Kindle Forum banner

How many books do you read in an average month?

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started keeping track of the books I read when I got my Kindle, and I realized I read about 12 books a month. How about you? If you have a Kindle, do you find yourself reading more, less, or the same as before you got it?

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
I read between 10 - 12 books a month. If I travel a lot, then I read more. I live in Florida and most of the sites I visit are in AZ, CA and CO, so I read on the plane and in the airport. Long travel days. I usually read a book and start another before getting there. If I get stuck in airports, then I'll finish 2. At home, I have more distractions (my DH) and read less. I don't think I have increased the amount of books I read since buying the Kindle. I still buy the same amount of books and I spend less on the Kindle. I figure I've saved enough on the books I buy that the Kindle has paid for itself. Of course, I spend most of those savings on accessories. :)

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
According to Amazon, its more than 13.  Add the free and discounted books and I'm embarassed.

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
Most months average around 20-25; some are re-reads as I'm one who actually enjoys reading the same book again. 

To be fair though, I read ridiculously fast, I watch next to no TV--other than baseball, and I can read with that on--I don't do movies, and my other hobbies are somewhat curtailed due to health issues.  So it's not at all difficult for me to average 2/3 - 1 1/2 books a day--more if they're short, like a lot of the "fluff" mysteries I read.  And it's pretty rare that I have a day where I read for less than two hours.

My husband has a tendency to walk by & go, "Did that cover change color again?" or "Is this the same sword wielding chick I saw an hour ago?"  LOL  Now that it's all Kindle, his latest comment tends to be, "Geez, you've been reading that green book forever!"

I think that's the excuse I need for another Oberon or two.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
VictoriaP said:
Most months average around 20-25;To be fair though, I read ridiculously fast,
I've had my K2 less than two months. Maybe you and/or the other rapid readers can give me a tip or two about Kindling in fifth gear. I've found it necessary to use one of the smaller fonts, because with a bigger one I have to turn pages too fast. I press the page turn button as I near the bottom and release it when I'm on the last couple lines. Then the screen blinks as I finish and I'm on the next page.

Is that how you do it, or do you have other ways?

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
BrassMan said:
I've had my K2 less than two months. Maybe you and/or the other rapid readers can give me a tip or two about Kindling in fifth gear. I've found it necessary to use one of the smaller fonts, because with a bigger one I have to turn pages too fast. I press the page turn button as I near the bottom and release it when I'm on the last couple lines. Then the screen blinks as I finish and I'm on the next page.

I use one of the middle fonts depending on how tired my eyes are and just turn the page a lot. But I read at my own pace and don't have any special tactics for speeding it up. It's supposed to be enjoyable -- not a race!! ;)

·
Registered
388 Posts
I average about 5 or 6 books a month, but now that baseball season is about to start again that will go down, LOL!

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
kari said:
It's supposed to be enjoyable -- not a race!! ;)
It IS enjoyable. One of the things I like about the Kindle is the way you can hold it steady and turn page after page without it moving (like a book). I like to get into a rhythm. The story on the page just flows automatically. Maybe it's the musician in me....

·
Registered
195 Posts
Depends on the month, I travel a lot for my job.  I say in any month, I read a minimum of 6 books.  Some months I can get as high as one or two a day.  I'm going on a week long cruise starting this weekend, I imagine I'll read a shit-ton of books on that.

·
Registered
123 Posts
It is usually 5. So I put 4-8.  In March I read 12, so I think this year it will vary.

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
BrassMan said:

I'm probably the wrong person to ask--I taught myself to read at 2 years old and have absolutely no idea how I do it. It's just always been that way with DTBs, and now with the K2. LOL

Having said that: I started with K2 on the 3rd font size. I actually ended up moving up to the 4th one for a time, then back down to 3, and now I'm down at 2. I think the reason I needed to keep changing for a bit was simply getting used to the reader itself; the big plus for me to being at 2 is that the less frequent page changes mean my battery is finally dropping slower. I don't honestly notice any difference in actual reading speed because of it. The page turns don't seem to be an issue slowing me down.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts