Kindle Forum banner

How many times have you demonstrated your Kindle?

1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've heard many comment that we should all get commissions from Amazon for our impromptu Kindle demos! How many times have you demonstrated your Kindle to others? To complete strangers?

Interestingly, I went on a business trip in June and not one person asked about my Kindle...in the airport, hotel or anywhere. Then, two weeks ago I was in Boston. The room service waiter who was delivering my breakfast asked about it and then, in the afternoon, a guy came up to me in North Station and asked to look at it. I think the word is getting out and people are starting to get curious.

L

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have never demonstrated my Kindle except to my family members who now run every time they see me with it in my hands. I haven't had it out in public all that much but I did take it to the doctor's office with me the other day. No one asked about it but I guess they were too wrapped up in their own problems to be interested.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wheezie said:
I think people are so accustomed now to seeing so many electronic devices that they don't notice. When I have shown it to other people, they either think it is the coolest thing they have ever seen, or they don't get it at all.
I agree with that completely. I was working at the Free Clinic a few weeks ago and had my Kindle on the counter. Dr. A. picked it up, looked at for a few minutes and said, "Eh." Dr. B. picked it up and within 2 seconds had figured out how to open the New York Times, had navigated to the sports section and was reading about the Red Sox game! He was asking me all the details and planned to buy one for his son for Christmas.

L

·
Registered
6 Posts
My boss was interested in getting one for his wife but she wasn't interested.  I told him to take mine over night and let her play with a "live" one.  Now he's gotta get her one for Christmas.  :D

~M

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
I've demonstrated mine several times, to family members, a lady who asked about it while we were getting a pedicure, one of the docs I work for, 2 nurses I work with... but went on a business trip to Chicago last weekend & was so disappointed that not one SINGLE person in the airport or on the plane asked about it.  :(  I was so READY to show her off!  LOL

·
Registered
4,900 Posts
I'm thinking of proposing a Kindle viewing / demonstration as an "event" at a small local wine shop and bar.  I think they'd be agreeable.  Send out an invite e-mail to their customer list.

·
Super Moderator
67,323 Posts
I think a lot of people are self conscious about just walking up to a stranger and asking questions.

Some people definitely give off a "stay out of my space" sort of aura.  Even if they don't, people who've been used to not getting good responses when they try to strike up a conversation probably will be gun shy.

In an airport, especially, you're likely to meet mostly people who are very busy -- or want the world to think they are -- so they're not going to stop and have a conversation for no reason.  They're much too important!   :D

So, all these things tend to offset the folks who are likely to wander up to a stranger and start talking to them.

Just my opinion,
Ann

·
Registered
17 Posts
In the 5-6 times range, and I've had it less than a week.

I, too, live in Boston and not many people around here have any clue about it. A few, sure, but not many. Some people are more familiar with Sony Reader's though.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I've demonstrated my Kaylee Kindle a few times (outside of my poor family members who have probably heard more than enough about her). Someone in the Social Security office saw me reading while waiting and asked it if it was an electronic Bible, which lead me to explain how it was that and so much more. A couple of my co-workers also received tours, and I showed it to my banker. I've even sent out emails about her to friends who read but don't live nearby and posted about her on myspace and facebook.

All that said, however, I really don't get asked as often as I had expected. Sometimes I think people look but don't have the guts to come out and ask.

·
Premium Member
63,461 Posts
I've never demonstrated it because I just got it today!!! And just now got to play with it.  I turned the whispernet on and voila!  within a few minutes there was a huge list of stuff I had pre-ordered.  Wow, I ordered all that!?!  Better sell some quilts...

·
Registered
829 Posts
My favorite demo was in BJ's warehouse club.  I had seen a book I was waiting for and hadn't released it was released (Brisingr) and I whipped it out of my purse, fired it up, went to the Kindle store to download it.  Unfortunately the whispernet signal wasn't too strong in the store so I left it open on my menu page on top of my purse while I shopped to keep checking my download status.  I had walked away from my cart for a moment to look at something and when I turned around a woman was hovering over it trying to check it out.  She was embarrased that she thought she was being nosy and I laughed and handed the Kindle to her and started showing her all the features.  I didn't care if she was snooping - I wanted to show her my Kindle!!  My doctor, my dentist, my bank teller and my postman have all also been given demos.  Not to mention countless friends,  co-workers and family members.  :))

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have demonstrated the Kindle to so many people... especially on the Metro. As soon as one person askes about it, it seems like I'm suddenly giving a live infomercial to the whole car. I've received the greatest response at work, at Paralyzed Veterans of America, because many people with a spinal injury or MS have limited use of their hands and the Kindle makes holding and page turning so much more simple.
Amy

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
I've had my kindle since April, and it has surprised me that almost no one has asked about it.  I see people looking at me, but no one has ever actually approached me.  Until last night - my fiance had band practice at our house and they were all over it when they saw me reading.  And of course, I too was like an infomercial for the kindle!  It was actually kind of fun being able to show it off after all of these months having it! 

·
Registered
14 Posts
Still waiting on mine to arrive, so no chance to personally demonstrate.  However, my boyfriend is also well versed on Kindle as I've been talking non-stop for months, now.  Yesterday he was on the phone with a rep from our homeowners insurance company updating a few things and out of curiosity asked if the Kindle would be covered with other major items...she of course had no clue what it was.  So he told her, and they had an entire conversation about it!  He's actually quite the salesman...she's going to look into it for a Christmas present!

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I was on a plane SF to LA. When I took out my kindle and start to read, a lady sitting next to me said

"Is that the thing you read a book on? I heard about that and curious about it."
"Yes, Amazon Kindle. Would you like to see?"
"Yes!"

That was the first time someone asked me about my kindle.

·
Registered
695 Posts
After demonstrating mine to a co-worker he's already bought one for himself and one for his mom.  I have 2 other co-workers who will probably get one soon and my sister is waiting for her demo.

·
Registered
35 Posts
OK, I found it!  Love the search function in the forum!  I just ordered my Kindle yesterday.  However, I have been stalking the kindle for some time.  Through my stalking, I have four people interested in buying it.  Two are English teachers in my school (they want to see it before they buy it).  Another is a student of mine who is completely sold (he wants Amazon gift cards for Christmas so he can pool them together and buy one).  The last is my best friend who now lives halfway across the country and is a psychology major.  If it weren't for being a poor student, she would be buying one.  I will be seeing her over Thanksgiving, and I will have mine with me.  Depending on how things go I might approach her BF about splitting the cost on one for her.

·
Registered
146 Posts
jdsmke said:
OK, I found it! Love the search function in the forum! I just ordered my Kindle yesterday. However, I have been stalking the kindle for some time. Through my stalking, I have four people interested in buying it. Two are English teachers in my school (they want to see it before they buy it). Another is a student of mine who is completely sold (he wants Amazon gift cards for Christmas so he can pool them together and buy one). The last is my best friend who now lives halfway across the country and is a psychology major. If it weren't for being a poor student, she would be buying one. I will be seeing her over Thanksgiving, and I will have mine with me. Depending on how things go I might approach her BF about splitting the cost on one for her.
I might be one of the worse stdents in the world, and I still bought one.... It's not really improving my studentness.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I was working at the Free Clinic last evening and of course, had to show off my Kindle to my friend Sue, the other nurse who was working last night. The doctor started chuckling when he saw it. Turns out he bought one for his wife for her birthday in June! That's the first case I've heard of someone who gave the Kindle as a gift.

He told me they had a friend who came to visit in May and the friend had a Kindle. Well, that's all the doctor's wife (sorry, I don't know her name!) needed to see and she wanted one...and got it for her birthday. She loves it as much as all of us!

I gave him the URL of this board so who knows, she may drop in for a visit! I hope so...

L

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Today I was getting my hair cut. Adam, the guy who cuts my hair has seen my Kindle at every appointment I have had since I received it last April. I've shown him how it works but he always says, "Well, I really like the way a book feels...and smells..."

But today....he's cutting away, my Kindle is on the counter and suddenly a lightbulb goes off over his head. "Show me how that works again!" he said, so I did. And then I asked why. He had just had the brilliant idea that this might be the perfect Christmas gift for his boyfriend. "Great idea," I said. "I think it is the perfect gift for anybody!"

I have another appointment in 5 weeks so I'll find out then if he followed through on the purchase...

L

1 - 20 of 96 Posts