Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We had to say goodbye to our beloved Corgi, Leah, this morning. Yesterday she suddenly started acting not like herself and while we watched her closely, it didn't seem an emergency. She was still not herself this morning so we made an appt to take her to the vet this morning and shortly before that time, she passed away. She was only 12. She grew up with my kids and was dearly loved. She was so funny with our black Lab. I'm having a hard time with this and only 2 of our kids know so far. The other 2 will find out after school. My daughter was close to her as well as I. We had a "girls club" just the 3 of us since we live in a house with 4 guys plus the male Lab. I don't even begin to know how to break it to her as I can't even keep it together myself. Our lab is 14 and doing well, but I had somewhat prepped myself knowing that this day would probably be coming sooner than later for him. I had not even thought about this with Leah. Guess it goes to show how unpredictable life can be. Any tips for a family coping with the loss of our dear Leah?

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
So sorry to hear this, KindleGirl!

*hugs*

Talk about her!  All the good, funny stories.  Have a memorial.  Make a picture book.

Betsy

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Betsy the Quilter said:
So sorry to hear this, KindleGirl!

*hugs*

Talk about her! All the good, funny stories. Have a memorial. Make a picture book.

Betsy
We lost our mother Golden Retriever rather suddenly in 2012 and Betsy's suggestions are all great!
It takes time - it will hurt for quite a while. I had to take a couple of days off of work to deal.

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
My deepest sympathies. It is very hard to lose a pet. They really are part of the family. It does get better.

·
Registered
12,722 Posts
Hugssss.

·
Registered
3,437 Posts
We had to say goodbye to our nearly 16 yr old shepherd mix, Sadie, 10 days ago.  I just miss her terribly.  Good suggestions here.  What I've always done for every dog we've had is make a collage of photos and hang it on the wall with the collar. 

Definitely tell stories!  My husband reminded me today that our Sadie once dug up a jar with $120 in it in our barn!  Made me laugh, when really all I've been doing is being sad.

I feel your pain.  Remember "dogs don't die; they're just asleep in your heart".

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
spotsmom said:
I feel your pain. Remember "dogs don't die; they're just asleep in your heart".
That is something to remember. My JRT just turned 12 and is starting to have health problems. I've always thought when he goes, I would just get another dog so I would have a new furry friend to love, but I'm too old.

Hugs to all of you that have lost your family's best friend.

·
Registered
10,391 Posts
I don't have any great tips for coping, other than not feeling guilty/bad/embarrassed about bawling your eyes out when needed. That's what I did, anyway -- plus getting a lot of support here, too. (You might not want to click that link until you're ready for another good cry.). For now, hang in there, and know the fond memories will take up more and more space from the sad ones as the days, weeks, and years go by.

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the hugs and support, everyone. It means a lot right now. It's been a tough day. It was just such a shock for all of us. Up until yesterday she was a happy, healthy girl and I would have never guessed this was in store for us today. We don't know what took her from us, and I guess that just adds to the agony, although  knowing wouldn't change the outcome. I'm happy that she didn't seem to be in pain and had a peaceful journey. Just when I think I have cried every tear possible, they start again.

To those that have lost your furry friends, thanks for sharing your stories. I know things will get better, but it sure does hurt now.

·
Registered
6,216 Posts
KindleGirl, I am sorry for your loss.

·
Registered
4,893 Posts
It'll always hurt some.  Less with time though.  Almost 49 years later, I still miss my Bro Beagle.  Shed a tear easily over him.  I have a 3.5 year old Border Terrier now.  Every once in I while get a fleeting thought . . . the day will come. 

·
Registered
509 Posts
So sorry your fur baby crossed Rainbow Bridge.  I had three dogs in my life and it was hard to deal with them dying.  There is a book by Mr. Rogers that may help.  When A Pet Dies.  Again so sorry for your lost.

·
Registered
6,126 Posts
KindleGirl, hugs and good thoughts from me and my fur babies.  There isn't much that anyone can say right now that will help - this is something you have to work through.  And one day you will be able to think about happy times with Leah and you won't tear up (much).  NogDog is right - you are going to be weepy for a while and that' s nothing to be ashamed about.  Just keep the kleenex handy.

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks again for the hugs and support. Yesterday was a little less weepy than the day before, but it's going to be a long road. I felt a little better last night after one of my sons and I had a nice talk about Leah. Of course every time I am able to focus on something else, there are still reminders everywhere. I think every tv show I've watched lately has a dog on it (when it doesn't normally) and every show has dog commercials. Last night I hooked up the Fire stick to one of our tvs, and of course one of the screens showed 2 pictures of a Corgi. Hopefully every day will get a little easier.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts