Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 132 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you see people with their Kindles in public often? I don't think I've ever seen someone with a Kindle. I've seen a friend of mine with a Sony eReader at school but that's about it.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Now that you mention it, never.

And most conversations I have with people who don't own Kindles reveal they don't really understand what kind of device it is.  They always express surprise that I have a cover with a light for it, because they pictured it as some sort of really wimpy iPad that can only be used to read books.  Once I start talking about e-ink, I can tell I've really lost them and they start tuning me out.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Not often but my husband rides the bus and sees them all the time. I think that a majority of people don't read much in general. I'd be interested to know what people in major metro areas, who ride mass transit, are seeing.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I took mine to my doctor appointment.  There are no magazines anymore because of hygienic concerns in waiting rooms.  All others were reading on their iPhones/Touches.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I've seen Kindles in public only a small handful of times.  I recently had jury duty and was shocked to not see a single Kindle (other than my own, of course!) or other e-reader the entire day I was there.  I did see lots of iPads and laptops, though.  ;)

·
Registered
513 Posts
Twice. a friend bought one after i introduced them to the concept. And once on a train. I felt like going up and congratulating them, but sadly i did not !

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
I'd be interested to know what people in major metro areas, who ride mass transit, are seeing.
I'm a daily NY City subway rider, and I see people reading Kindles on the subway several times a week. I also see iPads almost every day. I'm still a bit nervous about reading the Kindle on the subway (especially after reading here about someone (Scarlet I believe?) having one snatched out of their hands recently on the subway. I do read it on the Long Island Railroad, and last time I did that, the woman who sat down next to me was also reading a Kindle. I've definitely noticed an increase in mass transit Kindle use since the K3 came out.

·
Registered
951 Posts
The only time I have ever seen a Kindle (or other ereader) out in public was when I was on a plane to Orlando.  I know other people in Idaho have them, since I hear them talk about them but I think my mother and I are the only ones who actually take them out of the house. ;)

·
Registered
20 Posts
There are not too many fans of reading in this world are they. Infact nowadays they are frowned upon by the society. They think not reading is cool! Idiots eh?

·
Registered
114 Posts
I've run into maybe 4 or 5.  Before I had my own Kindle I always asked to look at it.  To be honest, though, I only take my Kindle with me when I know for a fact I'll be waiting for a long time somewhere.  It doesn't surprise me that I don't see them very often in public.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I used to take the K3 with me all the time in my purse, but when I switched to a smaller purse I no longer had room for the K3.  If I'm out and about and feel the need to read I typically just use the Kindle app on my android phone, or sometimes one of my android Archos mp3/tablets if I happen to have one with me.

·
Registered
445 Posts
happyme said:
There are not too many fans of reading in this world are they. Infact nowadays they are frowned upon by the society. They think not reading is cool! Idiots eh?
I see people reading all the time. I don't get the idea that it's frowned upon, or that someone's an idiot because they're not reading War and Peace in the grocery checkout line.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
I see them several times a week.  A year or more ago, I was constantly interrupted by people wanting to see mine.  But now they are in local stores, no one asks any more.  Which is a good thing.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Never, but then again in SA buying things from overseas is a rarity and people prob would be far and few between. Out of everyone one I know, only 3 others have Kindles and they're obsessive readers (and two arent even my "friends" lol)

·
Super Moderator
67,350 Posts
I think, on the whole, people actually read a lot more than they used to. . . and part of that is the convenience of devices like e-readers, smartphones, and tablet computers.  Every time I ride the bus or metro around here I see lots of people reading: some have traditional books/newspapers/magazines -- or documents clearly related to their jobs -- but more and more often they're using electronic devices.  Once at the bus station I walked past a line of people waiting for a particular bus and there were at least 5 e-readers and several more smartphones in use. There's no 'looking down on' that I've observed.

But then, Arlington and Alexandria are both on Amazon's list of 'most well read' cities. . . . ::)

·
Registered
701 Posts
"Those Who Never Leave Their Home Without Their Kindles" must not live in my area because I have never seen anyone with a Kindle in public around me.  I've seen plenty of iPads though.

·
Registered
685 Posts
I've seen two, one lady used to bring her granddaughter to gymnastics and she had one, and then there is a mom at speech therapy that has one.

I've only seen 2-3 iPads (DD and I both have them) out in public too. I know there are more because a couple of ladies have mentioned to us how they love theirs for reading on (I live next to a massive retirement community).

I spend an insane amount of time waiting in waiting rooms, so I'm often surprised at what i don't see more often, most parents express jealousy at my iPad for entertainment.

1 - 20 of 132 Posts