Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am I the only one that believes reading a good book every day makes me a better writer? Do folks make time to read every day? If so how much time do you set aside? How many words you read each day may be as important as how many you write.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
I read daily, but I don't clock it. Sometimes it's a whole book, sometimes it's a chapter, or a page. If I were to average it out, I suppose a couple books a week is pretty average.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
I love reading, so making me stop would be difficult. I've never timed it, but if I get lost in a good book, it can be eight hours before I look up, "come to," and realize day has turned to night. Yesterday, I read for only an hour or so. Some days, much more.

·
Registered
5,828 Posts
I don't read much any more. Or at least, I very rarely finish a book. I read so much in my youth that I pretty much burned out. :(

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
I don't read every day, but when I do read I generally go through an entire book in one sitting. I read about two books a week right now. That will go up in the summer.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I don't burn through books (the schedule makes this damn near impossible) but I do read daily. The goal for this year is 60 books which kind of keeps me in check when I slack off. It does help my writing.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I read everyday--on my breaks at work, and a half hour or more in bed. Sometimes I'll read for a whole evening but can't do that often.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I realize it sounded like I meant a whole book every day. If you can do that you're way ahead of the game. I try for a half hour or reading in the morning and that again or more in the evening. I also have a few going at the same time, but typically only one fiction novel and the rest research for whatever I'm writing about.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I don't set aside time.  I read while cooking, walking, pushing my son on the swing, breastfeeding, bouts of insomnia...  Whenever I can cram some in. Thank heavens for ebooks and smart phones. When I was a kid, I was the one walking into telephone poles with my head stuck in a book.

I get through a handful of books a week.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I try to, but between work and a five and a half month old baby who is teething, finding time is hard.  I do try and read a few pages at night before sleep, if I can.

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
I do most of my book reading on the weekends during downtime at one of my side-jobs. During that time, I can get in anywhere from an hour or several hours of reading time in. I try to read before bed, but sometimes I'm too tired.

I read every day, but it's not always books. Sometimes it's websites for research purposes, sometimes it's comics.

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
I pretty much read daily, but I don't track it. My yearly average works out to more than a book a day, so that's good enough for me.

·
Registered
6,334 Posts
I started reading very young, and read voraciously my entire life. Right up until I started writing three years ago. Now, I hardly read at all. I always read because I wanted a story in my head. Now, I already have a story in my head, and there's only room for one, it seems. It's a very weird shift.

I do read some between books, mostly thrillers. And I read nonfiction. I never read in my genre--contemp romance & rom suspense. I do read some historical romance--more classic stuff. Georgette Heyer, M.M. Kaye.

I might read a book a month now. Used to read a couple books a week. (Always too busy working & raising a family to read more than that. I mostly "read" audiobooks while exercising, cooking, doing housework, etc.--a couple hours a day.) Not any more.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Somebody mentioned somewhere that they read a chapter or two of a book every day, and chug through 200 books a year. I've been trying to do that. I've got a bunch of good books on tap right now--just have to keep at it. Right now I'm reading the second novelization of the Girl Genius web comic, and it is fan-freaking-tastic. But it's also kind of really long. :-D

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Steven Hardesty said:
Reading is what separates us from the beasts and each day I try to become less beastly, so I always have 3-4 books going at once and pick up to read whichever calls to me at the moment for an hour or two of reading.

I try to read a bit each day, but it's not helping me in the beast department.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I try to read during the 15-20 min bus ride to work and from work. Otherwise I don't read much. Sometimes if I get into a really good book on the weekend, otherwise...reading time takes away from writing time, and writing time is generally more important.

I tend to get through maybe a book a month, it depends. I'm reading Game of Thrones right now so honestly even two or three of those books a year is a big accomplishment. x3 (I'm revisiting a lot of fantasy/sci-fi books that I read when I was younger.)

1 - 20 of 44 Posts