Kindle Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While my books have been out for a while, I'm kind of new to this ebook technology thing. My books have only been on Kindle a few weeks, and the most sales I've had in any one day is three. How does that compare with others? Can I expect a significant increase in the next few months? Thanks.

Larry Buttram

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
I know some people who went from 3/day to a hundred a day within a few weeks. And others who see a slow but steady rate for months before it suddenly takes off. And those who just see a slow and steady rate.

It's an unpredictable market. Depends on genre, time of year and the amount you are prepared to whore yourself around the internet!

Personally I've sold an average of about 5 a day for the 2 full months I've been live. I think I've got a very slight increase this month over last month, but nothing particularly significant. But I'm running out of places to promote/blog/hang out.

deb

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
I sold an average of 1 book per day for 8 months (some months more, some months less--and not a steady increase). After I put up my 5th book, sales increased to 2 per day in the 9th month. In the 10th month sales took off and have increased through the 11th and 12th months. Everyone has their own story.

When I started, I told myself I'd give it a year before I made any judgment on results. It is now one week short of that year (published first book June 3rd, 2010). I guess I can jump the gun a little and say that it has been a success. I'd probably say that anyway, even if I still sold only 1-2 books per day. People are reading what I wrote and that's really what I wanted. The money is merely a bonus.

Give it time. Don't rush to judgment.

·
Registered
663 Posts
My sales doubled each month (started 3 months ago). Unfortunately, things have slowed dramatically at the end of this month due in part to my lack of marketing (day job getting in the way), so I believe the next few months will be very lean. You get out what you put into it.

I've decided on a long, slow approach for the future in order to save myself a heartattack from the stress. I'm thinking that's probably a pretty good plan. Whatdayou think?

·
Registered
825 Posts
For Sugar & Spice:

Published last day of Nov 2010 and no promo done 'til after xmas. (13 sales)

Jan 2011 - 856
Feb - 2,350
March - 17,000
April, 21,000
May - unknown yet (but totals in last 5 months are in excess of 50,000)

Like Mel said, it depends what you do to market it and whether you get that little bit of fairy dust!

Good luck!  ;D

·
Registered
443 Posts
I don't have much history yet.

April 26th (released first book) to April 30th - 25
May 1st (released second book) to May 27th - 340

I'm hoping this is the start of a steep upward curve.  ;D

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
I started with one a day, sometimes none. It's been building steadily. I'm pretty pleased when I get 10. I'm just hoping to make each month better than the last.

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
Do raw numbers help?  Mine are nothing like Victorine's, who has posted them on her web site, but they are (only for Amazon US):
Jan:  22
Feb:  50
March:  272
April:  2038
May:  2494 (so far)

This last week has been pretty disastrous, I feel like I'm missing 200 sales somewhere compared to previous weeks, but as Amazon hasn't been forthcoming, I guess I'll have to live with it!

·
Registered
64 Posts
For those who are seeing steady bumps (and by that I mean from month to month, whether its from 5 to 10 or 20 to 50), how many of you had done extensive marketing work in the interim?  Have any of you just left the title up, and gone to work on your next project and after waiting about six months noticed an increase?

I *just* released a dark fantasy novella (I'm not sure how novellas as a genre performs in sales, though I'm guessing dismally), which has sold two copies, and I'm essentially just going to walk away and leave it alone to work on my other projects.  I figure one short title isnt going to draw many people and need to increase shelf space outweighs trying to get some blogs to read a novella.

Anyways, the numbers and jumps posted here and by people on Konraths blog are very encouraging!

·
Registered
249 Posts
I'm in awe of some of you guys' numbers. Gives me hope! I'm one of those people who've seen a slow and steady rise in numbers. In fact, I posted a happy post about approaching the 100 books sold in a month mark. (I'm 3 away!) I don't do a lot of promo, but I did send out review copies to a few places and it's gotten really good reviews on Amazon. I've also placed an ad with KND but that doesn't air until August. So we'll see. I want to start writing the sequel to my vamp novella but I'm on deadline for something else so there's no extra time to play. (Darn day job gets in the way of all the fun stuff!) Anyway, I guess I can echo what everyone else has wisely offered, there's no cookie cutter path. Everyone finds their own way to success! Good luck!

Kimberly V.

·
Registered
115 Posts
No sales reports yet, but my sales rankings vary from day to day. I've been posting as much as possible here on the boards, and advertising through goodreads.com. So far this month on my goodreads ads, I've had about 500 clicks, hopefully with clicks to the "buy now" button. We shall see....

Nicholas.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I put my first book out in Nov 2010 (Into the Shadows). I've been an avid social media marketer from the beginning (but not a spammer), but am still sitting at just a couple copies a day, even after 6 months. I released my second book at the beginning of May (Bloody Little Secrets) and so far this month it's sold 54 copies at $3.49, so not shabby. But I'm still averaging about 100 books a month, even with the 2 out. Sales for the first book started dropping last month, but in 6 months I've still sold over 600 copies. It's tough, I definitely believe I've got the total package, great books, great reviews, great covers, great price, lots of social media connections, but I'm just missing that 'pixie dust' that will take me to the next level. I'm hoping I'll find some this summer!

Good luck!

·
Registered
97 Posts
C. S. Hand said:
For those who are seeing steady bumps (and by that I mean from month to month, whether its from 5 to 10 or 20 to 50), how many of you had done extensive marketing work in the interim? Have any of you just left the title up, and gone to work on your next project and after waiting about six months noticed an increase?

I *just* released a dark fantasy novella (I'm not sure how novellas as a genre performs in sales, though I'm guessing dismally), which has sold two copies, and I'm essentially just going to walk away and leave it alone to work on my other projects. I figure one short title isnt going to draw many people and need to increase shelf space outweighs trying to get some blogs to read a novella.

Anyways, the numbers and jumps posted here and by people on Konraths blog are very encouraging!
I'm curious about this too. I've decided not to really do any serious marketing until I've written my second book (for the same reasons as C.S.). I'm sort of curious if anyone else has done this and whether they saw any growth with little to no marketing. Right now, I'm averaging 1-2 sales a day without doing much....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts