Kindle Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to keep this short. A few years ago, I wrote erotica and YA under two different names. Then I became ill, and thinking I'd never recover, I stopped writing under these names. After treatment, I began writing comedy under yet another pen-name. I have recently gotten my YA rights back. I was thinking of also getting my erotica rights back, so ,within the next few months, I could be a Kindle author under three names, backlist books plus some old ones I never published. This is a little daunting. Three blogs. Three marketing strategies, etc...

And when I post here, do I include all of my covers with my sig line? Do I want my YA name associating with my erotica name (or PJ Jones for that matter)?

Advice is appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
You sound like me!  Wait, are you one of my pen names too?  hehe ;D

I don't there's really "too many" if you're in different genres.  If you have books to write, write them.  Sell them.  Enjoy life.

As far as blogs and marketing goes - it's tough, sure, but stay with it.  Map out a plan.  I wouldn't personally be blogging on three different sites - i.e. writing articles, etc.  But for your erotica stuff, hook up with other erotica writers and guest post, swap blogs, and that kind of stuff.

For yourself, it's up to you to list that you're all the people.  Right now I'm not planning on giving up my pen names.  That may change, but who knows.

You seem busy and I applaud you for it.  Keep selling books! :)

-jb 8)

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Jim. I guess I'm feeling overwhelmed. I need to take a step back and breathe. Thankfully, or unthankfully, I'm not working a 'real' job at the moment and don't know if I will ever be able to go back to the daily grind, but it's still stressful right now. Maybe when little one goes back to school, I can better focus on all these names.

In the meantime, I'm still undecided if I want to link all three of my pennames. That would pretty much 'out' the real me. Not that I anticipate becoming uber famous, but it is still creepy Googling my pen-names and seeing my real name connected.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Become a publishing company and push your three authors like mad.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I have three pen names and I find it a little overwhelming at times, and I think readers get confused too. :/

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Jill, that's what I'm worried about, but I guess I will give it a try and if it gets overwhelming, I'll have to shift priorities.

Love your covers, btw.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
PJ, you are a busy author (or three...)!
I would be overwhelmed by a triple pen-life, since I barely manage one  :)
But, it must be exciting!

·
Registered
177 Posts
Since you are writing and publishing (or plan to publish) YA, I suggest keeping the erotica pen name a secret.  Inquiring young minds will find your naughtier stuff if you don't.  They are so good on computers.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
PJJones said:
Ha! I wouldn't even know where to begin.
That's actually sound advice. And it's what I did. I personally used Legal Zoom to set up a basic LLC (cost me around $300 w/ my states filing fees). That way the LLC is the company and the LLC gets paid.

And it keeps everything seperate. :)

-jb 8)

·
Registered
399 Posts
I started Rowdy Rooster Publishing by going to the county clerk and registering via a DBA (Doing Business As).  I used the DBA to create a business checking account at my bank.  I created a Hotmail account for the pub compnay, and used that e-maid addy to create a new KDP account.  I can put as many pen names as I wanted under that account.  I have two right now, with plans for more.  I like the idea of separating my genres with pen names. 

DBA cost $10.  I'm still a sole proprietor, not a corporation, so no special tax issues.  I just do my taxes as normal, and Rowdy Rooster's money is considered mine by the IRS.  My tax lady knows all of the special forms I need, which haven't changed since I was just publishing traditionally.

Technically, I guess, the account you create with KDP is a publisher account anyway.  I don't know if there is any transparency between the different pen names on the same account, though.  You can create multiple KDP accounts, each with a different e-mail address.  B&N will not allow that, since they only allow one account per SSN.  Smashwords has a publisher upgrade account (Free) that allows multiple "ghost" authors.

·
Registered
6,706 Posts
I believe that in certain states, it's legal to have a wife for each pen name you publish under.

So yeah, you may want to limit that.

·
Registered
543 Posts
From one PJ to another, I don't think there really is a rule of thumb here. It's something I've thought about, too. To date, I've only published a short but will have a novella coming out soon. Both are in the same vein, so I've used my PJ Lincoln pen name for those. I'm hoping to have a novel out by Christmas, a thriller/suspense, that's very different than the other two. So I wondered, too, if I should use a second pen name or, heck, even my real name on that title.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
TWGallier said:
B&N will not allow that, since they only allow one account per SSN. Smashwords has a publisher upgrade account (Free) that allows multiple "ghost" authors.
So basically I can't use my three pen-names at B and N unless I start an LLC? Sheesh! 300 at Legal Zoom! Crud. I just want to write. This is officially too overwhelming. LOL!

I don't mind associating my erotica and PJ Jones's names but I definitely want my YA to be separate from the two. PJ Jones writes some crude parody that I don't want my tween audience reading.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I think it all depends on how many 'personalities' you can manage at once. I'm having a hard enough time with one right now that I'm not sure I could feasibly handle 2 let alone 3 or more! :)

But if you can effectively do it and they are all succeeding to the goals you've set for yourself, then go for it!
:)
Just my $.02
Aimee

·
Registered
925 Posts
I have a hard enough time keeping track of one. I think I've already reached my limit.  ;D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts