Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This question is mostly aimed at you full-time writers out there but is, of course, welcome for all to answer.  But, for all of us wanna-be-full-time writers out there, I thought it would be a nice way of being honest with ourselves about what we're in for.

So, how many hours a day do you write?

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Depends on the day.

Minimum 3
Max ever 14

Average 5

That is writing, not marketing which takes up the rest of my day and some evening hours.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I try to get in maybe 1 or 2 a day after work, unless I'm trying to hit a specific target like a chapter by the end of the week or something.  Some people read before they go to sleep, I usually write :)

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
My fiction has been on the back burner this month due to some bills that required me to do freelance work (blech...) to pay, but I normally write for about 4 hours in one sitting. I really need to get back into writing full time since my wife's book has taken off and I can afford to scale back the freelance work a by a lot in April, May and June.

I'd love to hear answers from the true full-timers. I've always wondered how long everyone spends writing each day.  :)

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
On a weekday, about 2-3 hours in the morning before I switch over to the day job. Then another 1-3 at night depending on how the morning went. I'd say on average about 4 hours/day. My goal is 1,000 words/day. Once I hit that, I may switch over to other writing business or not.

On weekends, maybe 4-6 hours or more depending on if I need to mow the lawn that day. :)

I try to write 6 days/week.

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
Most days 6-7 hours if you count re-reading, first pass editing and new text.
I try to tone in down a bit on weekends, maybe do a few hours Sat and Sun.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
ellecasey said:
Depends on the day.

Minimum 3
Max ever 14

Average 5

That is writing, not marketing which takes up the rest of my day and some evening hours.
Same goes for me. My writing schedule is similar to this. I usually work 9-10 hours a day, but write for only five. The rest of my time is spent on marketing, etc.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Five-ish hours per day, five days a week. (I write 5K a day, which takes me roughly 5 hours. Sometimes more, sometimes less.)

·
Premium Member
4,969 Posts
I have a young family and have to wait until everyone goes to bed, plus my husband expects me to spend some nights a week with him, so I would say I write 3 nights a week for about 3 hours each time.  I wish it were much much more, maybe when the kids are all old enough for school. Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
685 Posts
I don't really 'write' as in sitting down at the keyboard and pecking away. I use Dragon NaturallySpeaking and can whip out several thousand words in no time. I'm usually thinking...daydreaming...about my plots, characters, what they would say etc. during the day or in bed waiting to fall asleep. And then, when I have a bunch of things in my head I want to get down 'on paper', I just sit down and start talking and it all spills out in a first draft. Sometimes I get stuck on a particular point in a book and I just let it simmer while I go on to work on another one. It's amazing what starts to spill out when you go back to work on that problem you had. I've got four in the works right now that I cycle through. Just my way of working. Sometimes it isn't the amount of time you have but how you utilize it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I usually write for about an hour a day or more. I also use the website, http://750words.com and I'm currently on a streak of writing at least 750 words for the last 98 days. The site gives you incentives to keep writing, little badges and daily reminders and affirmations, and it has really helped me get into a regular daily writing routine.

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
I'm full time work-at-home self-employed but not in writing.  So, unfortunately, I only have three one hour sessions scheduled hours during the workdays and then whatever extra time I can cram in during the weekend.

Right now it's not financially practical for me to scale back my other business in order to up my writing time.  But it's nice to dream  :)

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm kind of relieved to see these numbers.    :)  I was afraid it was going to be 12 hour days grinding it out day after day.  As for me, I count in editing time with writing.  I'm very sporadic and get distracted easily so it's hard for me to tell how long I'm actually spending writing.  But, I've pushed 12 plus hours before on a story with writing, editing, etc.  Some days are grueling and those days seem to drive home just how much there is to do to get all the writing relating tasks taken care of!  :eek:

When (I'll say "when" instead of "if") I go full time, I will probably aim for between 3 to 5 hours of actual writing time.  The rest will be editing, story plotting, upkeep of web/social media.  I'm sure those 3-5 hour days will easily become 8 and often more.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Ada O'Flaherty said:
I'm kind of relieved to see these numbers. :) I was afraid it was going to be 12 hour days grinding it out day after day. As for me, I count in editing time with writing. I'm very sporadic and get distracted easily so it's hard for me to tell how long I'm actually spending writing. But, I've pushed 12 plus hours before on a story with writing, editing, etc. Some days are grueling and those days seem to drive home just how much there is to do to get all the writing relating tasks taken care of! :eek:

When (I'll say "when" instead of "if") I go full time, I will probably aim for between 3 to 5 hours of actual writing time. The rest will be editing, story plotting, upkeep of web/social media. I'm sure those 3-5 hour days will easily become 8 and often more.
I've done 12 or more hours at a time before, but it tends to burn me out. :)

I really just try to keep it even-keeled. My day job can easily suck up 8-10 hours/day, but I work at home full-time, so that helps.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts