Kindle Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How similar do you consider your MCs to yourself?

Mine are pretty much the complete opposite of me lol...

me = 5'10, 140 lb weakling male who's uncoordinated and not good at any sports

my MCs = usually epic female warriors who have killed hundreds-thousands of men and are literally top 3 or higher among warriors in their world, or in the case of the ones who don't kill (ie. the modern stories) have fought and beaten up some of the best fighters in the world, and if plopped into any contact sport (like the NFL :eek:) would rule with an iron fist

I guess I just have a fantasy about being protected by a great warrior ;D

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
My MC is 6'3" (close to half a foot taller than I am), has better hair than I do, dresses the way I would if I could afford to dress that way, and is generally much more physically adept than I am.

So yeah, not very. :)

The rest of the cast are even further away from me. Except for maybe Rabbit.

Rabbit is average height and good with technology.

·
Registered
68 Posts
My characters are robots.

So... I guess they're a little different.

8)

·
Registered
5,123 Posts
Not even a bit

Would I, if I had my character's attributes, want to live her story? In a heartbeat!

Funny, though, how friends and family think that you're writing about yourself when writing fiction. One of my books deals with abuse on many levels and I think people think I have some deep-seated need to write about these things for personal reasons. It's just an exploration, I tell them, and they look at me funny.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Physically, my lead characters are totally based on younger versions of my wife and me. My main character shares my analytical nature, over-developed sense of justice, and impatience with politics. The female lead shares many of my wife's most feisty characteristics. In many of the scenes, I asked myself, "How would I handle this?" My lead is not exactly an anti-hero, but he's also not a blacksmith's son who discovers he's really a king. He's just a regular guy dealing with unusual problems in a world with magic.

In retrospect, I'm sure my writing was strongly influenced by my RPG experiences. I effectively placed myself into a fantasy world and built a story around it. The setting is even based on my home stomping grounds of North Idaho.

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
I have deleted this post as I do not consent to the new Terms of Service that Vertical Scope are attempting to retrospectively apply to our content.  I am forced to manually replace my content as, at time of editing, their representative has instructed moderators not to delete posts or accounts when users request it, and Vertical Scope have implied that they will deal with account deletion requests by anonymising accounts, which would leave personally identifying information in my posts.

I joined under the previous ownership and have posted over the years under different Terms of Service.  I do not consent to my name, content, or intellectual properties being used by Vertical Scope or any other entity that they sell or licence my data to.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mathew Reuther said:
My MC is 6'3" (close to half a foot taller than I am)
Speaking of which, although a bit off topic, this reminds me of a noticeable trend in the Rose novels:

the female MC is 6', 240-250 lbs depending on her diet/activity level
the male MC is 6'8, 380 lbs

Their major human opponents (who don't get run over like speed bumps) in the first 3 novels are...

a 6'6, 300 lb man
a 6'3, 320 lb man
a 6'7, 270 lb man
a 6'5, 250 lb man with effectively superhuman speed
a 8', 550 lb man
a 6'11, 400 lb man and
a 7', 300 lb woman

And the female MC's main ally in the first novel (where the male MC hasn't been introduced yet) is a 6'2, 280 lb woman. The female and male MC also fight each other sometimes when they have an argument, and once when he's possessed.

All of these guys wield giant weapons that can cleave horses in half etc. and many wear massive armor that weighs 100+ lbs. There are also many other giants between 6'6 and 7' and 300-400 lbs who are killed/beaten easily by the MCs because they aren't as skilled as the listed ones.

GIANT FIGHTING CHAMPIONSHIP. Rose is actually somewhat undersized, but her thing is more being really hard to kill rather than being Tall and/or a huge giant.

(It's a nod to the old epics where all the great heroes are described as huge and gigantic. Would make for great visuals in a movie but might require some horrible actors being cast...)

·
Registered
11,307 Posts
All of my characters are aspects of my personality, even the baddies. :)

As to my MCs, I'm very much like Elizabeth (we're even both from Texas), except I have a healthy dose of Simon's snarkiness as well.

·
Registered
16,323 Posts
I assume that all of my characters have some aspects of myself but I can't say I recognize it or put it there deliberately.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
To quote my author bio:

Writing realistic crime fiction is hard work. Martyn is a stickler for verisimilitude in fiction, even if that requires learning new skills. When your protagonist is a seasoned killer, research can take you right up to Nietzsche's abyss. Luckily, things get easier after the first kill. And, apart from being an accomplished prevaricator, Martyn already possessed several skills that qualified him to write the Amsterdam Assassin Series.

Like Bram, Martyn studies the game of Go, although he wouldn't be able to play an entire game with his eyes closed.

A former bouncer, Martyn trains in aikido and koryu bujutsu. The combination of street-fighting and martial arts provides him with the experience to write realistic fighting scenes. Plus he knows how to wield a Japanese sword convincingly.

His knowledge of Namikoshi shiatsu is reflected in Bram Merleyn's mastery of acu-pressure massage.

Like Katla, Martyn is a former motorcycle courier and loves to go for rides on his motorcycles -- both to commute in the congested Randstad and for recreation. His personal motorcycles are a tricked-out bedlinered BMW R1100GS, a dented Vespa PX200E motor scooter, and a Moto Guzzi Mille GT with EZS sidecar that he uses to cart the children around. His wife's Suzuki 650 V-Strom Black Rhino will do in a pinch.

Martyn shares his protagonist's fondness for sharp implements and projectile weapons developed before the age of firearms. His expertise with catapults, throwing blades and darts, and (cross)bows notwithstanding, he knows how to handle light firearms. And spud guns.

Although Martyn also shares some of Katla's lethal and unorthodox skills, he doesn't feel the need to use them for illegal activities. Crime might pay, but writing about crime provides a steadier income with less risk.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I don't try to write myself into my stories but I'd be lying if I said it never happens. The adventures my characters go through in my stories is just as much wish fulfillment and "what if" writing for myself as it is for my readers.   

1 - 13 of 13 Posts