Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 132 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you see people with their Kindles in public often? I don't think I've ever seen someone with a Kindle. I've seen a friend of mine with a Sony eReader at school but that's about it.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Now that you mention it, never.

And most conversations I have with people who don't own Kindles reveal they don't really understand what kind of device it is.  They always express surprise that I have a cover with a light for it, because they pictured it as some sort of really wimpy iPad that can only be used to read books.  Once I start talking about e-ink, I can tell I've really lost them and they start tuning me out.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Not often but my husband rides the bus and sees them all the time. I think that a majority of people don't read much in general. I'd be interested to know what people in major metro areas, who ride mass transit, are seeing.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I took mine to my doctor appointment.  There are no magazines anymore because of hygienic concerns in waiting rooms.  All others were reading on their iPhones/Touches.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I've seen Kindles in public only a small handful of times.  I recently had jury duty and was shocked to not see a single Kindle (other than my own, of course!) or other e-reader the entire day I was there.  I did see lots of iPads and laptops, though.  ;)

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
I'd be interested to know what people in major metro areas, who ride mass transit, are seeing.
I'm a daily NY City subway rider, and I see people reading Kindles on the subway several times a week. I also see iPads almost every day. I'm still a bit nervous about reading the Kindle on the subway (especially after reading here about someone (Scarlet I believe?) having one snatched out of their hands recently on the subway. I do read it on the Long Island Railroad, and last time I did that, the woman who sat down next to me was also reading a Kindle. I've definitely noticed an increase in mass transit Kindle use since the K3 came out.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I used to take the K3 with me all the time in my purse, but when I switched to a smaller purse I no longer had room for the K3.  If I'm out and about and feel the need to read I typically just use the Kindle app on my android phone, or sometimes one of my android Archos mp3/tablets if I happen to have one with me.

·
Registered
445 Posts
happyme said:
There are not too many fans of reading in this world are they. Infact nowadays they are frowned upon by the society. They think not reading is cool! Idiots eh?
I see people reading all the time. I don't get the idea that it's frowned upon, or that someone's an idiot because they're not reading War and Peace in the grocery checkout line.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
I see them several times a week.  A year or more ago, I was constantly interrupted by people wanting to see mine.  But now they are in local stores, no one asks any more.  Which is a good thing.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Never, but then again in SA buying things from overseas is a rarity and people prob would be far and few between. Out of everyone one I know, only 3 others have Kindles and they're obsessive readers (and two arent even my "friends" lol)

·
Super Moderator
67,668 Posts
I think, on the whole, people actually read a lot more than they used to. . . and part of that is the convenience of devices like e-readers, smartphones, and tablet computers.  Every time I ride the bus or metro around here I see lots of people reading: some have traditional books/newspapers/magazines -- or documents clearly related to their jobs -- but more and more often they're using electronic devices.  Once at the bus station I walked past a line of people waiting for a particular bus and there were at least 5 e-readers and several more smartphones in use. There's no 'looking down on' that I've observed.

But then, Arlington and Alexandria are both on Amazon's list of 'most well read' cities. . . . ::)

·
Registered
701 Posts
"Those Who Never Leave Their Home Without Their Kindles" must not live in my area because I have never seen anyone with a Kindle in public around me.  I've seen plenty of iPads though.

·
Registered
685 Posts
I've seen two, one lady used to bring her granddaughter to gymnastics and she had one, and then there is a mom at speech therapy that has one.

I've only seen 2-3 iPads (DD and I both have them) out in public too. I know there are more because a couple of ladies have mentioned to us how they love theirs for reading on (I live next to a massive retirement community).

I spend an insane amount of time waiting in waiting rooms, so I'm often surprised at what i don't see more often, most parents express jealousy at my iPad for entertainment.

1 - 20 of 132 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.