Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that many consider it sacrilege to pay more than $9.99 and most want to pay less for Kindle books.  I don't really mind most of the pricing that has come my way and have paid up to $18.00 for some books.  I believe that paying a higher price now is just part of our price for the technology as it gains popularity.  Sort of like the horrendous pricing on DVDs as that technology gained general and wide acceptance.  If a book is ONLY available in hardcover for $20, then I'm not squawk too much about paying anywhere from $14 to $18 in order to read it before paperback pricing is available.

I am sure that in a few years the industry will settle on a standard, especially since it looks like Amazon is pushing the $9.99 base price (currently for best sellers). 

I am interested to know what you all think.

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
There are certain authors that I bought as soon as they arrived. Mostly hard back and paid $24.00 or more, so I don't mind paying up to $15 to get it on the Kindle. I'm still saving money. The same with paperbacks, if it is cheaper than buying the DTB I don't mind the cost.

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
$9.99 is an artificial ceiling since it was Amazon that said they would try to keep bestsellers at that price.  So that's the price that is stuck in my head as my top price.  I've paid $9.99 one time and $8 twice for a very favorite author. 

My actual top price is $7.99 because that's the price I would pay for a new paperback.  On the other hand, I rarely buy new paperbacks. 

I prefer to keep my purchases at $1.99 or less.  I've paid $6.39 for Jude Deveraux and Nora Roberts, and I've paid $7.99 for Stephanie Plum. 

As much as I love the Miss Julia books, I won't pay $14.82.  If the latest book comes down to $7.99 when the paperback comes out, I'll get it.  I doubt if it will, though.  And at the prices they're asking, I won't replace my DTVs. 

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
I generally pay no more than used paperback pricing although I might pay new paperback pricing if I really wanted something. I wouldn't pay brand new prices. There's plenty to read while waiting for paperback pricing and that money wouldn't be wasted on overpriced immediacy but would go for a few assorted reasonably priced reads.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Ultimately, the prices will fall and level out. Look at what MP3s did to the music market. I remember paying ~$17 for a music CD, now the basic price of an MP3 album is $9.99. Apple and Amazon seem to have gotten the music industry to accept this pricing (despite their compaining), I think the publishers will likely follow suit.

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
I attempt to keep all books at $6.69 or less. I have paid 9.99 for 5 books. There are so many great books available for less than 9.99 I can wait on the price to drop.

Linda

·
Registered
795 Posts
I like to keep it no higher than $9.99 for novels, although once I paid more than that for a new Nora Roberts that came out the same day I had to leave on a long business trip. Being able to read it on the plane that day was worth the extra bucks to me. But I am willing to spend considerably more on scholarly books or reference books. I paid over $30 for an acupressure book that has been out of print for ages and suddenly became available in kindle format. I've also been willing to spend a lot more on yoga books. Pen and ink sketches in one of my favorite yoga manuals translate very well to the kindle version, and I love being able to use the search feature to find the postures I want immediately.

It all depends on what floats your boat. If a certain book feels valuable to you or is something you really want than who is to say how much is too much to pay?

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
Because i am so new at this, I haven't paid more than $3.99 for any book. I have more than 70 books ready for my kindle when it arrives, most of them free classics. I won't need to buy anything for awhile. However, I would not consider paying $15 too excessive, as I have paid far more for hardbacks many times. I do hope that the prices stabilize somewhere between eight and twelve dollars eventually.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
I don't really have a problem with paying $9.99 or more for a Kindle book, if it's something I really want and want now.  That said, $9.99 is the highest I've paid so far, and not many of those.  I have so many books that I've already bought or downloaded for free, there are not many books over $5 that I'm even tempted to get right away - they go on my wishlist.

G

·
In the end economics will prevail.  They will test the waters to see how much we will pay and we will respond by trying to pay as little as possible.

Eventually they will find their magic number.  The highest price they can charge and still make a good profit based on the profit margin and the number of units sold.

·
Registered
5,981 Posts
I paid $18 for the most recent Codex Alera novel.  I knew that it would come doen in price when it hit the best seller list but I wanted it the day it was released. I paid less then I would have if I had purchased the DTB and that was enough for me.

Most of the time I am concerned with if I want to read the book and not worried about the price. I will check and see if the paperback is selling for less. It is rare that I see a paperback version for less then the Kindle version.

I am downloading the free books that they offer if they look interesting. One of these days I will will download from the free book websites. For right now, the books I am reading are more recently released.

G

·
I got lucky and I don't know how i did it but I got Princep's Fury for $9.99 for my Kindle.  I saw it went up in price after that.  Somehow I managed to get it set up as a preorder for that price.  I don't know how I did it and haven't been able to get a Kindle preorder since.

It was good but left me a bit unsatisfied.  I guess the next book will take care of that.

·
Registered
5,981 Posts
heheh I have been avoiding using he titles, just in case anyone wants to read the books. The later ones are a bit spoilerish. (grins)

I rather enjoyed PF. It ended with a much larger cliff hanger then the first three but I expected that. 11 months before FLF is released.  I am posting at the Jim Butcher board about the books. Can't wait for the next Dresden book.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Please excuse my comment, but you are all kidding yourselves. We are all suffering from sticker shock right now, so we bravely say we won't pay $X or $Y. I prefer reading books on a Kindle. While I, also, will not pay more than $9.99 RIGHT NOW, I know that eventually I will pay any amount up to the paperback price for a book I want. If the Kindle book and a paperback were the same price, and I enjoy reading the Kindle more, why would I buy the paperback. Maybe I would right now because I am angry at Amazon for the price increases, but I know in the long run I will pay the higher price. However it might not be good for them for selling more Kindles.

Steve

·
Registered
205 Posts
for a brand-new hardback novel $9.99 is my limit

for a brand-new paperback novel $6.39 is my limit

if the books have been out for awhile, then I expect them to go down slightly.  if the books have been out for years, i expect the prices to go down a LOT. 

Note, there are few books/series that I would buy as soon as they come out.  It kills me when I see a book that's been out in paperback for two years and they want like 8 bucks for it.  Forget it!  ANY ebook should be cheaper than the DTB counterpart as they do not have the paper and shipping costs. 

G

·
Just like any drug, they lure us in with free books, free samples, then bargain book.  Just when we think life is sweet, BAM!  they have us hooked and the prices shoot sky high!

·
Registered
731 Posts
Since I would buy two or more hardcovers every Tuesday 52 times a year...I don't really have a price point. They would cost me between $25 and $40 each so anything less than that seems OK with me. I imagine I'd balk at paying $30 for a Kindle book but I doubt that I'll ever be asked to.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I've been thinking about this a lot.  Prior to getting the Kindle, I've paid as much as $15 for an electronic advanced readers copy (ARC) for Baen books that I couldn't wait to get, and then popped out the $25 for the hardback also and not thought about it.  In contrast, I feel guilty buying $9.99 books on Amazon for some obscure reason.  Part of this is that his just too easy to buy at Amazon, I think, and too easy for me to go over my budget without realizing it - one click is dangerous!  I'm thinking about letting myself have 2 $9.99 books a month and about $30 for other books on Amazon since we're still buying DTBs.  I'm sure something will come along that will cause me to spend $15 for a book from Amazon sooner or later, so I guess that $15 is my price point - still cheaper than the DTB.

Katiekat

1 - 20 of 114 Posts