Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I'm new to self publishing, started this month. I was wondering how long it took before you got sales? Answers anyone.

I'm advertising, I'm on twitter and even reading John Lock's book for ideas. I would be love to hear your experinces.

Thanks

Iris  :)

·
Registered
5,749 Posts
What specifically do you mean? Sales at all, or a high sales volume?

I saw sales right away. I didn't even know my book was live until Courtney Milan tweeted about it, so I went to check, and sure enough, I already had like 9 sales!

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Depends on a lot of things: genre, how much you're promoting, etc.  For my first book, it took a few weeks, but I wasn't promoting at first, either.  Once I started chatting here on Kindleboards and trying some promotional things I came across here, sales slowly started to come in.  My second book, the sequel, started going the first day, but I'm sure that's because people had already read the first one.

As long as you've edited your novels well and aren't trying to sell middle grade eBooks (which don't sell well at all right now) you should start seeing some sales soon. 

·
Registered
164 Posts
Does my father count? ;D

Probably a day or two for "strangers", but my book is a collection of recipes off a reasonably well-followed blog, so I get sales dribbling in from there. It depends, I suspect, on whether people know to look for your book or not. I'm not a hard-core promoter (indeed, I mentioned the book once on by blogs, bump a post in the bazaar when I remember, and posted to my facebook twice, total), so right now the only ones who know about it are... Um...

Major, life-altering sales, though? Not a clue.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
I'm the same as Amanda - The first sale happened before I'd realized I'd gone live. I haven't taken off at the speed of light, but it was nice that there was a little "1" there the first time I checked.... Now to wish those brown bars away!

·
Registered
925 Posts
I had friends and family sales right away, but I also had some word of mouth sales shortly thereafter. I'm on day nine and I've sold a grand total of 17 books. I've heard only good things so far, so I'm really hoping to get some more word of mouth sales.

Marketing can be tricky, but you should definitely consider hanging out where the readers are (GoodReads, LibraryThing, Shelfari, etc). Strangely enough, I got a $50 coupon from Facebook to try their advertising system, no strings attached. So far, I've had a little bit of extra traffic to my Fanpage.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I'm on day 13 and I have had a total of 5 sales. But I am yet to tell any friends or family. I know that one of those sales was to my girlfriend. So that leaves me with four purchases from strangers.

Also I have hardly done any promotion. I have posted a link on twitter once and that's it.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I sold 52 the first day on Kindle, 51 on Nook. I've been Indie for nine weeks and just passed the 1500 sold, plus made it on the Movers and Shakers list.

·
Registered
12,233 Posts
My sales have gone like this:

1st month - 247
2nd month - 589
3rd month - 897
4th month - Dunno yet but it looks like it's going to fall somewhere around 600.

I'm not sure how useful my sales experience can be to anyone else because genre, length, and pricing all play such a big part and changing any of them would probably change the numbers. I also had a KND ad out in my highest selling month which skews the numbers a bit.

But if it's useful to know, my genre is historical mystery, the length was novelette (17K), and the price $0.99. The majority of sales were made on Amazon with B&N being a very distant second.

ETA: We've also got a super long thread on this subject here: http://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,18037.0.html

·
Registered
18 Posts
Great thread. Thanks to everyone who provided sales figures. Very helpful info from folks. Especially as my first novel just went live a few days ago. Not much for sales yet, but I haven't really told anyone its available. I've been waiting to proof the print version first. And trying to keep my expectations in check.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Dara's sales were much better than mine when I first pubbed. When I put out Peace Warrior last July, I only had 27 sales. When I put out Peace Army a few months ago, I had had 3600 sales the first month. What a difference a year makes.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Tonya said:
I sold 52 the first day on Kindle, 51 on Nook. I've been Indie for nine weeks and just passed the 1500 sold, plus made it on the Movers and Shakers list.
I think your sales show - without your telling us about your promo efforts - that your genre sells. There are selling genres and those that don't sell well, no matter what.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Amanda Brice said:
What specifically do you mean? Sales at all, or a high sales volume?

I saw sales right away. I didn't even know my book was live until Courtney Milan tweeted about it, so I went to check, and sure enough, I already had like 9 sales!
Hi Amanda

I meant sales at all. Like most people are saying it depends on genre I guess.

·
Registered
5,749 Posts
Promotion is definitely important. If nobody knows of the existence of your book, or has never heard of you, then they won't just stumble upon it. People only stumble upon books when the book starts getting good placement by Amazon, and that only happens once your sales are such that they start suggesting you to customers of similar books.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
I haven't really done that much promotion--it's hard to be heard among all the other writers also promoting, but I found that I did get sales the first day, a few at a time. It built up steam gradually. I feel I'm doing pretty well now, although certainly not anything to compare to the folks out there claiming to sell hundreds/thousands a day. :)

If no one if buying your book, you might look at the three things that seem to make a difference:
Cover
Blurb
Genre/category

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
14 Posts
i would say about three to four months before I saw a blip on the sales map

·
Registered
6,706 Posts
Every situation is different, but one of the ironies is that when you first publish a book on Amazon, it's at one of its most 'visible' points. That's because newly-published books appear on certain listings, and are seen by more potential readers.  After the first few weeks they slide down into obscurity and don't reappear unless their sales are high enough to put them on other lists.

I didn't realize that when I published my first books, thinking I could improve the covers and blurb later.  So I didn't make the most of that first opportinuty to be in front of readers' eyes.

·
Registered
577 Posts
I've been published since the middle of April and I've had 60 sales so far. The majority of these sales come from Amazon - In june I sold about 20 books alone on that site. I think it depends very much on your genre - if it's popular then you're likely to do well.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts