UK free charts and has been no. 1 for free 'British Detectives' on and off for some time.
I would say it definitely drives sales to the others in the series. You can almost see a sort of wave of people working through all 5 of them one after the other.

·
Registered
735 Posts
I posted my results in a thread on the first.  I have two perma-frees.  One full novel and one novella.  I haven't done very little advertising for the novella but sold around 30 copies of the sequels last month.  As of right now, I am averaging selling 10 books a day for the month of March.  I have only been perma-free for just about 4 months and it has been the best thing I have done as far as marketing goes.  B&N has only been free for about a month and a half.  Last month I sold 24 copies or a little under a book a day.  For March I am averaging almost 2 books a day.  

Nothing is happening on Kobo but I've sold a few on Sony.  I'm hoping to get those markets moving as well.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I'm curious, for those that have gone free: Did you always plan to go free, or did you decide to go free later if/when sales didn't meet expectations?

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
BBGriffith said:
I'm curious, for those that have gone free: Did you always plan to go free, or did you decide to go free later if/when sales didn't meet expectations?
Mine was planned to be free right from the beginning. If I went free out of desperation every time a book failed to meet sales expectations, almost all of my titles would be free. :)

·
Registered
735 Posts
BBGriffith said:
I didn't plan to go perma-free. I went with select and when I saw the results after my free promos, I decided to try it. I figured. Why just limit myself to Amazon.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Vivi_Anna said:
I found the trick to going free on Amazon, is having it free at Kobo and B&N. Those two are basically the only platforms I've found that Amazon cares about.
If you set it to free on iTunes, then change the price back and forth (this is real tip, I swear) for a day or two, the bots pick it up right away. I have a friend who did this, got her book permafree in like three days.

·
Registered
160 Posts
We got the rights back to a trilogy of novellas and figured that republishing them individually with the first one free, as well as doing a bundle of all three, would be our best bet.  We spent $15 on stock art for new covers, and the trilogy earned about $30k over the next four months.  Sales have been up and down since, but they're still trucking along.

·
Registered
787 Posts
BBGriffith said:
Is it possible that there's a third alternative, that, after sales beyond the author's wildest dreams, the author decided to go permafree in hopes of taking those sales to yet another level? Note that Wool part 1 went permafree.

·
Registered
979 Posts
I made "The Shelter" free in February and saw an immediate boost in sales. But this month sales are kind of slow. I figure I need to give it at least 90 days to see if permafree is really a viable strategy for me. So far it's only been 20 days since it went free so it's too early to make a judgement. And yeah, I did plan to go free all along. How long did it take you guys to see a sustained sales boost after you went permafree? And is there anyone who has been permafree for 90 days or more and hasn't seen a sales boost?

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Vivi_Anna said:
I started perma free just a few weeks ago (I'm only free on Kobo and iTunes, not B&N, so Amazon will pm to iTunes), and am seeing a good pull through to the rest of the series. A significant increase.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts