Kindle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My DX needs it nearly every other day and I just got it. I AM using it quite a bit and I'm playing games. Seems I read about Kindles staying charged for two weeks to a month. Is there possibly some app I don't know about that I need to turn off? Thanks!

·
Registered
872 Posts
I believe mine is a Kindle 3. If I keep wifi on 24-7 and read it at least several hours a day, the charge seems to last about 30 days. If I only turn wifi on to download a new book and then off again (plus read a bit less often), it lasts for 2-3 months, apparently. So it sounds like you may have a problem with your battery life.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Playing games can discharge the battery very quickly.

The Kindle works on the approach that it only has to do something every time you press a button, and when you are reading that's a page change button only every 30 seconds or minute or so. The rest of the time it's almost asleep.

This is helped of course by the e-ink screen that doesn't use power except when changing.

If you play a game you are typically pressing buttons much more often, and the screen is having to refresh much more often. This eats up power.

If the game is web based (as some are), the wireless is using up power as well.

I'd suggest you try using it for reading only for a few days with the wireless off, and see how it gets on. If it still needs charging every other day it could well be faulty - if the battery life improves then that's the explanation, and you'll either have to play less games or live with charging it regularly.

·
Registered
8,822 Posts
My K3 will stay charged well over a month of standard reading (no games or web browsing) I keep the WiFi turned off unless I am shopping or downloading.
I usually recharge when indicating below 50%.

Gaming on a DX likely decreases charge life considerable.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Since I got my tablet (oh man do I love my tablet), I hardly ever have to charge my kindle. I used to use it for Web browsing, but now all I use it for is reading. Which it's much better suited for.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
I only use mine for reading, (must learn how to check email.....) and mine lasts for about a month.  I'm always shocked when the low battery warning pops up.  It's like I forget it even needs charging. 

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
I put my K3 on the charger every 2-3 weeks. I have the charger by the bed and when I see the battery down to half or lower, I just plug it in overnight after I'm done reading.

Mike

·
Registered
46 Posts
I only put my wi-fi on when I have downloaded a book. I read a couple of hours a day and mine last well over a month.

:)  :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts