Kindle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't yet read anything on the experience using the browser on the Kindle 2. Is it any better than the K1? If the experience browsing the Internet were appreciably better, that might be an independent (but unadvertised, on Amazon's part) reason to upgrade.

Any information anyone has would be greatly appreciated.

(thread title edited after resurrection :) -- Ann )

·
Registered
15 Posts
Having never tried the K1, I can't compare the two.  However, having used a smart phone, I can attest the browsing experience is very similar to that of browsing a mobile version of any website. 

Wikipedia is beautifully displayed in my short Kindle experience, and I can't begin to tell you how many hours i've spent on that website alone in the past few years hopping from one subject of interest to another.  That option alone was a major factor in my decision of purchasing a Kindle.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Not having the Kindle 1 I can't compare, but I like the browser in the K2.  A little slow of course, but it gets there.

Has anyone figured out the difference between basic mode and advanced mode?  And how to set it to stay with one mode or the other always?

·
Registered
121 Posts
The browser isn't bad.  It's basically the same as a standard cell phone but with a much larger screen.  I believe it is Access Netfront which is the same browser Sony PSP's & PS3's and many cell phones use.  It's best to go to the wap/mobile versions of sites.

·
Super Moderator
67,245 Posts
Crodley said:
Has anyone figured out the difference between basic mode and advanced mode? And how to set it to stay with one mode or the other always?
Advance mode will render sites a little better. And I think that once you set that it'll use advance mode until you change it. Of course, if you turn it off or do a reset it will revert to basic mode.

At least, that's how I've found it works on the K1 :)

Ann

·
Registered
121 Posts
Advanced basically turns on javascript and I believe allows you to view full webpage.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
luvmy4brats said:
The web browser on the K2 seems to be the same or just a bit better than KK, but not a whole lot. It's just easier to maneuver through links with the 5-way.

It still crashed my Kindle though :(
Ahh, thanks. A reply comparing the experience between both browsers. I've found that it's crashed the K1 a few times as well. I guess the web browser is still "experimental" on the K2 as well.

·
Registered
615 Posts
luvmy4brats said:
The web browser on the K2 seems to be the same or just a bit better than KK, but not a whole lot. It's just easier to maneuver through links with the 5-way.

It still crashed my Kindle though :(
In my own experience it's about 5 times faster and will crash far less on complex pages
and will bring in some more often than I expected.

K1 won't render some pages more than half way that K2 will, and fairly quickly.

I was using Basic earlier today and later went to another website and found it was now in Advanced, so it must have judged it needed to go to Advanced since I hadn't turned off the device and had not done any reset.

However, in Advanced, javascript hasn't been enabled for me until I do it myself when the website says it's needed.

Basic is the fastest. For plain text sites like mobile versions of BBC, CNN, or MSNBC, etc., use that as it's almost blazingly fast, especially if you 'Disable' images (which are kept small anyway on mobile-version areas). When I want info fast and foremost on a mobile or Kindle, I disable images.

·
Registered
11,722 Posts
Maybe I haven't used it enough yet. I've fiddled with it a bit here and there. This morning, I followed a link from the Amazon Daily and before I could turn to the 3rd page, Bella was resetting. There weren't even any pictures involved.

I have to admit, when it crashes like that, the recovery is much quicker than it was on the KK.

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
Bringing this thread back from the dead... I am reading this on my K3 and this browser is way better in my opinion! Can anyone tell me the wap/mobile web address for KB?

·
Registered
99 Posts
911jason said:
Bringing this thread back from the dead... I am reading this on my K3 and this browser is way better in my opinion! Can anyone tell me the wap/mobile web address for KB?
Holy necropost, Jason! :D

Here you go!
http://www.kboards.com/?wap2

·
Registered
615 Posts
911jason said:
WAY better. I played with it for 2 hours yesterday going to various sites (not mobile-oriented ones)
and experimented a lot.

The Article Mode works VERY well. But so did normal pages. For eInk. I was surprised.

More surprising. I had just gotten the Kindle 3. Battery was half full.

After two hours of wireless, that battery indicator had hardly budged at all. That was even more impressive.

I took a lot of photos as I went and will have some up sometime his week. Still experimenting.

·
Super Moderator
67,245 Posts
"necropost"!  Love it!

(But I have amended the thread title so folks won't skip it. :D )

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
I bookmarked both on my Kindle... I prefer the regular site, but I thought there might be occasions where I just want to skim a long thread quickly, and the WAP version will be better for that.

P.S. The Kindle initially wouldn't let me bookmark both since they have the same page title. The workaround is to rename the first bookmark by highlighting it and pressing right on the directional pad, which gives you the choice to edit. I used "KindleBoards - Full" and "KindleBoards - WAP" for mine.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts