Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really have no idea how many e-books that I have.  I have been collecting them for years so have a lot in various formats.  Since it is easy to convert them in Calibre, they are all potentially Kindle books.

I have about 5,000 authors and 40 GB of e-books on my computer.  That sounds like a lot, but many are duplicates and some are categories that I don't care for such as fantasy, vampires, and horror.  All of these books are DRM free which makes it easy to work with them.

I have about a 1,000 books in my Calibre library which are ready to put on my Kindle.  I like to keep a limit number on my Kindle though, usually about 50.

There are many sources of free books so I keep adding own to them.  Amazon has a lot of free books, including classics and modern books.  Then there are free ones on a lot of other sites.

When I get the Amazon ads I go through and see if I like any of the authors.  Then I look to see if I have any e-books by those authors.  If they seem interesting, I add them to calibre and convert them to the Kindle format.

I also buy some books from Amazon.  My favorite author is Larry McMurtry and I have 21 of his books, but would like to buy all of them eventually. 

I have a lot of Steven King, which I am not real fond of.  My wife really likes him though.  I also have a lot of science fiction writers such as Heinlein, Robert A, Asimov, Isaac, Farmer, Philip Jose.

Not all the e-books are perfect though since some have been scanned and poorly formatted.  However most aren't too bad and only have a few errors, if any.

So I have quite a few e-books, but I am sure that some people even have more.

So how many e-books do you have?

·
6,035 Posts
I haven't been collecting ebooks for very long, just since I got my first Kindle, so I only have about 400 items so far. I don't get anything new till I'm ready to read it, so my collection doesn't increase very quickly. You seem to have an addiction for collecting the books, rather than for reading them. I'm not sure how many ebooks 40Gb worth would be, but I'm certain it's more than I could hope to read in several lifetimes!  :eek:  I'm not quite sure what the point of having them is, if you're not actually going to read them, at least once. Or are you a supersonic speed reader?

·
Premium Member
63,459 Posts
I don't know exactly, but I have 73 pages of books on my Kindle 1.  And the ones I've read aren't on the Kindle, they're in my archive.  ;D  And still counting....

Betsy

·
Registered
8 Posts
I started collecting Kindle books last fall, but was reading them only on my phone until February when I finally got my Kindle wi-fi. Though I've purchased a good number (way more than I normally buy in that short period of time), many have been free, so a good number of the ones I've bought I've read and deleted because I wouldn't ever read them again, or I started reading them and decided I wouldn't finish them. I know I've got over a hundred titles, but I've read most of them.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I've got roughly 200 ebooks and I've read about a third of them. Some of that 200 are samples that I haven't decided upon as yet, might get the book, might not, so leaving them there for now.

·
Super Moderator
67,559 Posts
1103 according to "Your account/your collection/kindle items" on Amazon.

There are one or two I've bought from elsewhere but they weren't very good so I probably deleted them anyway so, no, we won't count them. ::)

And that doesn't count newspaper, magazine, or blog subscriptions.

Oh.  Wait. . . .there might be another dozen or so free books I got via Kobo or nook that are on either my phone or my Xoom. . .let's call it even at 1120.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I just got a Kindle so I only have about 30, but I've been downloading every cheap one I see that I like the cover of. I pretty much do the same thing with used books, which is why I have a closet full of them.

(This is my first post, hopefully I'm doing it right)

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Welcome, first poster.

I have around 500 on my Amazon account.  Under 10 on my Sony reader account.  A couple dozen or so on my Nook account.  And ONE on my iBooks account.

I haven't had the need to get something on other sites.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I'm reading book #130 after a year and a half, all full length.  I often read @ 100 books a year during my career (and need to move them along somehow) but since the Kindle DX I have not held or read an actual book.  I'm very unhappy with the $12-15.00 prices, I think the whole thing is fixed but reading from the Kindle is so simple & easy that I'll pass up a paper book unless I can get it on the Kindle.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Ok I have arround 633 e-books and 100 samples on my kindle. I also sometimes will pick a book by its cover.  Esp. if it is a kb author.

·
Registered
9,515 Posts
I didn't start reading e-books until the Kindle came out. I have about 600 unread on my Kindle, 1300~ in my Amazon account, and another 1500 from various other sources. Now, honestly about 300 of the ones on my Amazon account I will never read, they are westerns for my Dad & Uncle.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
You're all putting me to shame here! I bought my Kindle in January and I probably have close to 50 items on it... I know, BOOOO Jim! :)

BUT BUT BUT... I still read a lot of paperback books too.  And had quite a bit of paperbacks from Christmas time to read.  But I'm almost done.  And then it's time to load up the Kindle. 

:)

·
Registered
124 Posts
I have about 100 books on my Kindle, but that doesn't include 20 or so that I've read and deleted because I found them sort of 'meh' and didn't think I'd ever want to read them again.

I keep mine divided into collections.

I have about 5 pages of samples I still haven't read! 

I think my fondest wish right now is to take a holiday dedicated for reading. Two weeks of nothing but bookish bliss!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts