Kindle Forum banner

Not counting your own Kindle or Kindles that belong to family or friends, how many have you seen in

1 - 20 of 335 Posts

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I never saw or touched a Kindle before I bought mine, and in the seven months I have owned it, I have only seen one other: flying on a plane to Germany. What are your experiences? Anyone here hook up to "see a Kindle in your city"?

L

·
Super Moderator
67,559 Posts
The 'wild' Kindle I saw was through "see a kindle in your city".  WE met up in a restaurant for lunch here in Arlington.  The wait staff was quite interested in it as well.  It's what convinced me that it was a good thing to spend my stimulus money on.

Ann

·
Registered
146 Posts
I've met two people who know what they are. Everyone else is "Wtf is that?!" ing me. I posted in the "See a Kindle..." forum, that I would be willing to show mine off in the Tri-Cities area of WA, but last I checked, no one is interested. We're a fairly big area, so I was rather surprised. All conservative though. I haven't met a single conservative interested in owning a Kindle. Any conservatives here?

·
Registered
81 Posts
RovingSoul said:
I've met two people who know what they are. Everyone else is "Wtf is that?!" ing me. I posted in the "See a Kindle..." forum, that I would be willing to show mine off in the Tri-Cities area of WA, but last I checked, no one is interested. We're a fairly big area, so I was rather surprised. All conservative though. I haven't met a single conservative interested in owning a Kindle. Any conservatives here?
Conservative here and Kindle owner in Utah. I'm about an hour north of where the school district bought all those Kindles. I live in a University town and there are likely Kindles hanging out at coffee shops, but that's not really my thing (I'm too busy feeding the animals etc and getting to work). I'm also an officer in the Army National Guard. Found quite a few military history books for Kindle that are great.

·
Registered
146 Posts
thomashton said:
RovingSoul said:
Conservative here and Kindle owner in Utah. I'm about an hour north of where the school district bought all those Kindles. I live in a University town and there are likely Kindles hanging out at coffee shops, but that's not really my thing (I'm too busy feeding the animals etc and getting to work). I'm also an officer in the Army National Guard. Found quite a few military history books for Kindle that are great.
Do you have... goats? It's good that the Kindle is able to reach across party lines and embrace all though. Just means the rest of the country will join the cult that much faster.

·
Registered
81 Posts
RovingSoul said:
thomashton said:
RovingSoul said:
Do you have... goats? It's good that the Kindle is able to reach across party lines and embrace all though. Just means the rest of the country will join the cult that much faster.
HAHAHA. Yes, I do have goats--pygmies. 6 nannies and a billy. I also have beehives, about 70 chickens, geese, ducks, a dog, guinea fowl, and tons of mice in the hay barn. They're my hobby. By trade I am a wildlife biologist.

·
Registered
146 Posts
thomashton said:
RovingSoul said:
thomashton said:
RovingSoul said:
HAHAHA. Yes, I do have goats--pygmies. 6 nannies and a billy. I also have beehives, about 70 chickens, geese, ducks, a dog, guinea fowl, and tons of mice in the hay barn. They're my hobby. By trade I am a wildlife biologist.
Wow, pretty nice setup there. Fresh goat milk (does that have a special name?) honey, eggs, etc. And baby birds to play with. And goats. I'm sort of an animal fanatic, and I've always thought goats are adorable. Everyone else has always thought I'm odd.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Yup. I am happy where I live and contented with life. This autumn I have been building a new sauna house out in the back. It is nearly done and the sauna arrives on Friday. I am looking forward to wrapping myself in a towel, my Kindle in a Ziploc and relaxing away the cold Northern Utah winter.

My only problem with the idyllic life is deployment iwth the Army. I am an officer in a special forces unit and get pulled away quite often. This year it was for 2 months in the summer. Next year I am already scheduled for at least 5 if not 6 months or more! Well, at least it's not the full 18. I've done that in Iraq before too.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Congrats on the sauna! ...I hate saunas. I tried the Ziplock bag trick the other day though, and it has some issues. The scroll whell doesn't work at all. That wouldn't be a problem, but I didn't have my book selected yet, so it ended up being a problem. Also, the plastic tended to fog up, and had to be wiped off every couple of minutes.

You're a Wildlife Biologist who's also in a spec. forces unit? I was going to ask if you're in the Rangers, but I don't know if National Guard folk can be in the Rangers.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Guard folk absolutely can be ranger qualified. I am not however. I also am not special forces qualified either. As I said, I am an officer in an SF unit. I am a platoon leader in an Airborne SF support company. I lead the engineers who are called up to support SF missions. Basically we get a call that a SF batallion needs engineering support in an unimproved area and either jump in or fly in (and land) and get to work for a couple months until the regular engineers show up and take over for us.

Funny thing is, I am not an enginner officer, but that's the way officers are. Leaders of all, generalists of every job.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I am meeting a woman thursday who jumped on the Kindle band wagon via Oprah.. I am also getting a ton of emails from people on the "see the kindle in your city" one wanted to know if she could download and print her knitting patterns on it.. I had to tell her it was not the way it worked.

I get stopped alot and people don't always get the concept.. I just wish I had folders.. I hate turning over the kindle to someone and they can see everything on that page... I dont have things to hide per say but do I really want to turn it over to a client I am trying to convince to hire me to do is Public Relations and he sees I am reading "marcia brady's biography"... you get the point.. LOL

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey Patrizia, welcome! Glad you made it here!

Is Marcia's (Maureen's) biography on the Kindle now? When it first came out a few weeks ago, it wasn't.

I won't even tell you the embarrassing name of a book I had on my home page when a doctor at the Free Clinic picked it up to look at it. Yikes! LOL

L

PS, despite the embarrassing name, the book was actually pretty good!

·
Registered
4,910 Posts
Hmmmm.  I haven't seen any in the wild.  Mine didn't come today.  :( Maybe tomorrow -- I hope, I hope, I hope.  Just got an idea.  A very nice wine shop with small bar opened here in town a while ago.  I plan to go there with my Kindle and read and drink wine.  The wine shop has "events".  Maybe they would send out e-mail to their customer list to come in for a Kindle viewing / demonstration.  Maybe?

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sandpiper said:
Hmmmm. I haven't seen any in the wild. Mine didn't come today. :( Maybe tomorrow -- I hope, I hope, I hope. Just got an idea. A very nice wine shop with small bar opened here in town a while ago. I plan to go there with my Kindle and read and drink wine. The wine shop has "events". Maybe they would send out e-mail to their customer list to come in for a Kindle viewing / demonstration. Maybe?
I think that's a really interesting idea! I had a great time city at outdoor cafes in Switzerland last month, sipping wine and reading my Kindle. Life is so civilized in Europe (even if they don't have Whispernet).

L

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Leslie

oh yeah the book is out in Kindle form, took a few days but I think its even on the Kindle best seller list.. I admit I am loving it... but I still want folders.. LOL...

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
I have not seen ONE other Kindle.  :mad: There was a picnic last Saturday 10/25/08 at Desota Caverns in AL of Kindle owners. I had to be in Chicago at a 3 day meeting and missed it, I was SO disappointed. I found out about it on one of the boards; manybooks. com or another free ebook site. Can't remember so no way to reconnect although I did email the gal & ask if this was a one time thing or if they would get together again. No reply.

Linda

1 - 20 of 335 Posts