Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many book reviews do I need for Amazon to start making my book visible?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,152 Posts
It's not really a matter of reviews, but sales. More sales equals higher ranking equals greater visibility.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
283 Posts
Jimmy said:
How many book reviews do I need for Amazon to start making my book visible?
Your book is visible from the moment it's published. Though you need at-least 1 sale to get a sales rank.

Your choice of keywords, the title, the blurb - they decide how likely your book is to show up through organic searches. (and the "also bought" feature) But all those combined with the addition of a good cover and appropriate price is what determines if you're going to make a sale.

And the worst part is, Amazon tells you nothing about how your book is really doing, except for simple sales numbers and reviews/ratings. :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,722 Posts
Hi Jimmy.  Sales not reviews make you more visible.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
423 Posts
Maisy said:
That's not entirely true. You do need reviews to get more visability. Sales are only one component of getting Amazon to help push your book. The more reviews you can get in the first 30 days after your book is published the better. I would aim for at least 25 reviews, in addition to getting sales, in the first week your book is published to help get the algos working in your favor.
I have noticed that now mine have more reviews they're appearing in the 'related' section, which they weren't before.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,152 Posts
Maisy said:
That's not entirely true. You do need reviews to get more visability. Sales are only one component of getting Amazon to help push your book. The more reviews you can get in the first 30 days after your book is published the better. I would aim for at least 25 reviews, in addition to getting sales, in the first week your book is published to help get the algos working in your favor.
To get 25 organic reviews in the first week would take about 2500 sales or roughly 350 per day. Ergo, a rank of about #200 to #300 in the Kindle Store, based on those sales. The algorithm is based solely on sales.

Unless of course people review it that didn't buy it. Not a good idea.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,152 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,543 Posts
I think it's a combination of keywords, sales, and reviews, as well as how many people click on your book page. I can't be sure, however. You might want to look at Evenstar's keyword thread. That's one thing you can do right now to get more visible. It's helped a lot with my free book. You can find it here: http://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,205816.0.html

I think a steady flow of reviews, not the number, helps more. I notice that whenever I get a new review, my downloads spike so it must make me more visible for a short time. My free book has 151 reviews, but if no one writes a new one in a while, I notice that my rank suffers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,971 Posts
Wayne Stinnett said:
To get 25 organic reviews in the first week would take about 2500 sales or roughly 350 per day. Ergo, a rank of about #200 to #300 in the Kindle Store, based on those sales. The algorithm is based solely on sales.

Unless of course people review it that didn't buy it. Not a good idea.
There's nothing wrong with sending out advance review copies (ARCs).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,152 Posts
Cherise Kelley said:
There's nothing wrong with sending out advance review copies (ARCs).
ARCs would be the exception and the reviewer should state in the review that they received the ARC. Same with family members who have the same last name. JMO

There are those out there that get a lot of friends to write a review, without having read the book.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
164 Posts
I bought this kindle marketing book that said in order to shoot to the top of the sales chart I had to burn one black candle in an all white room while chanting my book title. I didn't have an all white room so I'm waiting for he second coat to dry  :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
927 Posts
Maisy said:
Again, I would disagree. We have no idea what the algorithm is based on. I would bet it's based on numerous things though. I would prefer to have a lot of sales AND reviews in the first 30 days. I know I read on this very forum that someone's Amazon rep advised them to start an ARC team. ::shrugs:: Everyone has to decide for themselves how to best run their business.
We can test the algorithm, and share what we've observed. So I wouldn't say we have no idea. There was an interesting study done by a German site about the ranking factors: http://www.selfpublisherbibel.de/test-how-amazons-algorithms-really-work-myth-and-reality/

The ranking is a black box, and Amazon can change it whenever. But we can make observations and carry out surveys, and generally treat it as something to study scientifically. But, personally I don't think it's worth the effort to unpick this one, because there isn't much we can do ethically to influence the number of reviews, beyond sending out a few ARCs. It's simply not viable for an indie who's just starting out to arrange hundreds of legitimate customer or blogger reviews. It's better to be writing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
420 Posts
A better question might be: how many sales does a new release need to have before Amazon promotes it? As someone with a new release ("The Atomic Sea: Part Three") myself, this is a very interesting question to me.
 
Joined
·
2,468 Posts
Wayne Stinnett said:
Here's a good example.
http://www.amazon.com/Kings-Emperors-Lewrie-Adventure-Adventures-ebook/dp/B00MEAYET2/ref=zg_bs_7588737011_3

Published last week, Dewey Lambdin's Kings and Emperors (traditionally published), charted quickly with no reviews. Currently, it's slipped slightly to #4211 and has 6 reviews. Oh, and it's priced at $12.99 for Kindle.
Yes, this.^^

.nm

My best guess, based on my experience, is that sales numbers are the biggest factor for visibility.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,641 Posts
jackconnerbooks said:
A better question might be: how many sales does a new release need to have before Amazon promotes it? As someone with a new release ("The Atomic Sea: Part Three") myself, this is a very interesting question to me.
I don't think there are any hard and fast rules. Amazon will only promote it (I'm assuming you mean the Daily Deals emails?) if it catches their eye. Don't rely on Amazon to do your promoting.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
420 Posts
>>>>>I don't think there are any hard and fast rules. Amazon will only promote it (I'm assuming you mean the Daily Deals emails?) if it catches their eye. Don't rely on Amazon to do your promoting.


I was actually thinking of their Hot New Releases.




 

·
Registered
Joined
·
298 Posts
jackconnerbooks said:
A better question might be: how many sales does a new release need to have before Amazon promotes it? As someone with a new release ("The Atomic Sea: Part Three") myself, this is a very interesting question to me.
jackconnerbooks said:
A better question might be: how many sales does a new release need to have before Amazon promotes it? As someone with a new release ("The Atomic Sea: Part Three") myself, this is a very interesting question to me.
This is what I would love to know too. I don't think anyone, we'll most people, is relying on Amazon to do their promoting for them, but you can't deny that bring able to get juiced visibility through Amazon's recommendations emails wouldn't be great. I know little about the algorithm, but I'd have to think both good sakes a good reviews help your book get chosen for those.
 
1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Top