Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These unfinished manuscripts taunt me. Seriously, it's an extra weight I carry daily. I have a three book dragon fantasy that I begun three years ago, before I became sick. Now that I'm better, I need to finish. I also have another dragon story that seemed to stall half-way through. I changed the plot so many times, and now I don't even want to look at it again.

I'm plotting ROMANCE NOVEL II and am nearly finished with another comedy. I also have a comedy screenplay that I need to convert to novel form. My comedy and fantasy muses pull me in opposite directions, and I want to write both but seem to lack the time.  Not to mention the fact that I'd need to create yet another pen-name and FB, Twitter, etc.

Please tell me I'm not alone.
PJ

·
Registered
901 Posts
I have seven titles that I've started at some level... either in the planning stage or at least two full chapters written with a plot synopsis to keep it moving forward.

And that doesn't count the unnumbered stories that are still in this crazy skull of mine. I really need a device that will read my mind and put these things on paper while I sleep or something.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
I probably have over 20 unfinished projects, that I will eventually finish. 

I am officially done my last contractual obligation for Harlequin, so now I have the freedom to work on whatever the hell I want. Wheeeeeeeeee!!

Very excited.  First time in 6 years that I haven't had some deadline looming on me.

I would love to bang out at least 4 of those projects this year. They are in varying conditions, some are half done, some are only like 3 chapters and detailed synop...

I also have 5 scripts I need to finish as well.

I guess I'm going to be busy.... LOL

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ViviAnna, are you going at it by yourself now? How exciting! You already have the fan base, so you should do well.

JHanel, now I don't feel so bad. LOL. I'm going to shoot my dragon story over to my crit partner and get her assessment on it. Is it even worth straying from comedy to also pursue a fantasy career? PJ

·
Registered
872 Posts
Of the two different series of novels I'm currently publishing (with four and two of each set already available, respectively), the final volume of the automotive action-adventure series (the fifth) may need some major tweaking before publication, as its last chapter was actually the very first I wrote in the whole collection (about the end of my supercar). I mean, the chapter is complete, as is: it's just that I feel my writing style and quality has changed a lot since I did it.

As for my sci fi series, there too the very final book (the fourth) has one chapter in need of some hefty work. Considerably more work than the supercar book section just mentioned. Because I sort of ended up sweeping all the loose ends of the entire series into the one chapter to be tied up. And it's NOT the last chapter, but the next to last(!).

I've also got an entirely different sci fi book which is currently about 60-70% complete, but with a couple of major chapters not yet even in rough draft form, but only skeletal concept. Heck: I've even got something which might be considered a paranormal romance in similar condition (one partner dies long before the other, but a couple times helps the other as a ghost; then the first partner finally dies and meets up with the second again in the afterlife, only to discover a whole new adventure awaits them there).

Then I have quite a few non-fiction works which would either require a major intro be added to them, or be heavily reorganized to fit into ebook form.

So I've got quite a few!

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
PJJones said:
ViviAnna, are you going at it by yourself now? How exciting! You already have the fan base, so you should do well.
Yeah, Glimmer and Dawning are my first selfpubs. 2 of many to come.

I'm still shopping some projects with my agent, but evrything else that isn't a go is getting self-pubbed. I'm tired of sitting on stuff.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
I have probably 8 works in progress. Some are on the back burner and some are 'next in line'. Currently I'm working on 3 that are in various stages. One should be out *fingers crossed* the end of summer, another in the fall and one this winter. I should be worried about this many books in this amount of time, but I'm not. Somehow, I know it will all work out. :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
I had several novels that I wrote in my 20s. However, I lose them all since I never backed them up. And they were probably not that great anyway. So, I just consider it practice.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I have about six.

1 Vampirotica Novella - So close to be done, I need to bite the bullet and finish. (publishing under a pen-name)

2 shorts and I Urban Fantasy Novel - Again, need to apply but in chair and write!

Lots of other short little pieces.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Wow about six.
One is is the editing stages and I should have ready to publish by this fall.

Then the last in my current series which should be out by early 2012. 

I have a few chapters of 2 of  another romance series I started a while back.

There is a paranormal romance I started writing years ago. I keep pushing it to the back burner because it's a bit out of my comfort zone. But the story nags me! (write me! write me!) It also begs to be written in first person which is DEFINITELY out of my comfort zone.

Before all the last two, I've had readers request a novel or novella of one of my side characters in my current series. Ever since they planted the seed the story is growing in my head. So I may just end up with a 5 book series instead 4, as originally planned.

Good to know I won't be getting bored anytime soon.  ;D   

·
Registered
686 Posts
After counting...I have five manuscripts unfinished.

1. Almost complete (but requires a lot of re-work)
2. A quarter written (I had the beginning and the end written but couldn't put in the fillers)
3. A third written (the story didn't turn out as I had expected)
4. & 5.  Outline complete (I just have to get myself motivated to sit down and write them) 

·
Registered
548 Posts
I have a bunch partially-written stories and more ideas for stories than I can handle in three lifetimes.

1) S&L: Completed, but in round 2 of edits.
2) BoI: Completed 1st draft (a planned 6-9 book series).
3) AtA: Completed 30k novella that needs revisions--my heroess needs work. (Links to #2 but is stand alone. Different story line--same world.)
4) WIP1: Approx. 40k of 50-60k story (with trilogy potential).
5) WIP2: Approx. 35k of 50-60k story.
6) TV: Only 10k of 50-60k story.

Those are the main WIP's--the ones I'd like to finish first. I probably have a dozen others in various stages, with anywhere from 10-20k words. And I have enough ideas after those to keep me in stories for three lifetimes.  :eek:

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I've started dozens over the years that never got finished.

My problem is that there is always a shiny new idea coming along.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
A.S. Warwick said:
I've started dozens over the years that never got finished.

My problem is that there is always a shiny new idea coming along.
I also have shiny new idea syndrome, especially when I hit the dreaded middle of a project after the initial burst of enthusiasm has been dampened. I may revisit a few that I really liked.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Lisa Scott said:
I also have shiny new idea syndrome, especially when I hit the dreaded middle of a project after the initial burst of enthusiasm has been dampened. I may revisit a few that I really liked.
I keep a notebook for that issue. I jot down the idea, promising myself I'll get to use it later as long as I finish what I'm working on now. It works (usually).

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
samanthawarren said:
I keep a notebook for that issue. I jot down the idea, promising myself I'll get to use it later as long as I finish what I'm working on now. It works (usually).
I've got numerous notebooks full of notes, all of which I promise I'll finish someday.

There are days when I feel I need a ghost writer or three to finish off all these stories while I just brainstorm new ones.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
I have a dozen that I can think of off the top of my head, not including short stories, and not including books in the 2 series I'm currently working on.  Only a few of them are ones I started as a newbie and have no intentions of ever finishing.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I have one that is about 70% done from about 4 years ago. I plan to finish (revise brutally), then pub in autumn. As a matter of fact...shouldn't I be writing now? Ha! Talk to you guys soon... :D  ;)

1 - 20 of 71 Posts