Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much do you tip for a haircut? Do you base it on the cost, the conversation, the longevity of knowing your hairdresser?

Is it a % of the cost of your perm? Your extensions? A quick clip?

·
Registered
711 Posts
JFHilborne said:
between 15% - 20%
Me also. Closer to 15% for color and cut. Closer to 20% when I have highlights done. I've been going to my same stylist for years, but we travel a lot and when I can't make it home I have to find someone wherever I am. What confuses me is when it's a large salon and one person shows you where the capes are/seats you/offers you something to drink, then a different person gives you a shampoo, then you finally make it to your stylist - if you haven't stopped along the way for a visit with a colorist. I never know whether to go to each person afterward or just leave it at the desk. It's nice when they have envelopes at the desk (sort of like church offerings!). :D Salons are so different.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
20% always, I have never been disappointed by my stylist.  Once I had to go to a different salon, the stylist was rude, did an extremely poor job, did nothing to correct it when I pointed it out to her and I zipped her.  Felt bad about it until I got home and realized what a mess she had made.

·
Registered
4,910 Posts
I get cut & color for $75.  I tip Tammy 20% / $15.  But then I also give $5 tip to shampoo person if she seems ensconced in the shop because she's got to shampoo me twice and may put color throughout my hairs.  (Appointment this Friday.)

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
I cut my own hair, as I find the prices of haircuts for women are rather crazy - to add a tip to the already large price tag, no thanks. The huge tips they expect was one of the reasons that finally convinced me just to do it my own darned self.

·
Registered
12,257 Posts
anne_holly said:
I cut my own hair, as I find the prices of haircuts for women are rather crazy - to add a tip to the already large price tag, no thanks. The huge tips they expect was one of the reasons that finally convinced me just to do it my own darned self.
Yep, I hear you. I haven't been to a salon since 1995. I cut my own hair. I feel totally overwhelmed with the tipping issue and how to handle it. Mind you, I am from Germany so tipping is a little different there. My solution is just not put myself in that situation. Last time I went I felt so uncomfortable all the way through. I didn't know who or how much and it just kept piling up cost wise. I felt so small afterwards I didn't have the heart anymore to do it again. So I started cutting on my own. My hair is long and all one length so it works ok.
Would I like to maybe have a cool cut one day? Sure, but I just cant get over that uncomfortable phobia. I'd rather have a root canal.

My hubby, he just goes to a super clip, in and out. No fuzz, no complications.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Atunah said:
Yep, I hear you. I haven't been to a salon since 1995. I cut my own hair. I feel totally overwhelmed with the tipping issue and how to handle it. Mind you, I am from Germany so tipping is a little different there. My solution is just not put myself in that situation. Last time I went I felt so uncomfortable all the way through. I didn't know who or how much and it just kept piling up cost wise. I felt so small afterwards I didn't have the heart anymore to do it again. So I started cutting on my own. My hair is long and all one length so it works ok.
Would I like to maybe have a cool cut one day? Sure, but I just cant get over that uncomfortable phobia. I'd rather have a root canal.

My hubby, he just goes to a super clip, in and out. No fuzz, no complications.
Agree with all of this. Hair salons seem designed to belittle and confuse people who are not "Salon Kinds of People." And the prices are never what are listed, and there's no way I'm going to pay a huge extra gratuity on top of all the hidden fees.

Who needs the aggravation? My hair grows for free, so I like to get rid of it for free, as well.

And, yes, my hair is all one length, as well, so it's as simple as chop-chop-chop.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
The last time I got my hair cut, I didn't tip anything.  I was so upset by their prices, I figured they had gouged me enough.  I had burned the very edge of my hair (long story short, don't be lazy and dry your hair by using your gas space heaters, just pull out your hair dryer) and went to have it trimmed off so I didn't smell burnt hair every time I showered.  I thought they would cut a couple of inches off since I told the lady to cut off the damaged area.  She cut about 1/4 of an inch, took 5 mins and was done.  You could barely see my hair on the white floor (I have red hair, so it shows up).  She then charged me (after tax) $16.  I didn't tip, I barely had anything done and I figure $16 for 5 mins worth of work (7 if you count ringing me up and putting the apron on me) was pretty good.  I also don't plan on getting my hair cut until it gets to my elbows (It's now mid back) or until DH gets sick and tired of laying on it every night.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts