Kindle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys I am new here so I apologise if I annoy anybody by creating something that has already been discussed. I was wondering if fantasy is a genre that sells really well? I am currently in the middle of the only story that I have ever stuck with and I believe that it would make for good reading once it's finished. I personally think that chick lit and romance are probably the best selling ebooks but I chose the fantasy genre because I was writing for myself and not for other people. Once I have published, will I make anything from it? I look forward to your replies.  :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Krista D. Ball said:
What subgenre of fantasy?
that is a hard question because i'm writing it and changing my mind about things all the time so i'm not quite sure on sub-genre yet because i can't decide whether to keep it more realistic or not. this is why i asked the question because even though i am writing for myself, i want to know if my story would be sellable.

it is sort of dark fantasy/epic. my main character is a typical hero character and the story is based around her and her adventures.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Well, let's see:

Number:
#1 in fantasy is #6 in the Kindle Store
#2 in fantasy is #12 in the Kindle Store
#3 in fantasy is #30 in the Kindle Store
#4 in fantasy is #38 in Kindle Store
#5 in fantasy is #39 in Kindle Store
#6 in fantasy is #44 in Kindle Store

So I would say that, since the top 6 rated fantasy books are in the top 50 overall, fantasy is pretty popular.

Or, since all 6 are George RR Martin, maybe he's the one who's popular...not really sure (holy S***!!).
Seriously, I think it's a popular genre. Mine's epic fantasy and it's doing all right--though I'm no George RR Martin (top 6; holy S***!!).

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
I don't know how well it sells but I just wanted to say - good luck!

I am working on four fantasy novels myself, a stand alone and a trilogy.  Like you, it's because it's what I want to write rather than because it's what sells!  Mine are non-magical, historical fantasy-land, adventure/romances (I suck at pigeonholing my work into a particular genre!)

·
Registered
74 Posts
Fantasy is maybe the most populat when it comes to writing - but not concerning reading/buying.
So competion is tough.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Sandra Edwards said:
Most definitely. Just as David Dalglish :)

Sandy
lol, agreed.

I'd say fantasy is a great genre to write it. It tends to have a pretty loyal following, I think. :]

·
Registered
300 Posts
orchidpink said:
that is a hard question because i'm writing it and changing my mind about things all the time so i'm not quite sure on sub-genre yet because i can't decide whether to keep it more realistic or not. this is why i asked the question because even though i am writing for myself, i want to know if my story would be sellable.
If you are worried about how well your story would sell, put a large focus on editing and revisions. If you worry too much about genre based on profit, you will unnecessarily taint your story. Tell your story, polish it till it shines, then put some effort into formatting and a good cover. Too many people are trying to write "What's In" these days and losing focus on what's important (to me, anyways). Write your story for you. If it's any good, you will see some long term returns.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Zelah Meyer said:
I don't know how well it sells but I just wanted to say - good luck!

I am working on four fantasy novels myself, a stand alone and a trilogy. Like you, it's because it's what I want to write rather than because it's what sells! Mine are non-magical, historical fantasy-land, adventure/romances (I suck at pigeonholing my work into a particular genre!)
Oh that's what I love to read and there just doesn't seem to be enough around! Let me know when it's out, pls. I also have an idea for something similar but it needs to wait until next year, sigh.

Good luck to all the fantasy writers out there. You rock.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts