Kindle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I already published with Select. They own my soul until Dec 31st, but the thing is, I created the book with Kindle Create. I wanted to be absolutely sure of how it was going to look and I thought it would be a good idea to use the Previewer feature for the drop caps and all that, so that was my logic, but now all I have is a kpf file.

The first and second drafts are on Reedsy, the third (and last so far), is on Word. I made very few tweaks through the kindle create app, so it's roughly 99.5% identical to the final kpf.

I recently reconnected with a writer friend who I wanted to have take a look at it, in case there was something I could tweak for a fourth draft. It's over 130k and I'm super busy, so I'm not looking forward to doing that grind again. If any changes are made, it most likely won't be anything so drastic as to make it a second edition, but still, the more input the better, right?

Could I give her the word file, so that I could do the track changes thing, or would I have to send her my novel as a gift and have her make notes separately?

I think I read that you can send a copy to a professional reviewer but my question is this:
[list type=decimal]
[*]What counts as a professional reviewer? Having a distinct reviewer website? A review blog on tumblr/social media? A facebook group? My friend runs a writing group on tumblr. Not really a profession, she does it as a hobby.
[*]if I want to send a book to a professional reviewer, or a review blog, or someone who'll put in on their facebook page if they like it, how do I do that? Do I gift them the book? Because I don't have an epub version to give, just the word and the kpf. What should I do, import it into scrivener and format it that way?
[*]If I make an epub on my own and give to someone for a review and they end up sharing it, or if I send the word file out for an edit and they go pirate on me, make an epub out of it and share it on their site or however, (just being hypothetical), Amazon will consider me responsible for that?
[/list]

I see articles on people being banned for minor infractions and then I see people saying they've been doing whatever for years and that all amazon cares about is if you're selling the book from Google books and kobo etc. I just want to be sure.

I know I was supposed to do ARC's and beta reviews and all that before it went live, but I just wanted to be finished and get back to my actual mandatory, must-do work, but now I feel like I've abandoned a child in a mall. I'm more distracted than ever before. Taking the effort to write a 120k romance novel and then abandoning it with zero attempts to get it read is possibly the worst feeling I've had in a while.

·
Registered
5,851 Posts
You can send your manuscript to editors, proofreaders and the like and you can send out ARC copies to people in exchange for a review. Those things are never a problem and don't affect select. What you mustn't do is publish on other platforms like Kobo or Barns & Noble and they are very iffy about giving out copies to new subscribers in exchange for their signing up to you mailing list.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
alexabooks said:
I sent a couple hundred free copies to reviewers from Goodreads over 3 years. Don't worry about it.
*Sigh of relief.*
Doglover said:
You can send your manuscript to editors, proofreaders and the like and you can send out ARC copies to people in exchange for a review. Those things are never a problem and don't affect select.
For the ARC's, the gist is that I can send them out to individual people, but I can't put it somewhere like booksprout that will involve me giving them the book to share at their discretion? One-on-one contacts only, no sites promising to handle reviewers and all that.

·
Registered
5,851 Posts
zeedaye said:
*Sigh of relief.*
For the ARC's, the gist is that I can send them out to individual people, but I can't put it somewhere like booksprout that will involve me giving them the book to share at their discretion? One-on-one contacts only, no sites promising to handle reviewers and all that.
Well, I'm not sure about that as I've never used them. But, I would think a review service would also be ok.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts