Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is this one of the first times Kindle has been sold out for a long time?  If not, how many times before and approximately how long each time?  Were refurbished always available or intermittently as now? 

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
The Kindle went on sale on November 19, 2007. It sold out in 5.5 hours. Those initial orders were filled but after that, availability was erratic until May 2008. I ordered mine on April 6 and waited a little less than a month to receive it (April 28).

It was in stock from May until the recent shortage, which probably occurred due to Oprah and holiday shopping.

I don't remember refurbs coming up for sale anytime during the Dec 2007-May 2008 period, but we didn't have the refurb tracker then, so who knows? People were selling Kindles on ebay but I am not an ebay shopper so I never really checked those out.

L

·
Super Moderator
67,556 Posts
I ordered July 1, 2008 and had it in my hand within a week.  (This was before I learned that the only acceptable shipping method is 'next day' so I used super saver.  ;) )  I first heard of refurbished units becoming available around November 2008.

Ann

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow--amazing!  I didn't track the Kindle closely after the launch in November 2007 and had no idea it sold out in 5.5 hours!  I don't recall.....how much advance notice, if any, did Amazon give of the November 2007 launch?  Thanks!

G

·
I had been waiting for my sister to pay back a loan i had made to her.  Once I got it, I was going to buy my Kindle.  I've been drooling over them since they first appeared on the Amazon site. 

They had been showing up to a month wait or more for quite a while and then it was down to 2-3 days!  I was so excited, all I needed was for that money from my sister.

When she reapaid me I was ecstatic,  It was Kindle time at last!  I'm not an Oprah fan(I don't like her much at all) I go to order my Kindle and there is a 4-6 week wait!  bummer.

That was Nov7 2K8.  For tunatelly for me(and my new friends here then) my Kindle came way earlier than expected.

Last time I check the wait was up to 5-7 weeks.  i think they will soon resume mass shippings

G

·
I think you can almost cut the time in half.  They like to pad the estimate to make themselves look good.  Scottie did it on Star Trek all the time.  :)

·
Registered
731 Posts
Vampyre said:
I think you can almost cut the time in half. They like to pad the estimate to make themselves look good. Scottie did it on Star Trek all the time. :)
That was supposed to be a secret...

Nobody shooting anyhting around the mill? No small fires to put out today? You can't chat at work right?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Vampyre said:
I think you can almost cut the time in half. They like to pad the estimate to make themselves look good. Scottie did it on Star Trek all the time. :)
I certainly hope so. Mine is currently scheduled for delivery between 09 March and 26 March. My birthday is 04 March and I would LOVE to have my Kindle as a birthday present.

BTW, I'm sitting in a hotel room in Charlotte right now with nothing to do, so I'm sitting in the chat room listening for anyone to pop in.

G

·
I'll be doing the samething in a few weeks I hope. Last time I stayed at a Roadway Inn just off of the highway and not far from a small mall.

It's too bad you don't have your Kindle yet.  It's great for this type of situation.  You can read or use Google maps to find out what's close by.

Oh wait you have a computer.  You can use Google maps.  :)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Vampyre said:
Oh wait you have a computer. You can use Google maps. :)
I find that my Garmin works better for finding places. It helps to know what you're looking for though, and today I have no idea what I want to do. I've got football on my schedule though. I may call a friend that lives in Mooresville and see if I can invite myself to watch the game at his place.

G

·
When I'm in a new town, I like to find a good place to eat some type of food that isn't common around here...like good pizza :)  Then maybe see a movie..yep that's me, I live on the edge and I LIKE it!

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Leslie, Leslie, Leslie:

People were selling Kindles on ebay but I am not an ebay shopper so I never really checked those out.
Tsk...Tsk...Tsk... We will have to teach you. Heck; you've taught us plenty...and then some). You are missing out on some fantastic deals. I live for Kindle first; then Ebay. Most of us got our bowler bags for a fraction of the cost there. I got the bowler bag with the matching wallet and checkbook cover for $49. If you are interested we'll help you; who seconds the motion?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a hard time understanding how it can take 3 months to build new inventory.  There must be a component shortage somewhere in the supply chain.  I mean the factory must already be set up to build these things (i.e. plastic molds, pcb layouts, etc.).  Maybe the E-ink displays?  Does anyone have any insight  into the specifics as to why the lengthy delay?

At the company I work for, we deal with highly specialized, complex, low-volume electronics, and the longest leadtime we ever have is 12 weeks, so I would have assumed that a more high-volume consumer gadget would be significantly less.

Possibly they are holding up shipment to finalize testing on new firmware?  There were rumors that Bezos delayed the K2 due to some last minute software changes, so maybe the next batch of Kindles gets the new software and they are finishing the QA on that?

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
It may very well be the displays, but I wonder if it may be the batteries. They can't seem to get any of those in stock to sell, either.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Vampyre said:
E-ink displays and batteries are my 2 biggest guesses if the delay is due to a component shortage
I agree,... there seems to be issues keeping abtteries in stock, plus more and more eInk screen devices are coming out. i would guess one or the other is resposible.

G

·
As far as I know only ONE factory makes the screens, and since they also make them for other e-ink products, they can't keep up when demand spikes like it did when the Kindle was on Oprah or over the holidays. There was also a huge fire at a battery factory somewhere in Asia which may account for the battery backorder.

For the record I ordered my Kindle on 10/30 and got it on 11/5. (There was a weekend in there or it would have come sooner). :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.