Kindle Forum banner

How much did you pay for books this month?

• Over $500

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • $400-499

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • $300-399

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • $200-299

Votes: 5 10.6%
  • $100-199

Votes: 8 17.0%
  • $50-99

Votes: 4 8.5%
  • $25-49

Votes: 14 29.8%
  • Less than $25.00

Votes: 15 31.9%
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
I'm sure I will have to get a gift card for my books.... all those little charges showing showing up on my card make me crazy, and buying a book here and there will add up quickly.

So I will budget the amount of a gift card and when it is gone I will decide if I can budget more....well, that's the plan for now anyway..... ::)

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
That is exactly why I got a gift card - thank you Vampy for the idea - my next month may be more as the gift card is more but no more gift card balance, no more books  :eek:  besides I have lots and lots freebies left to read  ;)

BTW Jeff - can your Treasure be read as two separate books or do they need to be read together?

·
Registered
9,176 Posts
I probably average about $75/month in spending, but not on credit card - all e-certificates from Coinstar (check out the now ll-oooo-nnnnn-ggg thread on the Let's Talk Kindle forum).  Plus, several people have commented on their credit cards refusing the less than $1.00 one-clicks so having a GC balance is easier.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Jeff, I certainly understand how your charges could reach that level.   There are just so many books and so little money.   I use the CoinStar ecertificates.  It is amazing how they can disappear in the blink of an eye.
Not to worry.... your books are on my Kindle.   Looking forward to them.

·
Registered
9,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Anju said:
BTW Jeff - can your Treasure be read as two separate books or do they need to be read together?
The two volumes of The Treasure of La Malinche are one very big book. I had to split it in half because of the page limit for trade paperbacks and then, stupidly, I published the Kindle edition as two books as well.

If Amazon's Digital Text Platform support was half as reliable as the Kindle support I would now combine the two volumes as one - but I dare not even try it. After three months of my begging, they finally removed three bogus $9.99 versions of my books from their web site but they also removed all the reviews. :D

·
Registered
9,176 Posts
Jeff - The Treasure sounds great - just downloaded the samples and will buy as soon as I have a new GC balance (after hubby's K2 charges out rather than eating up new GC balance).  Thanks!

·
Registered
9,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
crebel said:
Jeff - The Treasure sounds great - just downloaded the samples and will buy as soon as I have a new GC balance (after hubby's K2 charges out rather than eating up new GC balance). Thanks!
There's no point in all of us going bankrupt. I'll send you a link by PM where you download them free.

·
Registered
9,176 Posts
Links received, thanks Jeff!  However, the Amazon prices are already a bargain.  I don't mind supporting an author I like (especially one I have actually "talked" with)!

·
Registered
731 Posts
I spend about $200 a month on books. (About half of that is one-click and the other half cash.) It used to be much more but I don't have as much time to read anymore and Kindle new releases are much cheaper than brand new hardcovers. (I buy a lot of books the day they are released).

That's almost exactly what I used to spend on cigarettes each month :eek:

·
Registered
9,176 Posts
ScottBooks said:
That's almost exactly what I used to spend on cigarettes each month :eek:
Congratulations! More money for Kindle books will now go to the top of my list of incentives for quitting.

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
crebel said:
Congratulations! More money for Kindle books will now go to the top of my list of incentives for quitting.
Maybe I should start again so I can quit again and use the money I'll be saving for books. ::) On payday (every two weeks), I used to go to the Hess station and buy two cartons. That added up to $100 every four weeks and by the time I quit, it was well over $100 a month. That would have bought a lot of books! ;)

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
My average so far is about 165 per month.  I don't believe my bill will stay that high, although, my wish list is pretty long. 
deb

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
drenee said:
My average so far is about 165 per month. I don't believe my bill will stay that high, although, my wish list is pretty long.
deb
I think I spent the most in the first few months. Now I have so much to read, I'm able to slow down my buying. I know I'm missing out on some bargains, but at least I'm staying in budget, now.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I'm afraid to go look. The first couple of months I had the kindle I really overspent on books then I calmed down a little but I know it's still higher than I should. Now I'm seriously thinking about letting the cable go since I haven't watched tv at all since I got the kindle.

Melissa

·
Registered
364 Posts
Jeff said:
I got my American Express bill yesterday and was surprised to see that I'd spent $179.00 for books during a month where I didn't think I'd bought very many. :eek:

You don't want to know what I spent the previous month.

I think Whispernet may bankrupt me.
Yep. I spent $227.00 -- JUST on Kindle books!

Sharyn

·
Super Moderator
67,251 Posts
The CC I use for books is an Amazon card so when I spend on it I get points which translates to Gift Certificates every so often. Woo Hoo. . .another one due this month. <sorry> Anyway, I just looked at my most recent statement and came up with something around $40 to $45 in books this past month. I think that's on the low side; I know I spend more when I'm not working and have more time to read.

The other good thing about having an Amazon logo card is that they don't care about the many small charges because, well, they're all Amazon charges! Though I am still considering buying GC's. But they bill the magazines anyway which is probably near half of my 'book' purchases. So I am undecided.

Ann

·
Registered
4,791 Posts
I generally allow myself a $200 gift card every month, but it doesn't always get spent (and sometimes it gets spent really fast LOL). I still have just over $100 left on this month's balance with a week to go, although I think I may have carried over $30 or so from January too.  How much gets spent partly depends on how many good bargains and freebies come up during a month, not including the ever-present "classics" freebies. Then again, I've bought/downloaded a whole bunch of bargains and freebies the last few months that I still haven't even gotten around to reading yet, like several of the Random House books; they sound interesting enough at the price (or lack thereof) for "some day" but more-interesting stuff comes along in the meantime, even if I'm buying it...

·
Registered
740 Posts
I haven't spent much in January/February, I'm saving up for all the books I'm going to buy for my K2.  I'd say in March I'd probably spend around $200, and then after that maybe around $50-$75 per month would be my budget.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts