Kindle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new book has been on sale for 5 days (after a 5 day KDP Select free run). I'm keen to try out different price points in order to find out the optimum price.

It's currently at $4.99, which is a great price for a book this long. However, I am keen to drop the price to $2.99 for a while to see how much sales increase (if any). This would also help me go up in the rankings for my niche, which will help help bring in more sales.

My hope is that I can break the top ten...and then once I have increased my daily sales and encouraged more reviews etc, I can slowly increase the price -> $3.49, then $3.99, then $4.49 etc....until I reach a price point where sales start dropping.

Is it best to keep the price of a new book the same for the first few weeks? Or should I be thinking about trying out new price points as soon possible.

I would love to hear what strategies other authors use :)

Kevin

·
Registered
5,659 Posts
I don't have any experience with non-fiction so I can't offer any advice, but I do wish you the best of luck with your blogging book.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Dropping your price actually causes several random Kindle Promoter sites to pick it up as a "Price Drop".  Because you're not selling the same book to the same customer, they aren't going to see the slow incline like, say, someone buying gas at the station.  What I usually do is drop my price once a month for those promo-bots, then bounce it back up to its regular price, then drop it again.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
KateDanley said:
Dropping your price actually causes several random Kindle Promoter sites to pick it up as a "Price Drop". Because you're not selling the same book to the same customer, they aren't going to see the slow incline like, say, someone buying gas at the station. What I usually do is drop my price once a month for those promo-bots, then bounce it back up to its regular price, then drop it again.
Interesting. I wasn't aware of books being picked up as price drops. I'll leave it for a few days at least, and see how it performs.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
KateDanley said:
Dropping your price actually causes several random Kindle Promoter sites to pick it up as a "Price Drop". Because you're not selling the same book to the same customer, they aren't going to see the slow incline like, say, someone buying gas at the station. What I usually do is drop my price once a month for those promo-bots, then bounce it back up to its regular price, then drop it again.
This...only I'm done dropping prices, as it's time for me to earn what I know my books are worth...minus my occasional kdp giveaways. ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts