Kindle Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It gets frustrating after a few times. It's not really the cost of it that bothers me, but just the whole breach of trust.

Then there are other times like the time I got a glowing email one morning from a lady veterinarian in another state who obviously loved my book. Made my day even though she never posted it on her website like she said she would.

What has happened to humanity? Say one thing and do another seems to be the norm.

I wish we could all go back to that 1987 thread. People were more normal then.





 

·
Registered
Joined
·
705 Posts
CatherineM said:
I wish we could all go back to that 1987 thread. People were more normal then.
Since moving to rural VA, I've actually had a good dose of 1987 and now mixed together. Cell phones don't work here, I talk to my neighbors at the store, and I can still come home to netflix and things. The bad part is that it makes things sink in more when I got to the city. Like, when I see two people sitting together at a restaurant and they are both on their phones I'm a little stunned. I don't know, it's just how things are, but the craziness hits a little harder if I don't see it every day.

But yeah, 1987...it's not just nostalgia if things really were better. All star wars movies were good star wars movies back then.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
705 Posts
Ha, right on.  It's nice when people from work can't just call you at all hours.  But yeah, the part about the say one thing and do another mentality is definitely a thing.  Maybe it's a focus thing.  Like, I could leave a nice review for a nice author, or I could watch 5 2-minute youtube videos.  Either that or the general level of "Meh" in the world has gone up.  Heh, who knows?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
820 Posts
Heard a (likely apocryphal) story once about a father who ripped the phone from his daughter's hands at church, walked outside and did a left-field-to-home-plate heave of it into a flood control channel where it shattered.  When he came back inside, he received a standing ovation. 

I would have paid exorbitant amounts of American currency to have been in attendance at that particular service. 


 
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,173 Posts
CatherineM said:
It gets frustrating after a few times. It's not really the cost of it that bothers me, but just the whole breach of trust.

Then there are other times like the time I got a glowing email one morning from a lady veterinarian in another state who obviously loved my book. Made my day even though she never posted it on her website like she said she would.

What has happened to humanity? Say one thing and do another seems to be the norm.

I wish we could all go back to that 1987 thread. People were more normal then.
Can you explain what you mean by the subject line ("sent a paperback based on an agreement"? Do you mean that someone "agrees" or "promises" to send money for a paperback, and never does? I'm having trouble figuring out why someone would contact the author directly and ask for a paperback. As far as I'm concerned, that's why we have retail outlets... so WE don't have to get involved in such situations, and all we have to do is send them a link.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Jena H said:
Can you explain what you mean by the subject line ("sent a paperback based on an agreement"? Do you mean that someone "agrees" or "promises" to send money for a paperback, and never does? I'm having trouble figuring out why someone would contact the author directly and ask for a paperback. As far as I'm concerned, that's why we have retail outlets... so WE don't have to get involved in such situations, and all we have to do is send them a link.
To be clear, I contacted them first. It was their choice to respond.

I've had two different horse website reps tell me that they loved the story and that they would put a link on their sites. Neither have happened even though they told me they liked the book very much. Two others have said that they would leave reviews that never happened. I went out of my way to send these books out and it just leaves a bad taste in my mouth. That is not something I would ever do to someone.

It was just a handshake. Which amounts to nothing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Jena H said:
Can you explain what you mean by the subject line ("sent a paperback based on an agreement"? Do you mean that someone "agrees" or "promises" to send money for a paperback, and never does? I'm having trouble figuring out why someone would contact the author directly and ask for a paperback. As far as I'm concerned, that's why we have retail outlets... so WE don't have to get involved in such situations, and all we have to do is send them a link.
Oops. And I just saw your cute tuxie! :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,173 Posts
CatherineM said:
To be clear, I contacted them first. It was their choice to respond.

I've had two different horse website reps tell me that they loved the story and that they would put a link on their sites. Neither have happened even though they told me they liked the book very much. Two others have said that they would leave reviews that never happened. I went out of my way to send these books out and it just leaves a bad taste in my mouth. That is not something I would ever do to someone.

It was just a handshake. Which amounts to nothing.
Oh, that really stinks, I'm sorry it happened. On one hand, something along these lines happens to all of us at one time or another. On the other hand it should serve as a (painful) learning experience. You know the saying, "Fool me once, shame on you....." ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Jena H said:
Oh, that really stinks, I'm sorry it happened. On one hand, something along these lines happens to all of us at one time or another. On the other hand it should serve as a (painful) learning experience. You know the saying, "Fool me once, shame on you....." ;)
Yep. I don't think they were really intentional, but it's just annoying. I'm done with that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,173 Posts
CatherineM said:
Oops. And I just saw your cute tuxie! :)
You have one too!! 8) Mine is a sweetie, and below her white "bib," there is a heart-shaped patch of white on her upper belly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
354 Posts
Earlier in my career, I was contacted by a review group, said if I send copies, they will read and give honest reviews.  Inexperianced me, sent 32 PB copies.  Not ONE review from that group. 

At this point, if a group or website asks for free copies for exposure or reviews, I no longer give freebies, anywhere to anyone, unless I meet some individual face to face, and offer it as a gift - no strings attached. 

Might have lost some later sales for newer book releases, but giving away free books after all the time and effort to write it, not for me any longer.  It almost seems like the main event today is how many freebies we can give away, or how much we're willing to pay to sit on a group promotion list.  How many book does one have to sell, just to break even? 

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
192 Posts
You should never expect a review from a blogger. Not even if they tell you they will. There could be any number of reason they don't from forgetfulness to not liking the book. As an indie, you will typically be low on the priority list. It sucks, but that's the way it is. Bloggers with large followings get sent hundreds of ARC's from publishers, some going so far as to include nice gifts to go along with the book.
Which brings me to my point. If you really wan to stand out, send other stuff too. Key-chains, candy, whatever....Make receiving your book an event. It increases your odds of a review and decreases your odds if they don't like it they'll say so publicly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
145 Posts
Sounds like this is a lesson in never sending print books in hopes for a review. Like others have said, you can never guarantee that you'll get a review, so I don't think it makes a lot of sense to put out the cost of a paper book + shipping to do it. Send an e-book, sure, because it costs you nothing and lose nothing if they don't review it. But do even that with the understanding that some people are just hunting for free books, so even sending an e-book for free might not be a great idea. But at least if you do and you get nothing for it, you're not out any money directly.

I'm always surprised when I hear about the percentage of people who agree to review a book and never do (or even attempt to). It's disheartening, but I think we all just need to accept this is how it is and manage expectations accordingly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,708 Posts
ShawnaReads said:
I'm always surprised when I hear about the percentage of people who agree to review a book and never do (or even attempt to). It's disheartening, but I think we all just need to accept this is how it is and manage expectations accordingly.
A lot of reviewers don't like to leave reviews if they can't leave good reviews, so maybe it's just a case of those people not liking the book but rather than tell you they didn't like it, and that was why they didn't leave a review, they just let it go.
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top