Kindle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't own a Kindle yet, or else I would just check this myself.

When people get samples, I've heard they get anywhere from the first chapter to 10% of the book. How much do they really get? Is it a percentage, which would make it a different length for every book they get, or is it a standard length, like 10 pages?

Thanks.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Not sure what the standard is.... Sometimes I get a chapter or so.... Sometimes, I don't even get any text, it doesn't get past the titles or dedications.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My friend has an iPhone and his sample is 11,181 words long. The total book is 108,626--so he got slightly more than 10%.

This confuses me when i read about people not getting any text or anything beyond the title and dedications (not in my book, but others). Those books must be really short.

·
Super Moderator
67,251 Posts
According to Amazon, the publisher decides how much of the book is released as 'sample'.  10% or so is standard, but some do more, some do less. . . . .

·
Registered
3,989 Posts
The issue with samples is that the program does not care what the content of the 10% is. For example, many novels have a lot of 'preface material' like dedication pages, cover pictures, or even some blank pages.

So, if a novel has a lot of preface material, that might be all you end up seeing in the sample.

·
Registered
545 Posts
RedAdept said:
The issue with samples is that the program does not care what the content of the 10% is. For example, many novels have a lot of 'preface material' like dedication pages, cover pictures, or even some blank pages.

So, if a novel has a lot of preface material, that might be all you end up seeing in the sample.
I have gotten samples that had nothing of the actual book in them. It was absurd. I got mostly table of contents and dedications.

EllenR

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
In other words it's 10% of the total megabytes, or gigabytes, or whateverbytes.

Wrong Number is a rather short book (51,200 words). I just uploaded a new version that added a cover, T of C, and made some corrections pointed out by a reviewer. I wonder how much of the story shows up in a sample?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts