Kindle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I positively FREEZE in front of a camera. Recently a professional photographer on-line friend made a general offer on his Facebook page to friends to take their photographs . . . pay what you want??!! I met Will in person on February 11. I stared into the camera. :eek: Will worked his magic. :)

Will is a professional. What do I pay him? He won't give me at least a hint. I don't want to overpay him to the point of being ridiculous. And I certainly do not want to underpay him. So how much?

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
$150 to $500 is pretty standard. Did he retouch the photos? This can take more time then actually taking the photos. And how many final images is he giving you? Since he is a friend, I'd say $200 to maybe $250 depending on how many final images he is giving you.

I do think not giving you a price up front is kind of strange...

·
Registered
4,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The quote below was Will's post on Facebook. Sort of explains the why of it. That would be Will. Nice, easygoing, relaxed person. Via e-mail I asked him to please give me a hint. Didn't get any. I first heard of Will a number of years ago on a local late night radio program. E-mailed with him some about camera recommendations. Met him in person for first time when he took the photo very recently. "Friend" in that sense.

Did he retouch / photoshop? Oh yeah. I need a lot of "shopping". ;) As I have no family, I asked him for six 3X5. He sent two 8X10, two 5X7, and two 4X6. Also four different size digitals with his permission to use as I want. (In the past I have worked for an intellectual property attorney.) He also took a quick passport photo. Pretty sure I'm going to Spain in October. :) App. 45 years since I was last there.

Thank you for your input. I didn't think about his time for retouching / photoshopping -- just the end results. I'm sure that took a while. And I will be talking (phone probably) with him about recommendations for my next camera. More of his time. I was just about to write the check to Will. $400. Want to get it in the early mail tomorrow.

Ta da. It's me.

Hey folks! It looks like I may be heading west to take a long term consulting gig soon. So, if any of my friends want one of my "Crockett Style" family portraits and those yummy prints I hand make - or if you want a nice headshot. Please contact me in the next 4 weeks or so. Pay me what ever you want, I just want you to have one of my images in case I do not come back to Chicago. If you need to see what I shoot, please hop on here:
http://www.willcrockett.pro/people-portraits
http://www.willcrockett.pro/people-kidsanddogs

·
Registered
4,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is so typical of me. I have a folder of e-mails from Will. Was going through them looking for something. Saw an e-mail that I put in the folder without reading. One of my requests for a hint got this answer . . .

Because I had the big family shoot in before you, I as able to cover the studio and assisting costs. So you can pay me somewhere around half of my normal portrait and print fee of $1200. so whatever you think is fair that's $450 to $600 is about right. If you are on a tight budget, it's fine to go less if you need to. I understand. I'm just glad we got a nice shot for you and it was a lot of fun too.
I can afford it. Check for $600 is in the mail.

Cuechick, again thanks for your input. Whew. So glad I did go looking at his e-mails again.

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
Whew. That's a relief. When I read the thread title, the first thing that leaped into my mind was someone wanting to hire a hit-person. Tell me again about the symptoms of reading too many thrillers...

;D

Mike

·
Registered
4,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
jmiked said:
Whew. That's a relief. When I read the thread title, the first thing that leaped into my mind was someone wanting to hire a hit-person. Tell me again about the symptoms of reading too many thrillers...

;D

Mike
Did you watch Chicago P.D. Wednesday night?

Just read your signature line. Yep, you can "claim" to make numbers say anything you want.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts