Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Including some that are trad pubbed as well, how many English speaking independent authors do you think have published at least 1 fiction or non-fiction piece?  Just curious how big this boom is and I have no idea.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
tensen said:
50,000 would be a lowball guess based on numbers of titles that Iuniverse and some of the other companies used to do a year. But considering the number of people that might throw up a short story, or some other product, I would think that the number is in the hundreds of thousands.
Considering the number of new indie releases each week, and considering the couple of decades that they have existed, I would put in the millions, not thousands.

·
Registered
626 Posts
cblewgolf said:
Including some that are trad pubbed as well, how many English speaking independent authors do you think have published at least 1 fiction or non-fiction piece? Just curious how big this boom is and I have no idea.
Hundreds of thousands, and we've only seen the tip of the iceberg so far. Everyone from eight to eighty who has access to a computer and wants to get rich quick is writing on nights and weekends with dreams of yachts, mansions and riches. I know at least a dozen people who are working on a debut novel that will instantly catapult them to the top of the charts. Whether or not they will ever complete it is another question, but every one of them believes that writing is the easiest thing in the world to do. After all, they've been writing since they first began attending school.

·
Registered
342 Posts

·
Registered
851 Posts
Given the number showing on the author ranking chart on Author Central, and then trying to guess how many are trad, I'd say ballpark half a million.

G

·
Well, Lulu.com claims to have published over 1,100,000 titles since it launched. Some of those authors only published one book. Others published dozens. And that is just ONE company. There are dozens of regional and national services that cater to self publishers.

The point is there is this big old self publishing world outside on Amazon that has existed for decades. We are talking MILLIONS of authors.

The better question is, how many of those authors actually have half a clue insofar as what they are doing? Now that is a much smaller number. And I'd venture to say most of them hang out here at KB. ;D

·
Registered
16,323 Posts
DarkScribe said:
Considering the number of new indie releases each week, and considering the couple of decades that they have existed, I would put in the millions, not thousands.
The total of ALL e-books in the Kindle store including traditionally published (both fiction and non-fiction) is 1,800,000, so that is hardly likely. :)

And since quite a few of us have multiple books out...

It's hard to say. I would guess a couple of hundred thousand, maybe, but that is a wild guess.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
At least 314,000. I say that as I was ranked that on Amazon, then sold one book and shot up to 100,000-something. That implies to me lots of authors not selling much either.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
JRTomlin said:
The total of ALL e-books in the Kindle store including traditionally published (both fiction and non-fiction) is 1,800,000, so that is hardly likely. :)

And since quite a few of us have multiple books out...

It's hard to say. I would guess a couple of hundred thousand, maybe, but that is a wild guess.
UNESCO claims that there are currently 2.2 million new titles published annually - worldwide. Most of those are eBooks.

I think that over the past decade alone the number of indie authors will definitely number in the millions.

Even if each author publishes ten books they will still number in the millions. I think that most authors write one or two books, not ten.

·
Registered
16,323 Posts
DarkScribe said:
UNESCO claims that there are currently 2.2 million new titles published annually - worldwide. Most of those are eBooks.

I think that over the past decade alone the number of indie authors will definitely number in the millions.

Even if each author publishes ten books they will still number in the millions. I think that most authors write one or two books, not ten.
I really don't care about UNESCO's book count. That many aren't published on Kindle. :)

Those are the ones I am assuming the OP was asking about.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
JRTomlin said:
I really don't care about UNESCO's book count. That many aren't published on Kindle. :)

Those are the ones I am assuming the OP was asking about.
No, not on Kindle. That would be more than 6000 new titles per day. Once you hit publish you would only have a half hour before your book had more than one hundred newer titles swamping it. Amazon's New Releases list would have to auto-scroll.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Joe_Nobody said:
You can count the authors on Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/gp/search/other?redirect=true&rh=n%3A283155&bbn=283155&pickerToList=lbr_one_browse-bin&ie=UTF8&qid=1361285490&rd=1 Let me know after your done...I curious what the total number is.
Counted 15,293
(method if you want to repeat: save the web page to text, copy the text into a spreadsheet as text, count the number of rows filled by names). I used Firefox and Libreoffice.
But as noted, not all the authors are listed. The list appears to be only authors above a certain sales rank. Hugh Howey and Bella Andre are in there but some other KBers are not.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts