Kindle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I jumped through all the hoops and corrected the manuscripts for The Unearthing and Nevermind until they were 100% compliant, but I've been stuck in Pending Approval Hell for ages, now.

·
Registered
47 Posts
That's odd. Smashwords was the fastest of the services (ie - Amazon, B&N, Smashwords) to post my work in their marketplace. Of course, mine was a very short story. Maybe that has something to do with it. I don't know.

Perhaps you could contact someone there to ask whether they are having problems with their automated process. It's possible. Good luck! ;)

·
Registered
627 Posts
Hi Steve,

When I posted my book, it took about 36 hours to get through the "meat grinder", then about ten days to be approved into the "Premium Catalog". I thought that meant my book would be available everywhere. Not so. Books only get "shipped out" on Thursday, but they don't get shipped out to all retailers at once. From there, it takes about 2 weeks to show up on the retailers website...or more. So in other words, the book appears on the Smashwords website after it passes through the meat grinder, but not anywhere else (in my experience).

So to add it all up, my book appeared on the B&N site almost a month after hitting "publish". It never showed up in the Kobo or Apple store, and then I re-uploaded the book to include a linked table of contents so I had to start all over....silly me! Why didn't I think of that before!  :-[

The plus point of re-uploading, is it only takes about ten minutes for your book to go through the meat grinder and two days for your book to get re-approved in the Premium catalog. But then of course, the book will be re-shipped at the usual timeline. Still waiting for the book to re-appear at all retailers....

Did that make your brain explode?  ;)
It's a lengthy process, but I want to reach readers across all devices, and I'm not willing to upload at each retailer seperately  ;) So it's worth it in the end, at least for me.

Here's hoping your book gets out of pending hell soon!

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No, I went through their meat grinder relatively quickly.  It's the premium status thing that's taking for freaking ever.

·
Registered
632 Posts
If you're like me and you did it about 2 weeks ago, I think there was a LARGE influx of authors having to go through the meatgrinder and then through approval.  iBookstore came up with new requirements, so a bunch of people got rejected and had to reformat their books.  My initial meatgrinder run was like 3 or 4 days, and I've been pending approval for 2 weeks.  I figured the large group of authors had to do with the delay, but another week and I will probably be contacting them. :)

·
Registered
5,749 Posts
I pretty much have had it with Smashwords at the moment.

It took 24 hours to get through the Meatgrinder, then 13 days to get approved for the Premium Catalog. But because of the shipping schedule, it hadn't yet been shipped when they started requiring a linked TOC, and they didn't grandfather in the books that had been approved but not shipped yet.

So it was approved on 4/29, but then unapproved on 5/5. Seriously. Unapproved. I didn't even know that was possible.

And of course I seem to be having some issues with emails from Smashwords, so I didn't discover this until the next time I checked my Dashboard, on 5/11.

I immediately contacted my formatter, who redid it for me. She said pretty much all her clients who uploaded around the same time as me had the same problem.

So I re-uploaded on 5/13, and was re-approved for the Premium Catalog on 5/25.

Most of them shipped on 5/29, but Sony hasn't shipped yet. Nothing is up yet.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, as much as I'm sorry to hear all that, I'm happy to know I'm not the only one who's feeling like the abused, deceased equine. 

Marathon, not a race, as I've heard; hurry up and wait, as I've often said...

Welp, gives me time to work on the format of the next one, and maybe doing some writhing for the other one, while I wait.

Hobbies other than writing?  What are those?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts