Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know if anyone's already posted this, but WOW.

Scroll down to see a breakdown of the book titles, numbers sold, amount made, etc.

He writes under pseudonyms other than J.A. Konrath, which is why you don't see all of these books popping up on his Amazon page.

http://jakonrath.blogspot.com/2013/10/guest-post-by-tom-keller-and-konrath.html

He is prolific in a way that I can't even imagine. It really drives home the point that there is no better marketing than writing another book.

·
Registered
16,323 Posts
$1.6 million ain't too [crappy] though. I don't know too many authors who can say they made that much. (I do know a few though which is amazing in itself)

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
I love that he broke it out by book and years, and you can see that some of his books didn't do all that well considering.

To me it just shows that readers don't necessarily gobble up all of an author's backlist just because they liked one book or two.  It is all about THE BOOK.

·
Registered
12,722 Posts
I think the OP accidently read books sold for amount made.
He sold 2.6 million books for 1.6 million dollars give or take 10 grand.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Vivi_Anna said:
I love that he broke it out by book and years, and you can see that some of his books didn't do all that well considering.

To me it just shows that readers don't necessarily gobble up all of an author's backlist just because they liked one book or two. It is all about THE BOOK.
Agree with this. I haven't seen any of the highly successful authors (financially or otherwise) sell a zillion poorly written, badly edited, boring books. THE BOOK always comes first. One can only hope and strive to write dozens of THE BOOKS as so many writers now do. :D

Konrath's numbers are amazing, and I'm grateful for what he chooses to share. All the big sellers are amazing. As one who is piddling along, doing good some months, not good others, I always feel indebted to the breakout successful authors. I see them as beacons who attract readers to independent publishing in general. And that is a very good thing for all of us. :)

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
blakebooks said:
Um, not to be a schoolmarm, but that would be $1.6 million in three years.

He shifted 2.6 million books, including free.

;)
ROFL! What's a million or so between friends? ;)

This is what you get when the dyslexic person posts. Thanks for catching it!

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
KayBratt said:
What makes it even more cool that he is such a success is that he is so transparent.
He continually shares information, tips, and hard advice to help everyone in the community.
He truly doesn't have to do that.
But he does.
And he works like a maniac.

Well deserved. Congrats, Joe.

:)
Couldn't agree more. Joe may be controversial, but it's authors like him who give me hope that with as many titles as he has I could be earning as much in a couple of years.

·
Registered
7,976 Posts
The three-year time frame is misleading, though. I've read Joe's entire blog. He's been at this ten years, not three. His work only took off in the last three years, but who's to know if the prior seven years contributed to that or not?

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
What I got out of the article:

"2. Write when you can, finish what you write, edit what you finish, self-publish what you edit, and repeat. And make sure everything you release is as good as you can make it." - JA Konrath

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Cherise Kelley said:
The three-year time frame is misleading, though. I've read Joe's entire blog. He's been at this ten years, not three. His work only took off in the last three years, but who's to know if the prior seven years contributed to that or not?
It is 3 years of self-pubbed earnings only. It does not count any traditionally published income, whether within the 3 years or before.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
ElisaBlaisdell said:
But as I understand it, it's another seven years of backlist--so, instead of 10 books a year, it's 'only' three books a year, on the average. Note the quotes around 'only'. ;)
Ah, yes, I thought you were questioning earnings, not contributing books. Backlist that he received rights back on are part of the books that earned the 1.6m.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I often find these kinds of articles both enlightening and massively frustrating because for me they always leave out the one piece that I need the most, and that's how they got from completely unknown to starting to sell well. In this article, he talks about how in his first year with his one book he sold 27,222 copies of one of his books and then shows us the success from that point forward. I got the same thing when I used to read about Amanda Hockings and her successes. It was always along the lines of "get famous and then use this process to sell more books". It's like the old Steve Martin book where he tells you "How to become a millionaire and not pay taxes. First step, get a million dollars."

As one of those many struggling writers, I'd kill to sell 27,222 copies of one of my books in a year. And this isn't meant to be a complaint or even a criticis of the article because it's great information. It's just a frustration that I came away with having read a lot of articles like these that seem to hint at telling the inside story and it's still a story after the fact.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts