Kindle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Questions:
1) How long after I get book III should I offer the 3 together?
2) How do you price it?

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
I can't answer the questions from experience but I'm planning to release the omnibus version about a month after the last instalment and I haven't decided on the price yet, though the other books are 2.99 so the book will prob be somewhere between 6.99 and 8.50

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I was thinking a month or so as well.
Unless I stay with select which means I will only sell the trilogy in another 3 month.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
I haven't done it yet either, but I plan on bundling my trilogy and releasing it just after the first book of the next trilogy is released. I'll be using it as advertising for the new series. I'll price it a bit less than it would cost to buy all 3 books separately, but not too cheap except for a big discount I plan to do just after book 2 of the new trilogy is out.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Lady_O said:
Thanks, I was thinking a month or so as well.
Unless I stay with select which means I will only sell the trilogy in another 3 month.
I do have to say that the 3 books are released on a 2 month schedule and a new series is starting the month after the omnibus release. So it really is just a release between releases.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
I believe the great and powerful Hugh Howey released the last book in his Wool series the same month he released the Omnibus.
The Omnibus is twice the price of the last book, so I don't think they "competed" with each other.
Considering Hugh's success, I plan to follow that model myself later this year with my own series - assuming I actually finish it. ;)

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
I don't have an answer for you on this.  I just released the third book of my trilogy 35 days ago.  I do plan to offer a bundle at some point and I was thinking either as an anniversary edition or if sales just get so low that it doesn't matter.  You generally don't see bundled versions from traditional publishers until the work has been out for a while or to cash in on holidays or help promote a followup series.

My first thought was a bundle would cannibalize sales of the last book if people are going straight for the bundle.  But there was a thread the other day where someone said that the more books you have, the more opportunities for a customer to drop out.  Even if they like the series, they may not get back to buy book three or four.  Real life might get in the way and they don't have time for a few months or even longer and by then, (no fault of your own) you have been forgotten.  So the idea was to land that sale of all the books upfront with a bundled version at a discount over individual sales.

My feeling is that a trilogy is probably safe from customer drop out like this, but longer series are much more in danger of it happening.  Five, six, eight, or ten books in a series would be more at risk.  However all of this kind of focuses on a pretty small aspect of what might or might not happen.  The longer I'm in this business though I think you really can't go wrong with a bundle version launching the same day vs one a year or two later.  Sales are sales whether they are now or windowed.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks, now I just have to wait for the return from my editor ...
I wish they would sell patience I'd by a big dose, I spent all of it a while back.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts