Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife download 13 free books from Amazon this morning.  She checks the free site every day or two and downloads books.  Since she likes all kinds of books she has plenty to chose from.

I am not sure that she will read all of them though since even after being married to her for about a 100 years or so, I still don't understand her.  She may just be getting something to brag about?

So how many free books have you downloaded today?

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
I think I got 2 or 3 today. 

I've owned a Kindle since '08 and I currently have over 500 free books on it.  It's not like they are taking up any physical space or my Kindle gets heavier the more I put on it!  ;)  I know I'll never get through them all because I add to the pile quicker than I read, but I occasionally hear about a really good book and then discover that I already own it.  It's happened more times than you would think and has saved me a lot of money.   

·
Registered
9,515 Posts
of the 17 new available freebies this morning, I think I got 8. of the closing in on 400 this month, I think I've gotten about 150~200. I will read them.. eventually. Some I have read, some I already owned and have read in the past.

·
Registered
833 Posts
I am getting more and more picky about free books.  They do clog up the archive.  But I also share the account with a bunch of people and some one might be interested.  I also am more likely to download if lending is enabled because someone on my blog might be interested.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I downloaded a few the other night. I just finished reading a free kindle top 100 called, Spore, which was really good. I was expecting not much from the book. It was a quick read, but that isn't a negative. I really liked the story. I am currently reading, Treasure Island, which was another free download, lol.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I beleive I downloaded two free books. Like others, I've gotten a little more discerning about the free books that I've picked. Too much clutter, even on my Kindle makes me anxious and I'm trying only to pick up the ones that I truly believe I or my husband would read.

·
Registered
373 Posts
That is one reason I have waited so long to download the free books. I didn't think I would take to any of them. I decided to download Dracula and Treasure Island, as I have heard that they are good, but have never read them. I picked a few others based on covers/blurbs, the first one was really good and the second has started okay. I like the fact that I have no expectations from them. I mean the last couple of novels from my favourite authors have been so disappointing, so something fresh is nice.

·
Registered
9,515 Posts
Many of the authors here on KB have books in those freebies that are simply stupendous.... I already owned most of them so those were some of the ones I can't take advantage of free.. But I urge everyone else to get em while they can.

·
Registered
592 Posts
None.  I am extremely picky about freebies.  I won't download a book just because it's free.  If it looks like something I would be interested in and would possibly pay for if it weren't being offered for free, then I'll download it.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Seven.  And, it could have been a lot more but I've gotten more selective on free books.  I used to get almost all of them thinking, "Maybe someday I'd want to read this."  Now I only get the books I know I will read for sure.  What fun it is to get free books!!

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Amazon UK has less free ebooks, we haven't had any for a week almost... :( I usually download all of them, I can just take em off the kindle if I don't want em anyway.

I usually also check the freebies on smashwords once every couple of days, always get a lot of fun stuff from there :)

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Oh, checked the amazon search today, apparently the free book blog for the UK is just being an ass and nor updating, so 26 books today, some full books, some short stories. Lots of interesting ones I am going to read. (also lots of those teaser chapters, didn't pick those)

G

·
kiazishiru said:
Oh, checked the amazon search today, apparently the free book blog for the UK is just being an ass and nor updating, so 26 books today, some full books, some short stories. Lots of interesting ones I am going to read. (also lots of those teaser chapters, didn't pick those)
Maybe it's just because the first book in my series went free and I'm now paying attention, but it seems like lots of new books have just gone free in the UK. Dailycheapreads has a listing with a few of them: http://dailycheapreads.co.uk/2011/05/27/free-now-mysteries-and-fantasy-by-independent-authors/

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
None.  I downloaded 30 or so free public domain classics from Feedbooks a couple years back when I first got my Kindle and have put those on the Kindles I've had since.

But otherwise I don't check for free books and only download books when I'm ready to read them. :D

I don't read a lot of freebies as I mostly read recent books and not many classics or indie authors.

I have started using library e-books (using my iPad until the Kindle gets updated) since getting a library card last month.  Have read 3 e-books for free that way so far (and 2 print books).  So that will up my free book count since I can read non-public domain books for free that way.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
mooshie78 said:
I don't read a lot of freebies as I mostly read recent books and not many classics or indie authors.
As far as I know, untill recenly (?) indies on amazon were not able to put their book up for free out of their own free choice. And the books offered for free for a short time (a day or two usually) are all recent books

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Sam Rivers said:
I keep seeing the word indies, but I have no idea what it means?

Could someone explain to me what it means?
Indies are people who are not traditionally published (through a publisher), they are independently published (usually self published)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts