Kindle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you check your ranking within a category? All I can find is my ranking in all paid Kindle books.

Not that I need something else to obsess over...but how?

Thanks!

·
Registered
413 Posts
It just shows up under my book. I think if you're ranked in the top 100 in a category, it will show up under your overall ranking.

Mine disappears when I fall out of that, so I'm assuming that's how it works.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Toni,

If you go to the main Kindle eBooks page on Amazon, you will see all the categories listed on the left. If you click the appropriate category--in your case, "Mystery & Thrillers"--it will lead to sub-categories. Again, in your case, Mystery > Women Sleuths. You can then scroll through that list to see where your title is ranked.

I notice that you have only one Kindle category on your product page (as opposed to Book categories). You are allowed two. You might consider adding a Thriller sub-category. Amazon lists the total number of books in each sub-category. For example, 5,577 eBooks are currently categorized within the Women Sleuths sub-category. I read somewhere that it's a good idea to get your book listed in sub-categories with fewer total titles, making it easier to break into a Top 100 list, and thereby gain more visibility. BUT ONLY IF THE SUB-CATEGORY ACCURATELY REFLECTS YOUR BOOK. I don't see "eco thriller," but could your book fit within the sub-category "technothriller"? If so, it would be within a sub-category that has only 1,245 titles.

Another thing to remember is that not all of Amazon's sub-categories are listed on the KDP platform. If you see a sub-category you like that isn't available on KDP, email KDP support and ask them to manually add it for you. They have done this for me several times. It just takes a little persistence.

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks so much Mike!

I'll follow your directions and see what I find.

I'm surprised to learn my book is listed only in one category, because I chose two when I pubbed (chose thriller). at least I thought I did.  Better check into it.

Good idea about asking KDP to add ecothriller. Can't hurt to ask!

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mike McIntyre said:
I notice that you have only one Kindle category on your product page (as opposed to Book categories). You are allowed two. You might consider adding a Thriller sub-category. Amazon lists the total number of books in each sub-category. For example, 5,577 eBooks are currently categorized within the Women Sleuths sub-category. I read somewhere that it's a good idea to get your book listed in sub-categories with fewer total titles, making it easier to break into a Top 100 list, and thereby gain more visibility. BUT ONLY IF THE SUB-CATEGORY ACCURATELY REFLECTS YOUR BOOK. I don't see "eco thriller," but could your book fit within the sub-category "technothriller"? If so, it would be within a sub-category that has only 1,245 titles.
Just checked my book details on the bookshelf, and it does list thriller as a second category.

Where on my product page are the Kindle categories listed? I can't believe I can't find the spot, but....help?

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
ToniD said:
Just checked my book details on the bookshelf, and it does list thriller as a second category.

Where on my product page are the Kindle categories listed? I can't believe I can't find the spot, but....help?
Kindle categories are listed about two-thirds the way down your product page under the heading LOOK FOR SIMILAR ITEMS BY CATEGORY. Yes, you are listed under "Thriller" for the pathway that starts with BOOKS, as opposed to KINDLE STORE. But since your title is an eBook, I would think that you would want both your allotted pathways to start with KINDLE STORE, since many Amazon customers searching for BOOKS don't want an eBook. Put it in front of customers who are looking for eBooks, is all I'm saying. (I'd be interested to learn if someone has another opinion on this.)

And to clarify, I did not say to ask KDP to categorize your book as an eco-thriller. As far as I know, no such category exists. The narrower Thriller category that does exist is "Technothriller." You would need to determine whether that is an accurate sub-category for your book.

Check out the sub-categories for bestselling authors who write in your genre. If there are any you like that aren't available on the KDP platform, email KDP support and ask them to manually add it. For example: my book, The Kindness of Strangers, has been compared to Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer. I noticed that one of that popular title's sub-categories pathways was Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Nonfiction > Biographies & Memoirs > Travel. But that sub-category wasn't available on the KDP platform. KDP changed it for me. Lucky for me, there are only 94 titles in that sub-category, meaning it's automatically on that Top 100 list (currently #17). It's just another way to gain visibility for your book (from readers who click on categories and sub-categories from the main Kindle eBook Page). But again, only do this if you find a narrower sub-category that truly fits your book.

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the clarification, Mike. I'll see if I can get the Kindle Books categories straightened out.

And hey, if your book is similar to Krakauer's, I'll sure be interested in reading it.

I appreciate all your help.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Mike McIntyre said:
Toni,

If you go to the main Kindle eBooks page on Amazon, you will see all the categories listed on the left. If you click the appropriate category--in your case, "Mystery & Thrillers"--it will lead to sub-categories. Again, in your case, Mystery > Women Sleuths. You can then scroll through that list to see where your title is ranked.

Another thing to remember is that not all of Amazon's sub-categories are listed on the KDP platform. If you see a sub-category you like that isn't available on KDP, email KDP support and ask them to manually add it for you. They have done this for me several times. It just takes a little persistence.
Mike, a fine, informative post. I have wondered for a long time how the sub-genre categories were assigned to our books. Initially, KDP allowed five selections, and now only two. Still, they do not offer all the categories that show on the rankings page. From what you say, Amazon will add them manually if requested. I might try that route. It seems odd that Amazon would have those categories within the rank listings, but not offer them within the publishing platform. That would require arbitrary placement by KDP staff.

Gordon Ryan

·
Registered
82 Posts
Great question and great answers! Thanks for the info. I've often wondered how to find where my novels ranked in the categories they are listed.

·
Registered
413 Posts
ToniD said:
Looks like I've got a long wait in store.
Not necessarily. Mine bounces in and out of the top 100 in the genre sub-categories every time I make a sale or two. The Kindle version has actually stayed in the top 100 in one since it released in February (on Kindle). I think it's still #60 in one.

You might be surprised on the niche categories.

I didn't know all that, Mike. Thanks for explaining it!

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks, Doug, for pointing that out.

Unfortunately, my sub-category is women sleuths with 5K or so entries. Could be awhile for me. ;)

And I need a sub-category in thriller genre, as Mike pointed out. Mine doesn't fit any of the subs, but guess I'll just pick one and jump.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts