Kindle Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I'm sure a lot of you established authors dont even remember, but for us newbies its a really big deal.

My first little book was successfully published today.  So excited.

So if you can remember then how long did it take to get your first sale? (Not including family or friends). And how many roughly did you get in your first week?

What did you price your first book at? And did you have to wait a lot longer for your first review?

And if you can be bothered to answer this too: do you still remember your first review? Was it good?

·
Registered
504 Posts
I don't know exactly when I got my first stranger sale. It might have been earlier than I thought at the time - some friends said they were going to buy it, so when I got a sale, I assumed it was them... but then a month and a half later I get a text from them saying "Hey! I finally bought your book last night!"

Sales trickled in like a goldfish swimming upstream for the first couple of weeks. I know I had a couple of strangers, because I had more sales than people I'd told, and a couple of borrows and I didn't know anyone with Prime.

Then after two weeks I did a Select giveaway for a day, and got about 20-30 sales after that, and my first two reviews which were both very positive and made me  :D like a goof all day.

I've been published for exactly two months now and I'm up to 175 sales. About 140-150 or so are probably to strangers. Less friends than you think will buy your book, and some old friends that you don't even expect, will surprise you and go out of their way to buy your paperback.

I can safely say that I personally know all of my Canadian sales though :)

My novella is about 20k words, and is priced at $2.99

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
I had a little bit of pre-release promoting going on with my Facebook page, but I think it took a couple of days until someone I didn't know first bought my book. I had also sent out a few review copies to people who had agreed to do a review (these were non-friends and family) so I got my first reviews up the first week. Happily, they were five stars. I priced my book at $4.99 and only change it for special promotions.

For me, it took me about 30 days to get the 15 reviews I targeted so that I could do my first Select free run. That was successful (giving away 24,000 copies) and I was off and running.

Congratulations on publishing, and you've got the right idea... it is a long road, and you're just taking the first steps on it. Six months in for me, I still feel like I am just taking my first steps on it.

Good luck, and many sales to come for you!

·
Registered
653 Posts
I just published about a week ago! The weird thing was that, right after it went live (and I had told no one I knew that it was going to) I noticed 1 'Borrow' in the sales report. Which had to be a stranger, so that was cool, but I keep wondering how they found it!

·
Registered
90 Posts
I just published on the 24th so I'm new to all this as well. I didn't tell anyone I was publishing early (my release date was supposed to be the 1st) and that night I had my first sale in Canada - to a complete stranger! It was so weird, I was so happy!

However since then it's been crickets. Except for the five friends and family who've bought my book, including the parents who had already read it but bought a copy anyway! Got to love them for that  ;)

·
Premium Member
4,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you guys so much for your supportive comments!

I can't believe this but 24 hours later I've had 5 sales! Little woohoo dance round the kitchen table.

But really went on a momentary downer when i noticed I also had one return.  :(  My husband says that because my book is only 19k words that the person probably actually read it and then returned it to avoid paying. Do you think that might be true?

There have been no reviews as yet though.

I know none of my sales are to friends and family, because I dont know anyone with a kindle and I also havent actually told anyone except my husband, I wanted to see how it goes first.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I loaded my first last week.  Not much interest to be honest.  Twenty sales and one borrow.  But then I wasn't expecting much.  It's very difficult I think at first to get found.  I'm playing around with keywords, category and that sort of thing to try and get noticed lol.  Keep plodding  ;D ;D

·
Administrator
10,117 Posts
Stella Wilkinson said:
But really went on a momentary downer when i noticed I also had one return. :( My husband says that because my book is only 19k words that the person probably actually read it and then returned it to avoid paying. Do you think that might be true?
That does happen, yeah. But if readers do it too often, apparently they lose the right to return books. I think. Sometimes people click the "Buy Now" button my accident and then return the book immediately. I've done that before. It's an easy mistake to make, particularly when you're shopping from your Kindle.

Congrats on your great start! :) Amazon maintains new-releases lists in all the categories. That's how readers find brand-new books.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Stella--

Congrats on publishing!

I had my first sale of A Fine Mess within a day.  The same for Brownies...  I didn't tell any family or friends, so these were 'sales' to unknown person.  Krissy who had 20 sales in a week, wow! that is great success if you ask me.

But also getting the right keywords helps. From your cover I'd say yours is a YA romance.  Make sure the categories are the best ones for the book. Although changing key words and categories seems to "unpublish" the book for a while, so I wouldn't do it while your book is new and still getting some help from Amazon as a newer title.

If anyone has figured out how to change without unpublishing, I'd love to know.  I don't want to hijack the thread though...

Your

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Stella-
don't forget.... you have to market the book too.
Readers, while they are out there looking, may not be buying YOUR book simply because they aren't aware of it.

Try doing some tweeting on twitter with a link to the book
Post a link on your webpage and blog and if you have neither then create one this weekend

And don't forget to post it on Book Bazaar on these very boards- that's usually good for several days of eyeball traffic

Good luck!

·
Registered
530 Posts
Lol @ "stranger sale"...It's funny because you always wonder if those 5 books you sold that one day were your mom, aunt, uncle and grandparents.

I think my first day I sold 3 copies of "Teaching Bobby" with almost no marketing. My first week? Maybe 6-7.

The trick is perseverance no matter what. All writers hit obstacles during the course of their career, and those obstacles come in a variety of forms: No sales, bad reviews, boredom, discouragement and distractions. The trick is to remember that ALL authors experience those same obstacles and some of them stop and give up. But everytime you overcome an obstacle, the group you're running with is that much thinner.

Best of luck!

Mark

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
Good news: Making changes won't unpublish your book. Even though indications show your book in a waiting to publish mode, the original version and information stay in place and it remains available for search and purchase.

·
Registered
997 Posts
It varies. For me, it was the same day--actually a few prior to the official release announcement, because I had some friends chomping at the bit. It waxes and wanes, and I'm still loading out product and bringing promotions on line, but I've sold at least ten-fifteen books a month, every month, since August.

Is it the level I want to be at? No. Will I take it for now? Yep.

By the way, as a note: my success rate on "I'm gonna run buy it right now!" comments seems to be about 50%, based on my estimates.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Sapphire,

Thanks for the info! I'd hoped that was the case, but wasn't sure.  You're my kinda gal.

Changing categories did result in a few new sales. So it is worth changing them to get it right, now I will do so more freely.

Your Pal,

Lina

·
Registered
5,749 Posts
I'm pretty sure my first sale was from Courtney Milan. Or maybe one of the people she'd tweeted to. Because I had NO clue my book was even live and boom! There were suddenly 9 sales on my report. I Googled and discovered that Courtney had tweeted out about my release. (She knew it was coming because I'd posted something about uploading it and waiting for it to go live, so on a whim she checked and discovered it was...long before I knew it was live!)

I ended that first week (this was nearly 2 years ago now) with a little over 100 sales, if I recall correctly.

·
Premium Member
4,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm SO pleased my cover is making the right impression because Yes, it is a YA Romance :D

Would love some advice on Catagories! I picked General Fiction and then Romance as catagory one and then Juvenile Fiction - Romance as catagory two. But it isnt showing up the Cat two and I wondered if I got it wrong and 'they' decided it wasnt Juvenile and didnt put it there (not sure if teens count as Juvies or not?)

Couldnt find a dedicated Young Adult catagory at all.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Having one book out is a small, tiny baby step in the right direction. As you get more books, more reviews, each little sale or borrow will become less significant. The dream is to one day have so much residual income that you don't even have to monitor your sales...You KNOW that money is coming in!

It probably took me 10 days or so to get my first stranger sales.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts