Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really hope I'm not the only one who does this... but I can't stand even the smallest speck of dust to lie upon my Kindle screen unchecked.  It could be so light and small that I only notice it because it has lighted upon a letter and I will obsessively do everything within my power to get it off.  And the screen seems to make dust -stick- so I have to use something more physical like a sleeve or my finger tip to get it to budge.  Please tell me I'm not the only one running around blowing on their Kindle incessantly and looking foolish in public.  Maybe that's why people don't ask me about my Kindle...

·
Registered
107 Posts
LOL...I know what you mean.  I still, at least one time each morning, use the sleeve of my soft housecoat to wipe the screen, and I go over it with a damp cloth each time I recharge it.  This has become routine.  I have the leather cover and have noticed that little black particles from the inside cover sometime appear on the screen.  This really drives me crazy.  I even look at my screen from all angles to make sure there  are no smudges.  I do this a lot.  IMO you are perfectly normal...LOL       

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
I'm always blowing on the screen. I finally started carrying an eye care cloths folded up in my cover so that I could clean the screen. I'm the same way with my laptop monitor and my glasses. :)

·
Registered
286 Posts
Wow!  I thought I was the only one.  My screen has to be immaculate.  Could you imagine us reading from our Kindles together at a local cafe or something?  Read, clean, read, read, clean.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I thought it was just me!! I was going to make a post but I was like "no way, everyone is going to think I'm nuts." lol. Not only am I obsessive about there not being dust, but if I use my finger to remove it, there's a smudge which then must be wiped away with a microfiber cloth. I bought one at best buy to replace the one I lost that came with my laptop and it sits on my nightstand specifically for this purpose.

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
Not the only one.  ;D

Tucked into the back pocket of my cover, behind the K2, I have my all time favorite microfiber lens cloth from back when microfiber was $20 for a little 8"x8" square. This thing is nearly 20 years old and NONE of the current cloths sold as microfiber works half as well as this one does.  I will be devastated if I ever lose it!

If I spot even the tiniest speck of debris, it's got to go.  Usually with a quick finger nudge. It will drive me completely nuts if I don't; this is not something I can just ignore. Smears & spots are scrubbed with the cloth as needed.

·
Registered
21,587 Posts
Nah.....you guys are obsessive and compulsive .... ya' know?

LOL.

IMHO you are normal if you do what works for you. But I couldn't let the opportunity go by.
Be of good cheer.  I have a screen protector on my K2 that has trapped a couple of pieces of lint and I am always forgetting that it is under the protector and cannot be removed.  But I get to focussed on my reading that I forget and try to wipe it off.  I laugh at myself a lot over this.

Just sayin......

·
Registered
417 Posts
I'm another one that tries to keep my screen clean. I have a little cloth I use to wipe it off. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one.  ;D

·
Registered
740 Posts
Same here, I try to clean my Kindle at least 2-3 times a day.  This is one of the reasons I didn't get the iphone because I know the screen would get really dirty from all that touching.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Oh yes. I hate when I'm reading it in the passenger seat of the car and we pass under some light that reveals...a dust particle! Then I'm blowing on the screen to try to clear it. Or trying to use the very tip of my nail as gently as possible to remove it without smudging the screen.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
I'm obsessive with all screens:  Kindle, computer, cell phone, tv.  I like them spotless and smudge free.  My cell is the worst to keep up with because it is a touch-screen; so I just barely graze it with the edge of my nail.  Yes, probably a touch of OCD.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Sweety18 said:
I didn't get the iphone because I know the screen would get really dirty from all that touching.
I thought this too before I got mine. Thing is, the screen on the iPhone is so clear and bright that when it's on you really don't see any fingerprints. It's pretty amazing really. I only notice prints when the screen is off.

On topic, I too keep all debris off my Kindle screen, but I *never* touch it. It's always a soft cloth, my sleeve or the bedsheet to wipe dust and (OMG) cat hair off it :)

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yay, I'm not the only one!  I don't have a micro-fiber cloth secreted away in my case cuz everytime I've ever used one they seem to get the screen really smudgy and it drives me crazy.  I have a really nice soft cloth that came with my ScreenDr Screen Cleaner, but it's a bit thick to carry around.  I use it about twice a day though, not always with the actual cleaner but sometimes.  And yeah, I've become a pro at picking off bits of dust with just the tip of my finger and not touching the screen, but if I do I have to wipe the smudge off.  And yeah, I end up tilting my Kindle around to reflect the light and make sure I get off the bits of dust I don't even see while reading ><

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
Scheherazade said:
Yay, I'm not the only one! I don't have a micro-fiber cloth secreted away in my case cuz everytime I've ever used one they seem to get the screen really smudgy and it drives me crazy. I have a really nice soft cloth that came with my ScreenDr Screen Cleaner, but it's a bit thick to carry around. I use it about twice a day though, not always with the actual cleaner but sometimes. And yeah, I've become a pro at picking off bits of dust with just the tip of my finger and not touching the screen, but if I do I have to wipe the smudge off. And yeah, I end up tilting my Kindle around to reflect the light and make sure I get off the bits of dust I don't even see while reading ><
This is what I hate about the current "microfiber" cloths--I think they're absolutely useless. The 20 year old one I spent a fortune on looks & feels a lot like thin silk, and it REMOVES fingerprints without chemicals or even water, it doesn't just push them around. Unfortunately the company went out of business years ago, and I've yet to find another cloth half as good as this one.

The obsessive compulsive comment cracks me up though. My iPhone has fingerprints all over it (as akjak said, you don't see them when it's on), my laptop is a mess, and don't get me started on either the house or the car. Dust on the Kindle though drives me up a wall, but to me, every "screen protector" I've ever seen or used is worse. Between the bubbles, the trapped dust, and the gunk that accumulates on the edges, they're far worse than the original problem. Cleaning glass is easy. Cleaning plastic, to me, is a lot less so--it scratches and the dust is even more attracted to it.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Sweety18 said:
This is one of the reasons I didn't get the iphone because I know the screen would get really dirty from all that touching.
Bah. I just wipe it off with my t-shirt. ;D

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
I have a screen protector on it and clean that with Monster Screen Cleaner and a microfiber cloth about twice a week.  I'm always blowing it off also.  I try not to touch it with anything if I can help it to avoid smudges.  I also carry a mini-microfiber cloth in a pocket on my cover.

·
Registered
16 Posts
This is also the reason that I have stopped letting people hold my Kindle when out in public.  For some reason, people always think that it is a touch screen and start pressing on it!  I even had one lady remark that she did not realize that my skin was a skin, and started picking at the edge do see if it would lift up!!

·
Registered
294 Posts
I never touch any of our screens. I have to clean our computer screens periodically from other's fingerprints and just air crud that lands on them and stays.  If anything lands on Tyrella's screen, I breathe directly on the mark, then gently wipe my breath condensation off with a clean cloth, usually the little fabric that came with my eyeglasses. This works great.  Don't know how to say this with better words... 
I keep her cover closed when I am not reading, and keep her in a safe place, where no one will step or sit on her.  I am very careful with her. 
I just replaced the power supply in our 4.5 year old iMac G5, but have no idea how to fix Tyrella's screen, should it get trashed.  Go figure...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts