Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
13,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before the Kindle, there were BOOKS - big, beautiful, bodacious BOOKS, with all manner of fonts sizes that regalled me from an ever growing library that crept from one end of my living space to another. When I left the house, be it for a train commute in the 1970's or a "what to read at lunch time" tote (now), I would need to SELECT, and since I read more than one book at a time, I had a backpack filled with books chosen from the sagging shelf. Heavy on the back. And when carried under the arm, a balancing act. And when I dozed over my books, as I eventually do, they slipped out of my hands and jettisoned across the train or the lunchroom floor. And in bed, they would crash on my face and tumble to the floor. Oh, what troubadours we are - those who read the BOOKS.

Then - the Kindle. Now, with my entire library of 3,700 books contained in a StarTrek size (or more like an etch-a-sketch size) device, I no longer need to backpack it or tote or even make decisions before the hallowed shelves. Before the Kindle, I read about 2 hours a day, maybe three books on the go. However, as an author, I am suppose to read as many hours a day as I write, and I write for four hours a day. With the Kindle, my reading proclivity has risen to the appropriate requirement for a writer. I also have six or seven books on the go. And for a reader who has only one good eye (the other is as dumb as an olive), the Kindle's capability of resurrecting small print to Olympian sizes (and at will), has resurrected my reading life.

But there's more. I can publish on the Kindle, privately to edit on the fly, and publicly in tandem with my print output. But most of all, the Kindle has put me in league with a host of other readers and authors, who have been touched by this Promethean commodity. True, I have a TV and a DVD and a Blackberry and a YouTube capable  Computer - BUT the written word can take you to the ends of the earth and the beginnings of the first spark (which last time I looked was called, a Kindle). Just to be able to hold the wealth of the world in your hand is to be given opportunities beyond thinking - an imaginative voyage that doesn't need dusting shelf-space, but just the occasional recharge and new battery. I am never without my Kindle. It is the first thing I pick up in the morning (NY Times) and the last thing I set aside at night (beside my besotted spectacles).  And yet, there was life before it. I read before it. I wrote before it. I even got my hands dirty with newsprint before it. However, with it my life is changed - supercharged. It has helped get my thoughts out into the community and it has cloaked me with a bounty of the language's best. What more can there be? Well, one might hope for Hogwarts and Middle Earth to join the ranks Narnia, but even if they don't, I'll find room on that darn shelf that I call a shrine now, for the reticent and the recalcitrant, in a format that is now a viable alternative.

How has the Kindle changed your life?

Edward C. Patterson
author of The Jade Owl

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Glad to know what a kindle Konvert you are!  I read so much more than I did before, and I was a voracious reader, but enjoy it more now!  Plus the wonderful folks here have changed my life as well, funny, crazy (?) warm, and caring as well as being obnoxious about accessories and their kindles, I'm just like 'em ('cept for the accessories  ;D )

·
Registered
139 Posts
Truly, it is no surprise that I would wander through the Amazon website and find the device known simple as Kindle. For that is what it is and does, kindle be definition means to ignite,. Before I had my kindle I was depressed, reading habitually as a comfort to times long since passed and to mend scars that just don’t seem to go away. On average I read ten books a week, no specific genre, hardly in order and often times at the same time.  As Mr. Patterson above me it became cumbersome, my comfort was also my distress carrying around ten books at a time and carrying a sagging backpack or swelling tote.

Having found Rommy (My KK) my books remained on their shelves save for reading at home on cold days, or in the bath. My K2 Eros is now, as Rommy was, my constant companion allowing me to carry near a thousand books with me at any give moment in a very small and convenient package. Allowing me to post reviews, take notes, and be submerged in a word of other readers and writers.

Yes, I would say that the kindle has lived up to its name, It has most assuredly rekindled my love of life and the word again, rather it be written or typed makes no matter.

As Mr. Patterson called the hallowed bookshelves, it is now a shrine filled with my academic, scholastic, and fantastic adventures that have held dear in my heart for years. Can I easily cast them aside? No, for despite my E-book copy of Pandora Br Anne Rice, I have that one copy that stayed in the hospital with my over night, my copy of Stephen King’s screen play Storm of the Century that carries me through my lonely night missing my beloved.

There is a time and a place for each format, but for now, it is the era of the Kindle and it suits me just fine. The panic attacks have stopped, I am smiling and laughing again, and while my Fiancé has a huge amount to do with this, as does the ability to inhale books at a time.

The Kindle has changed my life and I would have it no other way.

Ashley K Hurley
Habitual Reader.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I have only had the sweet little Kindle for a week now, and I have already read more in that week then I have in the past year.  The Kindle has brought back a love of reading for me, because unlike you, I was unwilling to trudge heavy books from here to there so I could read in the few spare minutes I had during the day.  Now I can easily do just that and have found myself reading so much more thanks to it.

Go Kindle!!
Rachel

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Athenagwis said:
I have only had the sweet little Kindle for a week now, and I have already read more in that week then I have in the past year. The Kindle has brought back a love of reading for me, because unlike you, I was unwilling to trudge heavy books from here to there so I could read in the few spare minutes I had during the day. Now I can easily do just that and have found myself reading so much more thanks to it.

Go Kindle!!
Rachel
That sounds like my experience. My Kindle has gotten me back to being the voracious reader I used to be.

L

·
Registered
27 Posts
I can't remember the last time I finished a book before the Kindle.  Years ago, I devoured books and I think my stress level was decreased because of losing myself in fiction.  And then life happened, I started taking my career seriously and I just didn't have time to read.  I never took books with me anywhere because I carry a very small bag and hate when my covers and pages get all tattered.

I have only finished one book since I got my K2 in the beginning of this month, but it was wonderful.  I read every night now and love the compact size of an enormous novel such as Duma Key that I just finished last night.  I have $20 in promotions at Amazon and I'm choosing my next read today - I can't believe how excited I am about reading again - just like I was when I was a kid!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Like so many of you my true love of reading has been returned. Three years ago I had a stroke. As a result I lost the periperal vision in my left eye.  Reading regular books no longer appealed to because for some reason it just bugged me not being able to see the page to my left. Reading became more of a chore so I just stopped reading.  I discovered the Kindle and thought this just might be something I would enjoy as there would be no page to the left. I was right. I have come to love reading again and am constantly reading something. I am in love with my Kindle. It gave me a huge part of my life back.

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
The Kindle has brought back my love of reading. There was a time when I was never found without a book (or 2 or 3) in progress. Raising kids and full time work took away from my reading time to where it was almost extinct. I love being able to have my Kindle with me at all times and being able to read whatever and whenever I want. Life is good!

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
The Mrs. doesn't hound me as often to pick up the books I leave lying around everywhere.  ;D

·
Registered
501 Posts
There are so many inspirational stories of renewed passions in reading here on KB!

I used to be a voracious reader in years past, but with work, wife and family, the time just got too short, and I gave it up, for the most part. Getting Kindles for my wife and myself 2 months ago has changed BOTH of our lives, for the better! I never go anywhere without my KK, and with an 8GB SD card, I have most of my desired library with me, at all times, in this tiny little electronic marvel! (Well, if JK Rowling and the Tolkien estate would cave in, I would have!) Friends, coworkers and family notice it constantly, and I've "sold" at least a dozen of these things for Amazon through them! I'm generally reading 3-4 books at any one time, and love the ease at which I can do this now, wherever I am!

And yet, as elegant as the Kindle is, without the wireless delivery from the Kindle Store (and from feedbooks, mobileread, etc.) the experience would be so inferior! Jeff Bezos and the design engineers in R&D have enriched my life, and that of many family members and friends!

The icing on the cake has been all of you here on KB - informative, friendly, funny, and people that I look forward to interacting with almost every day! Have a great day, all!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Okay so you all have said exactly what the kindle has done.  It has transformed the world of literature.  I too have consumed so many different types of books and I have developed such a passion for a material object.  I have bought it a cover made of the finest leather, a skin full of glorious colors and a jacket with a zipper to put in my purse.  I have filled it with all types of reading I would never have done before, and I love every minute of it.  This Kindle is a lifesaver, it is an obsession. 

All I can say is thanks Amazon for changing my life.  I am so much happier.

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
Ed,

What a nice post about the Kindle. I own hundreds of books and my house is crammed with bookshelves. Still haven't got quite enough saved to get my Kindle, but I'm getting closer every day. It will be so wonderful to have a library I can hold in one hand. And instead of having a stack of TBR books in every room of the house, all I have to do is carry a Kindle. Never again when I go to a doctor's office will I have to sit and read magazines that are 3 years old--not when Kindle can fit so nicely in my purse.

Linda
author of Night Camp

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Don't forget the coin star machines and get Amazon gift cards, they will add up quickly!

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
kyliedork said:
wow, this is getting really cult like, or everyones prozac is kicking in at the same time.
Prozak? We don't need no stinkin' Prozak! We have Kindles and KindleBoards! :D
(Apologies to the movie, Blazing Saddles) ;)

·
Registered
13,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank you Linda. I wrote it from my soul to my toes. I have also plastered it out on blogs and everywhere I could catch hold of Kindle owners and readers. I put a link directly into Kindleboards through Amazon, a herald to get my readers and all readers over here to this excellent board. I even posted it on Author's Den, where I have had 13,000 visitors since January 2009 - and there are 1.4 million author's den members - so hopefully this article and others I intend to write will help swell Kindleboards membership.

Edward C. Patterson

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
kyliedork said:
wow, this is getting really Kult like, or everyones prozac is kicking in at the same time.
Fixed that for ya ;)

We need t-shirts.
Kindle Kult, 'shopped onto a Kindle screen...

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
MarthaT said:
Its truly a great product, dont know how I lived w/out it
I don't know about living without it... hehe but it is a nice extra "thing" to own. :)

·
Registered
250 Posts
Like many others here, I've always read.  Perhaps one or two hours most days, pre-kindle.

Now, it's more like five hours, minimum.

Oh!  And don't even get me started on Indie Authors!  I'd have missed so many really, really great books!  NTM getting to "know" the authors.  I think this board is a mutually beneficial bridge between authors and readers. 

I'm quiet here, but I'm on every day. IRL I "preach" the board, with it's well read, friendly members, and the wonderful authors I've discovered through it, to everyone even remotely interested in listening!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts