Kindle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today, I noticed one leading author has priced her paperback (Romance, 266 pages) @ $21.88 in the Amazon US store. It made me start thinking about how much paperbacks tend to sell for in the US.

Here in the UK, they tend to be in the £5 - £7.99 range ($6.80 - $10.87) for a 300 page book, with supermarkets selling at the low end, sometimes below £5 ($6.80). Naturally, longer page length books are a bit higher.

With the ability to set individual prices in different stores, I thought it might be interesting to hear what people say about their local trad outlets, grocery stores etc. So. how much do people typically pay where you live?

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
I'm in Canada. Chapters/Indigo is our big brick and mortar store.

A random search in romance shows trade paperbacks are most commonly listed around $22. Mass markets are priced at $10.99/11.99/12.99.

I have no idea what supermarket prices are like, but will try to remember to check next time I'm getting groceries.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Today, I noticed one leading author has priced her paperback (Romance, 266 pages) @ $21.88 in the Amazon US store. It made me start thinking about how much paperbacks tend to sell for in the US.

Here in the UK, they tend to be in the £5 - £7.99 range ($6.80 - $10.87) for a 300 page book, with supermarkets selling at the low end, sometimes below £5 ($6.80). Naturally, longer page length books are a bit higher.

With the ability to set individual prices in different stores, I thought it might be interesting to hear what people say about their local trad outlets, grocery stores etc. So. how much do people typically pay where you live?
Was that American author published traditionally or through KDP? Because there's a huge difference in prices between traditionally published paperbacks and those published through KDP. With a 500+ page book with expanded distribution you can't really price it for less than 19.99 otherwise you just won't get any royalties worth mentioning. Same applies to all the other Amazon markets, and a 500+ page paperback published through KDP will cost in excess of £17 on amazon.co.uk.

So if that author published through KDP, I'm not surprised her books were expensive, but I'm pretty sure if you look her book up on amazon.co.uk, it'll be just as expensive.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Was that American author published traditionally or through KDP? Because there's a huge difference in prices between traditionally published paperbacks and those published through KDP.
Yes, I agree. Unfortunately, I only came across her book whilst browsing and I had no interest beyond that, so I don't recall any of her book details. Simply stuck me as quite a high price and I wondered if the US market (and others) are used to paying that much for a paperback. Especially as mine are set a lot lower,

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
This link is probably a decent barometer of the prices of mass market paperbacks in your average American box store. I haven't looked over box store paperbacks in a while, but I think these prices are similar to what you see -- maybe a buck lower overall, because I think most paperbacks (200 pages on average?) I remember looking at were around 10 bucks.

Paperback Books (walmart.com)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts