Kindle Forum banner

Not counting your own Kindle or Kindles that belong to family or friends, how many have you seen in

21 - 40 of 335 Posts

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Looking at the poll results so far, it certainly confirms that we are a group of early adopters, since 80% of folks have not seen another Kindle!

I have to say, when I saw the one on the plane, I almost fainted. It was the man in the seat in front of me and I could see his Kindle reflected in the window. (The plane was rather dark since we were flying at night). I didn't have the nerve to tap him on the shoulder or anything. I could see from the reflection that he was reading the Wall Street Journal. (I am such a spy!)

L

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have only seen one other Kindle in the wild and it was on the beach in Delaware... and that person saw me (I was too busy reading my Kindle to see anything else). She stopped on her way by, dropped all of her stuff to dig her Kindle out of her beach bag to show me that she had one too. My friends and family already know that I'm a little crazy about my Kindle, so another person that was just as crazy with a Kindle has led them to believe that Kindles = crazy people.  ;)
Amy

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
It is amazing to me -- and I include myself in this group -- how wound up people get about this device, and how long the wound-up-itis lasts! I was excited when I got my iPhone but that wore off after a month or two. New laptpop? Ho, hum within a week. But this thing -- I feel like a kid on Christmas morning every time I pick it up!

L

·
Registered
15 Posts
I completely agree! I love my Kindle. It has made the most impact on my lifestyle of almost any electronic device yet.
I have always been a "reader" but with the Kindle it seems like I read so much more - I'm not sure if I actually read faster on the Kindle or if it is just so much more convenient. I just can't help but be enthusiastic about it.
Amy

·
Registered
195 Posts
I live in Georgia. I suspect the reason I haven't seen any Kindles around here is that Amazon billed them as "revolutionary" and people here think they said "evolutionary" and, well, they ain't buying nothin' that's descended from no monkey.  ::)

G

·
These things are like the Yeti around here in rural, southern Vermont.  I have the only one I know of and when I showed it to a friend in a restaurant, a guy next to us reading a book gave the evil eye like I was bothering him.  He must be from Georgia!

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Yeti...hahahah

There was a funny blog..I think on Huffington Post or maybe Daily KOS calling Kindle sightings as rare as Sasquatch. I laughed at that one.

L

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
I have not seen any here either (also in Georgia) at least not that I have noticed. I think now that I have one and know what it looks like, I will start to spot them. In a little while, I am going to take mine out into my world for the first time and am kind of excited. I am going to go look for a pouch/travel case at a couple of my favorite "needful things" stores and also get lunch and run some errands. "Hot-lanta" has been pretty cold and I tend to go into hibernation as soon as the temp drops below 50º =) so I have't been anywhere in days! I'm charging him up right now!

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
I haven't seen one for real yet... I do have a friend back in Houston where I just moved from that ordered one the day before I did and we are planning to have a Kindle-get-together at a later date. I am sure there must be other Kindles somewhere in the Lone Star State, just haven't seen 'em yet!

·
Premium Member
63,459 Posts
As I posted previously, I had seen one in the wild before purchasing mine; however I knew someone who must have been one of the early adopters, but I have never seen his.

Betsy

·
Registered
3 Posts
They must be scarce in Eastern NC, since I've not seen one yet. I take mine everywhere, and people at work always ask, "Is that your new book thing?", but none of them are big readers, so I remain the lone Kindler around here!

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
I've never seen one either.  My fiance told me about one of his student's parents (he teaches guitar) who had one she pulled out while he was teaching, so that's how I found out about it.  I never did see one in person before I bought it, I agonized for a few weeks before I finally clicked to buy (and I've had it now for 7 months and STILL have yet to see one!).  I was supposed to go to Italy this summer and thought I couldn't go without this, I hate traveling with so many heavy books!  I didn't end up getting to go, but have never once regretted my decision. 

·
Registered
154 Posts
The only Kindle I've ever seen is mine.  I do, however, get many opportunities to proselytize.  Seems no one in the state of California has ever seen one before mine :)

Yes, Leslie, why am I always reading "How to Lose Weight" or some such piffle when someone asks to see my Kindle?  I guess my fine literature tastes seem to surface at night when I'm home alone.  Or at least, home with my family who have heard way too much from me already about my awesome Kindle.

·
Premium Member
63,459 Posts
Avalon said:
Yes, Leslie, why am I always reading "How to Lose Weight" or some such piffle when someone asks to see my Kindle? I guess my fine literature tastes seem to surface at night when I'm home alone.
Leslie has more embarrassing stuff on her Kindle, I do believe....

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Before I got mine I saw one guy with one on an airplane.  He was demonstrating it to a few people.  I didn't pay attention because I thought it was one of those Sony readers which I wasn't interested in.  I just happened to see the Oprah show where it was one of her favorite things and then realized he had the kindle.  I ordered it before her show was over.....I was not disappointed! 

21 - 40 of 335 Posts