Kindle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was approved for a FNR in memoir and it’s $700 (yikes!). I’m trying to decide if it would be worth it. I’ve heard some people only got 12 sales from it, others get over a hundred. Either way I’m not sure it’d be worth it at $700. Even if I keep my book at $9.99. Is anyone willing to share their sales numbers? And at what price? Thanks!

·
Registered
784 Posts
I haven't, but I would like to follow this thread. I've been to the site and priced my genre and asking price. It was less than half of your $700 figure. But that was because I was YA and 99 cents intended. Yours is a memoir and you are setting the price at $9.99? Gosh that seems like a lot. I think you're right to find advice or reinforcement for this issue. There are many here who have gone the full-featured BB road.

·
Registered
220 Posts
The featured new release is hit or miss and seems to be genre dependent. My personal experience with them is that it's helpful for 1st in series and if you have sequels available for preorder. My last 2 have earned out by sales alone, and I'm hopeful readthrough increases that. Good luck!

·
Registered
784 Posts
blubarry said:
The featured new release is hit or miss and seems to be genre dependent. My personal experience with them is that it's helpful for 1st in series and if you have sequels available for preorder. My last 2 have earned out by sales alone, and I'm hopeful readthrough increases that. Good luck!
May I ask, blubarry, what your genre was?

·
Registered
245 Posts
I've had 2 featured New Releases. These are good but not nearly as good as the actual Featured Releases. Mine were each $260 in horror and didn't send me to the moon. One thing to keep in mind is that you can make your book full price, and that seems to be the way to go. For my first FNR I made that book 0.99 and sold about 200 copies. That's a whopping $70 for a $260 ad. There was almost no follow-thru to other books (but mine was a standalone, not first in series). For my second FNR, I priced the book at full price, 7.99, and sold 40. That's about $220 for a $260 ad... much better! Also, the follow-through to other books was greater. I saw a small spike in sales of other books the following week. I think readers who pay full price are more likely to pay full price for other books, as well. The .99'ers might only look for other in that price range. But that's just my take on it.  (To add context, an actual Featured Release usually sells thousands, up to 2500 in my genre)

FNR's can be good for exposure, but do take advantage of the ability to price your book at full (no discount). Or maybe compromise at 2.99? I've also read where others sold only 15 or so copies, so... it's a brave risk. The OP said his genre is $700... that might be scary. But what's life without a few thrills! haha

Please let us now your results if you do decide to roll the dice.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Rod Little said:
I've had 2 featured New Releases. These are good but not nearly as good as the actual Featured Releases. Mine were each $260 in horror and didn't send me to the moon. One thing to keep in mind is that you can make your book full price, and that seems to be the way to go. For my first FNR I made that book 0.99 and sold about 200 copies. That's a whopping $70 for a $260 ad. There was almost no follow-thru to other books (but mine was a standalone, not first in series). For my second FNR, I priced the book at full price, 7.99, and sold 40. That's about $220 for a $260 ad... much better! Also, the follow-through to other books was greater. I saw a small spike in sales of other books the following week. I think readers who pay full price are more likely to pay full price for other books, as well. The .99'ers might only look for other in that price range. But that's just my take on it. (To add context, an actual Featured Release usually sells thousands, up to 2500 in my genre)

FNR's can be good for exposure, but do take advantage of the ability to price your book at full (no discount). Or maybe compromise at 2.99? I've also read where others sold only 15 or so copies, so... it's a brave risk. The OP said his genre is $700... that might be scary. But what's life without a few thrills! haha

Please let us now your results if you do decide to roll the dice.
Thank you, that was very helpful! I know the $700 part really gets me. If it were half that I'd feel a lot better. Honestly, and this might sound crazy, but I'm not focused on profit as much as I am sales volume. I was hoping to get a Featured Deal for the first week my book comes out so I could combine the sales from the promo with the preorders I've sold and maybe make a run at USAToday. But BookBub won't do a featured deal right out of the gate. So my only option is to do the FNR which pretty much kills my hopes of making a national best sellers list. But maybe I'll give it a shot later on if I get a featured deal. It's just disappointing that my preorders won't count for that. And getting back to the FNR, It'll probably lose money at $700 but maybe I'll do it anyway, like you said, what's life without some thrills. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
chrisstevenson said:
I haven't, but I would like to follow this thread. I've been to the site and priced my genre and asking price. It was less than half of your $700 figure. But that was because I was YA and 99 cents intended. Yours is a memoir and you are setting the price at $9.99? Gosh that seems like a lot. I think you're right to find advice or reinforcement for this issue. There are many here who have gone the full-featured BB road.
The regular price is $9.99 but I was thinking of discounting it. Maybe $4.99 or $2.99. It's hard to tell how much the price factors into the FNR because they don't include it in the email alert that goes out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts