Kindle Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know about six writers who are 4 a.m. writers like myself.  A friend of mine told me that the "akasha period" is between 4 a.m. and 7 a.m./ 4 pm and 7pm and this is why so many musicians, painters, and writers find that inspiration hits them during these hours.  I don't know how true it is, but I used to (not long ago) not be able to really fall asleep until about 6:30 am because I was struck by some kind of inspiration around 3:45 am.  What I have learned to do since then is go to bed about 8 pm and wake up at 4 am a few nights a week.  That way I get some night sleep--there is nothing like night sleep. 

I also find that my evening inspiration does happen around 4 pm as well.  It does last to about 7 pm.

Anyone else?

·
Registered
84 Posts
I do the majority of my writing from about midnight to four am. It's not only the only real time that I have to write, it also seems to be my most creative time and the time that my brain kind of wakes up (if that makes sense). After four, though, it seems like I lose that, so I have a window of time in which I force myself to work. I do some writing during the day, too, but it never seems to add up to as much.

·
Registered
409 Posts
My inspirational period is usually around 6 pm - 9 pm and again from 2 am to 4 am.  I usually burn out around 4 am.  For the last month, I've been staying up late nights writing, promoting, and working on getting my next book to print.

Katrina

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
When I used to work full time during the day, I had to get up early to get writing done.  So most of my writing was done between 4 and 6 am back then.  Now, I sleep later and write whenever, but I am still pretty busy and do my best work in the morning.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Good to know I'm not the only one with the 12-4 am routine. I kind of wonder sometimes if I'm a vampire myself, or at least have a very odd internal clock. But I used to work my actual job-job at night so I think that's part of it.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I'm a member of the 4am club as well, but it's out of necessity. My day job is grueling, and it requires traveling around Manhattan all day. By the time I get home I'm beat. But these books aren't going to write themselves. Sometimes my body cooperates, sometimes it don't, but I try to wake up early in the morning around three. I'll get some work done for a couple of hours, and get an hour nap before running off to the rat  race. Lately, this awesome NBA postseason has been throwing a monkey wrench into this routine, but still, it's all about getting to the end result by any means.

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
I write when I wake up. (Not when I get out of bed mind you. When my brain wakes up.) Sometimes that's 8am, sometimes it's 10am. That seems to be the best time for my creative brain right now. And sometimes after putting the kids to bed. :D

Vicki

·
Registered
632 Posts
I'm too beat right now to write at night.  Instead, I wake up at 5:30 AM and write for a couple of hours(if I'm lucky) before my son wakes up.  My days are too full to write, otherwise.  If I get up at 5:30 and just start writing, I honestly do my best work without distractions.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I try so hard to get up early and do the 4am thing. I'm not always successful. Since I work full-time (in a office), my day is exhausting. I get home and the brain is just fried. So evening writing doesn't work. 4am is definitely best..but I gotta get me lazy carcase out bed!

I also think it doesn't help that my day-job requires lots of writing and brain work.  The times I've managed to pull off the 4am thing though..have been golden.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.