Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't wait any longer!! My wishlist is getting long!!  :p

I anticipate that I will spend around fifty dollars those first couple of days I have it! This is bad, very bad!  :eek:

Or, in the case of the ebook industry: This is good! Very good!  :D

Did anyone spend much more than that? Do you gain control over the book buying impuses a LITTLE bit once you have it a while?

·
Registered
339 Posts
I was in the middle of a dtb and so I bought it on the K.  I was reading that so in the first few days I didn't spend too much, but collectively over the last few months...wait, I don't want to add that up!!

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
In order to budget, I purchase Amazon gift cards.  That of course, is not counting the cover(s), the book lights, the skins . . .  We might tell ourselves that buying saves us money because the books are cheaper!  Hah!  It's like an obsession -- we can't quit spending!  ::)

·
Registered
679 Posts
I actually spent way more on books the second month I had Bast instead of the first.., when i fisrt got him,I ordered some books i hadnlt read and ajust a couple i had in a DTV that I saw at a good price. After reading on the kindle for a while, next month a I started buying a lot more of books i had n DTV (or hadbut wanted again).

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
first days...I bought the entire Southern Vampire Mysteries Series, the first three Stephanie Plum books, and a couple newer books....about 100-ish dollars, which is a lot on a college budget. got grounded from one-click. (don't have my own card) Luckily, there's coinstar. pocket change doesn't last long in my house anymore. lol

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
I didn't spend but maybe $20 the first couple of days. As soon as I found out about Coinstar machines and Amazon gift cards, I took half of the change from my change bucket to the nearest Coinstar and got a gift certificate for about $189.00. I spent all that on books in about 4 days. I took the rest of the change a few days later (almost $170) and was a bit more careful and it last me about 5 weeks. The majority of the books I purchased were under $5.

·
Registered
9,172 Posts
I easily spent $100 in the first few days (it was my husband's credit card so I took advantage) - I still spend about that much a month.  I also do the Coinstar certificates now.  I only work about 8 hours a week outside the home so when I take my paycheck to the bank I now ask for cash in all change (my coinstar doesn't take bills) and walk out with rolls of quarters, dimes, nickels - whatever they have the most of on hand and unroll them into the coinstar machine!

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I was very careful the first few days, b/c I know I have a tendency to overspend (don't knock it.  It's keeping the economy going down here).

The second month, however....

I think I downloaded all 8 Sookie books in about 8 days.  What? I had a cold.  Had to do something to keep myself entertained!  And then all 4 Twilight books in about 8 days, then 2 of the Outlander books, then the Hitchhiker's books 2-4 got released.  It was really all downhill after that.

Also, I believe Angela lives in Texas, Tessa.  Therefore, her change bucket would naturally be larger than the average.

·
Registered
788 Posts
When I first bought my Kindle (with the $50 Oprah discount) I didn't buy ANYTHING. Not even a book. I downloaded a lot of samples, but the first book I began reading on my Kindle was "The Secret Garden", which I got from one of the free book sites.

I didn't spend much money on my Kindle until after Christmas, two months after I'd bought it.

But that's just me.

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
Can someone tell me about coinstar and amazon gift certificates? Where would I find a coinstar?
Thanks,
Karen ???
Go to coinstar.com. Not all machines issue the gift certificates. The website will tell you which ones are nearest to you. When you get an e-certificate, coinstar doesn't charge you a fee for converting your change. Some machines will take bills. Once you get your Amazon certificate (just a receipt with a large number on it), go to Amazon, Your Account, Manage Your Account and enter the number. You will see the amount posted immediately.

When you buy something from Amazon, the amount will be deducted from your e-cert first, no matter what it is you buy.

Also, if you click on the Amazon link above, a small amount of your purchase will go toward supporting this board.

·
Registered
326 Posts
When i took my kindle out of the box the first thing i did was plug it in and go to the kindle store. I bought Subterranean by James Rollins for $6.39 i believe. Then i started transferring tons of free books i downloaded while waiting for it to arrive. It wasnt until late in the 2nd month that i started actually buying a few books, but when i first got it i just had to try out that whispernet!

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
tessa said:
Angela

That $359.00 how big is this change bucket?

Tessa
LOL!! It was a 1 gallon container, but we actually had more than one... There was the one at the house in Houston, the one here and the one at the lake house... plus the console in his truck and the console in his camaro. Once we gathered up all the change I had more than my 1 gallon bucket could hold. Oh, and the change did not include pennies!! We began gathering all the change into one location to pull out the pennies to donate to a mission project that the kid's at church were working on and was VERY surprised at just how much money we had lying around in loose change! :)

robin.goodfellow said:
Also, I believe Angela lives in Texas, Tessa. Therefore, her change bucket would naturally be larger than the average.
LOL :D LOL

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
LOL. My kindle hadn't even arrived and I had spent $25 in books. $15 for skin. Then after it arrived a cover for $80. Now though I spend maybe $10 a month. I have to be careful but I have lots to keep me occupied.

wow Angela, I wish my house, car, and husband leaked change like that!  ;D ::) my problem is I got out of the habit of using cash. Which I need to get back into so I have change for a change!  :eek: ;D

theresam

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
wow Angela, I wish my house, car, and husband leaked change like that!
Really! You reckon she'd auction off being able to follow them around for a day or something?

·
Registered
7,162 Posts
I have not yet received my Kindle and I have spent $44.43 on 29 books from Amazon. I have been controlling my purchases by never spending more than my current gift certificate balance. I started with a $25 gift certificate and then saved change and used CoinStar. (I use pennies as change so that when my coin purse is full it has > $5.)

My early book purchases have been Kindle guides (F.A.Q. was first), Kindle book club books (even though I do not have the Kindle yet), free books that looked interesting, and some recommendations from the bargin book threads. I made a spreadsheet to track my Kindle books. According to a savings calculation based on Amazon, I have saved $217.73. I added a column to indicate if I would have bought the book without the Kindle. Using that calculation, I have not saved anything yet. ;)

I have downloaded many free books from other sites (classics and Baen). Including the cost of the Kindle with the books bought from Amazon, my average price per book is just over a dollar. :D

I don't remember how many samples I selected but it was not very many.

My planned strategy for limiting my spending is to:
  • never spend more than my current gift certificate balance,
  • have lots of free books I have always wanted to read on my Kindle,
  • check frequently for good free and bargin books,
  • get a sample if I am not certain about the book,
  • and think carefully before pushing the buy button.

Anna

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
This was probably a year of more of change collecting... When I was still living in Houston, I would sometime raid the change bucket before work to pick up a latte at Starbuck's or to use later for lunch just so I wouldn't have to stop by the ATM to get cash. When you don't touch all that change for a year or more, it adds up! :)

·
Registered
139 Posts
I'm gonna need all this tips, so far I haven't been able to control myself that much. I don't have money after buying the K2 so I decided to concentrate on freebies, but as I look through those I find the book Klub book or the one I've always wanted to read, or the one that my friend said I had to read so I'm doomed.
I'm gonna do the gift card thing and a list, that way I don't forget the books and don't go broke.
;D

1 - 20 of 26 Posts