Kindle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my big problems (besides not writing enough) is I watch too many historical documentaries.  I was watching one history (The History of Scotland) and as usual it started sparking story ideas.  In the end I ended up with an idea for tracing the fortunes of a family across five generations.

The plotting I've done so far basically split it into 3 or 4 novella length sub-stories that combine to tell the whole story.  What I'm wondering is how to best release them.

Do I release them each individually and leave it at that or do I write them all up and release them as one book? (Given I'm aiming for around 40K per sub-story, it would be a fairly hefty book.)

I'm currently wavering towards writing and releasing them individually and when done putting them in an anthology (perhaps with some bonus material) but I'm still not certain yet.

·
Registered
4,594 Posts
Or could you do two books and put 2 novellas into each volume?  People might be more willing to buy two volumes then to buy four individual novellas. 

You can always try it one way and if it doesn't seem to fly, try the other method.  :)  Sounds like a cool series.  Good luck with it!  :)

·
Registered
6,565 Posts
I think the idea of four novellas is great -- just make sure each story really is a story of its own, and not just a chapter or so.  (And subtitle them something like "Book 1" so people know they're getting a part of a set.  Call it a "quadrology" if you like.

The advantage of doing like Jeanne said is that you could potentially price two novellas at $2.99. (Although many price stand-alone novellas that high.)  But the advantage of publishing them separately as well as in a collection is that you hit several different price points and audiences. 

Camille

·
Registered
8 Posts
Personally I liked the idea of two collected books (two novellas each), but I think selling each novella individually would give a reader something more to look forward to if they started following your series. (not that this should be a primary focus, but it would increase your profit margins too)

Plus the collected anthology once it's completed would be a lovely culmination for your loyal readers.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
I like the idea of two novellas per book, too. It would be as long as a novel and then there's the added benefit of another book waiting in the wings when you're done reading the first.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I would suggest releasing bit by bit. That way you can judge reader reactions.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I think you should publish the parts separately. That way you'll be able to gauge the reader's reaction as you publish.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the ideas - gives me something to think over while I'm writing them up.

The two books of two novellas could work well as there is a rather good cut off point at one stage between the time the 5th generation son in a boy and when he is a man.

·
Registered
20,435 Posts
Just do an anthology.  If you do both separate novellas and then an anthology, you may irritate readers who accidentally buy both.  Or feel that in order to get the bonus material they have to re-buy stuff they already have.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts